Ahhh, HELP! My filesystem is gone!
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh, HELP! My filesystem is gone!

Okay as discussed here I was torrenting something over the weekend at a workstation. I came back and Xwindows could not find anything on the file system. I post a new topic here because in taking the advice found on the subject, I attempted to run tune2fs -j but could not because the superblock was missing, I then tried mke2fs which claimed it backed up the superblock and wrote one. Then after tune2fs, the partition looks empty except for a "lost+found" folder when mounted on knoppix or fedora rescue. I could go on and on about how much important stuff I have lost, but you get the idea. I am pretty good about backing things up, but it's reasonable to assume your operating system won't LOSE YOUR FILESYSTEM. So I am on the virge of attempting a reinstall, anyone know of a way I can recover hte data. I have not formatted at all, I have just attempted to repait hte superblock and the journal. So it's reasonable to believe the files are still there. So, has anyone encountered this, is there anything I can do or should I just lament a filesystem bug that claimed a week's work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ravalox
    Okay as discussed here I was torrenting something over the weekend at a workstation. I came back and Xwindows could not find anything on the file system. I post a new topic here because in taking the advice found on the subject, I attempted to run tune2fs -j but could not because the superblock was missing, I then tried mke2fs which claimed it backed up the superblock and wrote one. ................ So it's reasonable to believe the files are still there. So, has anyone encountered this, is there anything I can do or should I just lament a filesystem bug that claimed a week's work?
    Wow, sorry to hear.......

the mke2fs is the equivalent of a "Windows Format".......You just reformatted your partition. I don't have a CLUE who would tell you to do such a thing while trying to repair a file-system.

That being said, if you are "guru" level linux and linux filesystems, you can try "debugfs", but be VERY careful when using that tool.

I personally have never tried to "undelete/unformat" a partition, but googling this "linux ext3 undelete" turned up this (somewhat hopeful) link.

http://www.pcsupport.dk/software/Too...partition.html

Good luck, let me know if you run into any problems.
    Only dead fish go with the flow....

Hmmm, what did I miss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give the partition recovery software a try, I'll tell you what I find. Truthfully though this is really unacceptable. I was trying to showcase linux for my coworkers and I think the consensus is that we are not to be using it. And frankly not only can I not blame them, I think I need to back up all the data on my home fedora box and flatten it. Any operating system that can just eat your filesystem like this does not get my vote. Moreover, I have seen enough google footprints to make me believe this is not as rare an occurance as it should be. Of all the trouble I have had with windows, every single problem never compromised my ability to recover my data. The notion that your file system can vanish is simply a ludicrous way to roll the dice on an operating system. I know I sound whiney, but there clearly is merit to everything I am saying, some of this is frustration; but the simple fact is I was bittorrenting some linux isos and suddenly I have an unmountable drive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you were trying to showcase Linux, using Fedora was probably the worst choice you could have made. FC is a test distribution for RedHat, not what anyone would consider stable or suitable for a corporate environment. I would eat my words and try another distribution - one that is stable, doesn't change as quickly, and has support. You can try out others, like Novell or Mandrake, demo the "freebie" and then discuss options for the supported versions.
    Linux User #28251 (April '93)
    Professional Java Geek :cool: