Using Xfce 4 as the only desktop
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    DryCellBattery Guest

Using Xfce 4 as the only desktop

Hi, I'm using Xfce 4.2 and have no intentions of keeping gnome or kde. I don't mind having a few apps that need qt such as qsynth and muse, but I hate it that apps like the gimp and gaim (packages that normally don't require gnome) depend on gnome libs. I love firefox, but I'm annoyed that it has to launch gconf with it. FC3 is very gnome integrated which is nice for those that use gnome, but what about for those that don't?
    At the moment it seems that my only option I have to fetch my own source tarballs or rpms, and compile and install. Everyone has been raving that with FC3 they had choice as to what to run, but it seems to me that I must have gnome installed no matter what, unless I spend oodles of time making custom packages for gimp, gaim, jack-rack, swarmi, openoffice. It's a kick in the knee when many of these don't normally require gnome.
    I have little experience with src.rpms and compiling from source, but I have install chkinstall to install rpms from source packages. Should I install to /usr/local? or is it ok to install to /usr?
    Firefox has been the worst for trying to make my own build with gnome features disabled, has anyone else tried this?
    Last edited by DryCellBattery; 30th January 2005 at 03:57 PM.

DryCellBattery Guest
    The anger is starting to subside...
    Would there be any benefits in having gconf or gnomevfs with xfce 4.2? If is isn't really useful then I don't want to run it. Thankfully I won't have to compile too many apps without gnome, but I just might cave in and say to heck with it.

jayemef Guest
    You have to realize that Fedora is a RedHat distribution, which means it inherently coincides with gnome (which is why RH users often prefer it). So it should be no surprise that it's designed like this. You still have the option to use other DE/WM's though, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. Are you low on disc space that you MUST remove gnome? If so, buy more. Harddrives are cheap. I don't really see much reason in having to remove gnome entirely...

foolish Guest
    Fedora tries to make an integrated, polished desktop distribution, this means that they try to make all software look and behave the same way. Because of this the fedora packages has some dependencies that aren't really needed to get the software to work. If you want to build your own system from the ground up, get a distro that lets you do that more easily.

greatscot Guest
    My system:
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 160Gb HD, 512Mb ram and I am running FC3 as the OS and WindowMaker as wm.
    I installed FC3 with everything and am currently using 11% of my hd. I am guessing that I don't even use half of the apps that are installed on my hd, and, I won't worry about it until I am using more than 75% of my hd space.

Originally posted by jayemef:
    You still have the option to use other DE/WM's though, so it shouldn't be much of a problem. Are you low on disc space that you MUST remove gnome? If so, buy more. Harddrives are cheap.
    I agree. I don't use KDE or gnome as DE/WM and hard drives are inexpensive. I have 2 hd's. One that I currently use and one that I have installed everything in FC3 on just in case I need a quick replacement.

Originally posted by foolish:
    Fedora tries to make an integrated, polished desktop distribution, this means that they try to make all software look and behave the same way.
    I really like the hact that Firefox, gaim, KGet and Kontact have a consistent look. In fact, the Bluecurve theme and the consistent look of apps are two of the main reasons I love Fedora Core.

If you want to build your own system from the ground up, Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/) may be more suited to your needs.

DryCellBattery Guest
    Well, I'm just going to install Gnome (mostly for other people), the Gimp, Gaim, and OpenOffice. One thing that irked me was that I couldn't edit the Gnome menu. Opera puts itself in wierd places, and I wanted to hide some apps showing up in the menu. Another annoyance was gstreamer, needs more development. However, I just may stick to Xfce as my main desktop of choice, though it's a bit confusing for my friends who know not the ways of the lightweight linux desktop. Thanks for your input.
    Yes I tried Lunar Linux and Gentoo. I didn't get very far with Gentoo, and Lunar (though much easier to install) wasn't quite for me. Maybe if I had more time, but I decided I just want to USE my computer and not constant tinkering and dabbling.
    I'm not hurting for hard drives or more ram, I just want to have as much available resources for music composition.

greatscot Guest
    Ooohhh, a musician... I can definitely understand your need for resources. Good luck,man.
    When you do find the killer setup you're looking for, come back here and post it for us.
    I am sure there are others out there who could benefit from your experinces.

DryCellBattery Guest
    Actually I'm just starting out, so I'm not very good. Very Brief experience with Rebirth, Fruityloops, Acid and Soundforge in Windows. Then there's my piano skills.... shudder. I have a long way to go. As for hardware, my sound card is an old Audigy and I have a Yamaha PSR 295 usb midi keyboard.
    My favourite linux apps so far are Muse for midi sequencing, and Amsynth and Zynaddsubfx softsynths. Pd interests m but the learning curve is steep.
    I'm using apt-get and synaptic to get my packages from Planet CCRMA (as well Dag Wieers, and Freshrpms). Planet CCRMA has a couple of 2.6 kernels with better low latency.

greatscot Guest
    Planet CCRMA? Dude, I would really appreciate it if you would post the .list file for Planet CCRMA that resides in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d . I have been looking for the apt repos setup for Planet CCRMA.