Lenovo Thinkbook no sound over speakers with Fedora 33
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lenovo Thinkbook no sound over speakers with Fedora 33

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad 13s Gen 2 Intel Tiger Lake (https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys...2_ITL_Spec.PDF)

The laptop came with Windows 10 pre-installed and the sound does output from the speakers on Win. I swapped out the SSD to try Fedora 33 and it was able to install without issue when I chose automatic partitioning. I noticed there was no sound playback. I plugged in headphones via the 3.5mm jack and sound outputs just fine to the headphones.

In the audio control the output devices available are:

Tiger Lake audio control Speaker + Headphone - this has a port drop down with 2 values: a) Speaker b) Headphone. Naturally I had it set to speaker and when I plug in headphones it is automatically set to headphones.

HDMI 1

HDMI 2

HDMI 3

The laptop has a dedicated HDMI port as well as 2 display outputs via a Thunderbolt port, so I guess that's what is 2, 3 and 4.

I followed this post https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comm...9310_no_audio/ and tried adding snd-intel-dspcfg.dsp_driver=1 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX. What that is was make the output device list contain only "Analog Speakers" and audio did not output from the speakers. So I reverted that change.

Next I tried updating the sof-firmware package, which as far as I could tell is alsa-sof-firmware in Fedora land. Fedora 33 came with 1.6-2 and rawhide has 1.6-4 so I upgraded to that. Didn't change a thing for me.

Does anyone have suggestions on other things I can try to get sound output from the speakers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lenovo Thinkbook no sound over speakers with Fedora 33

If you don't already have it install PulseAudio Volume Control, dnf install pavucontrol. Then check the output devices and confirm that the correct device is selected and the speakers aren't muted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installed Pulse volume control - nothing amiss there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210101_170808.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	31255

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That does look okay presuming that the device shown is the one selected on the Configuration tab. The volume is a bit low, at that point my Thinkpad barely makes a sound.

Try playing some music and see that there is activity shown on the bar below the volume bar.

Another option is to look at alsamixer on a command line and check that nothing is muted there. There used to be an issue on some sound cards with auto-mute but I haven't heard of that for a long time. It should be shown in alsamixer after pressing F6 and selecting the sound card.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ozjd
    That does look okay presuming that the device shown is the one selected on the Configuration tab. The volume is a bit low, at that point my Thinkpad barely makes a sound.
    Yep I moved that volume slider all the way from 0 to max. Made no difference. No sound on the speakers. With headphones plugged in I get sound, albeit with hissing and crackling that is more pronounced when using the touchpad.

Try playing some music and see that there is activity shown on the bar below the volume bar.
    Both when the headphones are connected as well as when they are disconnected there is activity in the bar below the volume. Which shows it is registering sound being produced on the system.

Another option is to look at alsamixer on a command line and check that nothing is muted there. There used to be an issue on some sound cards with auto-mute but I haven't heard of that for a long time. It should be shown in alsamixer after pressing F6 and selecting the sound card.
    Yup did this as well, there was nothing amiss there either as far as I could tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the system fully updated? I did some searching and found a comment that an update to alsa-sof-firmware solved some issues with Tiger Lake sound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, the I have the latest alsa-sof-firmware for 33. And I tried a package bump from the rawhide repo too.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest poking into the logs (applications>logs) and see what shows up there or direct alsa logs for debugging https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Help_To_Debug

There's different pieces that affect sound and can all cause various changes:

Sometimes not obvious, might be physical sound controls (try messing with those, maybe it will do something): https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/sol...ssues-thinkpad

Kernel

Alsa & pulseaudio

Bios

The alsa config file could in theory help here but it might not if its very broken.

So for example, you could try removing pulesaudio and try using alsa directly, updating the bios, using an older kernel, using a vanilla kernel, so on.

You could try $ alsamixer

Or testing the mic to see if its not just sound output with arecord.

Lots of stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Checking logs is a good idea but I wouldn't recommend removing PulseAudio as it is used by everything. It is likely to cause more problems than it fixes.

I'm guessing you have tried audio from more than one application although that rarely causes a problem these days thanks to PA.

Plasma appears to just use the PA settings too so there is unlikely to be anything in there that is causing the issue.

Other than that I don't know what else to suggest as you have done everything that solves the problem for most people.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Checking logs is a good idea but I wouldn't recommend removing PulseAudio as it is used by everything. It is likely to cause more problems than it fixes.
    Ymmv on that. For me it was only Steam and no big of a deal when I tested that. Its also listed with Fedora sound troubleshooting https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_t...sound_problems so take it as you will. Depends what you have installed.

Its only meant to test, not cause problems. Pulseaudio can be reinstalled

Based on what you say, logs and debugging might be the only good way to go now with this as it doesn't sound normal-ish at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re-installed pulseaudio - didn't help.

This looks relevant from the logs:
    Code:
    Jan 03 22:15:51 localhost.localdomain pipewire[1661]: [E][000000048.968917][core.c:71 core_event_error()] core 0x55dd14ea4110: proxy 0x55dd14eddbd0 id:4: bound:-1 seq:4 res:-2 (No such file or directory) msg:"can't create device: No such file or directory"
    Jan 03 22:15:51 localhost.localdomain pipewire[1661]: [E][000000048.968927][media-session.c:1971 core_error()] error id:4 seq:4 res:-2 (No such file or directory): can't create device: No such file or directory
    Jan 03 22:15:51 localhost.localdomain pipewire[1659]: [E][000000048.969829][alsa-pcm.c:33 spa_alsa_open()] 'hw:sofhdadsp,5': playback open failed: Device or resource busy
    Jan 03 22:15:51 localhost.localdomain pipewire[1659]: [W][000000048.969834][adapter.c:175 find_format()] adapter 0x55ac1e726bc0: can't get format: Device or resource busy
    Jan 03 22:15:51 localhost.localdomain pipewire[1659]: [E][000000048.969837][module-adapter.c:229 create_object()] can't create node: Device or resource busy
    Jan 03 22:15:51 localhost.localdomain pipewire[1661]: [E][000000048.981999][core.c:71 core_event_error()] core 0x55dd14ea4110: proxy 0x55dd14f0e6e0 id:43: bound:-1 seq:141 res:-16 (Device or resource busy) msg:"can't create node: Device or resource busy"
    Jan 03 22:15:51 localhost.localdomain pipewire[1661]: [E][000000048.982010][media-session.c:1971 core_error()] error id:43 seq:141 res:-16 (Device or resource busy): can't create node: Device or resource busy
    Jan 03 22:15:51 localhost.localdomain pipewire[1659]: [E][000000048.982129][alsa-pcm.c:33 spa_alsa_open()] 'hw:sofhdadsp,4': playback open failed: Device or resource busy
    Jan 03 22:15:51 localhost.localdomain pipewire[1659]: [E][000000048.982166][alsa-pcm.c:33 spa_alsa_open()] 'hw:sofhdadsp,3': playback open failed: Device or resource busy
    Jan 03 22:15:51 localhost.localdomain pipewire[1659]: [E][000000048.982197][alsa-pcm.c:33 spa_alsa_open()] 'hw:sofhdadsp': playback open failed: Device or resource busy
    Jan 03 22:15:51 localhost.localdomain pipewire[1661]: [E][000000048.982613][core.c:71 core_event_error()] core 0x55dd14ea4110: proxy 0x55dd14f0f400 id:44: bound:41 seq:156 res:-16 (Device or resource busy) msg:"enum params id:3 (Spa:Enum:ParamId:EnumFormat) failed"

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello.

If you have installed all the codecs to support the audio/video, Then the next option will be to change the usb port on the machine.
    I had that issue last night on machine that I have installed for Friend of my - that solve the issue.
    Just so you will know...Yesterday there was change in the pulseaudio volume control software.
    so...before you fire up the system,just change the USB Port then fire up the system.
    That will fix the issue for you.
    FFedora

fedoraforum.org-Wallpapers
    https://forums.fedoraforum.org/group.php?discussionid=304&do=discuss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FFedora
    Hello.

If you have installed all the codecs to support the audio/video, Then the next option will be to change the usb port on the machine.
    I had that issue last night on machine that I have installed for Friend of my - that solve the issue.
    Just so you will know...Yesterday there was change in the pulseaudio volume control software.
    so...before you fire up the system,just change the USB Port then fire up the system.
    That will fix the issue for you.
    I don't quite understand what you mean by "just change the USB Port then fire up the system". No external port is in use in my scenario. Unless you count the power delivery from the USB C Thunderbolt port.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well I see the image that you have post here from -Pulse volume control.
    And I see that the Volume is click and close in 3 of the options there (just the last one is working and not clicked).
    Try to click on the 3 options of the HDMI , but change first to all output in the bottom.
    FFedora

fedoraforum.org-Wallpapers
    https://forums.fedoraforum.org/group.php?discussionid=304&do=discuss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FFedora
    well I see the image that you have post here from -Pulse volume control.
    And I see that the Volume is click and close in 3 of the options there (just the last one is working and not clicked).
    Try to click on the 3 options of the HDMI , but change first to all output in the bottom.
    Thanks but that didn't work.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast