How can I add this startup sound to gnome?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

How can I add this startup sound to gnome?

I am triying to figure out how to add this sound to my gnome startup. You know just like in mandrake for kde. But I prefer to use gnome. Thanks for the help.

This is the link where the sound is located and it's under download #4 (Preview NEW startup sound (~450KB ogg).

BTW...if I add this command to preferences >more preferences >sessions >startup programs
    Code:
    realplay Startup1_4.ogg
    realplayer startups the sound for me but that's not how I want to do it.
    Last edited by imdeemvp; 19th January 2005 at 11:02 AM.

PeTzZz is offline Retired Community Manager
    Preferences-->Sound
    Then you should check 'Enable sound server startup' and 'Sounds for events' in the General tab. After that you should choose the Sound Event tab and change the Log in sound to your preferred sound. It seems that only .wav files are supported. So it means that you have to convert .ogg to .wav. I think that Audacity can do it.

I haven't used KDE, but this way gnome plays a sound on startup=you log in.

Nope that does not work! BUT I GOT this is what I did if anyone is intersted.

1. Download the sound to your home directory and LEAVE THERE.

2. Go to preferences >more preferences >sessions >startup programs and add this command
    Code:
    mplayer Startup1_4.ogg
    and the sound will play automatically......

3. Sound will ONLY play in the background (yes no gui) if you have mplayer installed.

I am so......happy...(well let me get it out of throat..I am so good at this linux stuff now)

TIME to do the how to.....
    Last edited by imdeemvp; 19th January 2005 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imdeemvp
    Nope that does not work!
    Don't work? Isn't it a bug then? I haven't tried it myself, but it should work.

The 'mplayer soundfile' tip is a nice alternative
    I am so......happy...(well let me get it out of throat..I am so good at this linux stuff now)
    I am also really happy with it. Really happy! It's just fantastic! So sweet. I mean the linux stuff.
    Last edited by PeTzZz; 19th January 2005 at 12:04 PM.

For some reason I could never play any login sounds in fedora but OK with slackware and mandrake. Now this will probably work under gnome only. I've not tried in KDE because I dont have it installed for fedora.

Here is the how to. Try it and let me know if it works for you too.
    Last edited by imdeemvp; 19th January 2005 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imdeemvp
    Here is the how to. Try it and let me know if it works for you too.
    It worked perfectly. I also left a comment in the how-to.

rega451 Guest
    Did you do as PeTzZz suggested? If so, you should have no problem getting a start-up sound unless something is seriously wrong with your install. All of your system sounds should be in the /usr/share/sounds folder normally. I have even added a custom start-up .wav (which I composed myself, thank you very much ) and it works fine. As was posted, you can only use .WAV files so you would need to convert any .OGG files to .WAV first. BTW - KDE has the same basic set-up protocol for sounds as Gnome. Just a different GUI.

rega451,

Does not work in fedora....try my how to it rocks!

rega451 Guest
    imdeemvp,

I think I see what you wanted. You want to boot with sound into the login screen BEFORE going into your desktop (like Mandrake and Debian). I'm lazy, I just let my computer automatically log me in. I am kind of curious about a way to set KDE as the default desktop though. I prefer Gnome, but it would be nice to know if the default desktop can be changed. Its probably simple, I just haven't found the way yet. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by rega451
    I prefer Gnome, but it would be nice to know if the default desktop can be changed. Its probably simple, I just haven't found the way yet. Any ideas?
    You should install switchdesk-gui tool with yum if you don't have it already in the Preferences-->More Preferences menu entry (Desktop Swithcing Tool).

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=92326
    Last edited by PeTzZz; 22nd January 2005 at 11:16 AM.

rega451 Guest
    Thanks PeTzZz

I installed switchdesk-gui and it works great. It even automatically added it to my preferences menu. It took me all of 5 minutes to download and install it...I KNEW it would be something simple if I just asked! BTW, I don't use yum or rpm from the terminal to install my RPM's, I just log in as root and double-click the downloaded RPM package icon and Linux takes care of the rest. I have installed a few applications that require the user to be root and not 'su' in the terminal to install them. So, to be on the safe side I just log in as root for all installations. Just an off-chance that some of these posted install failures are due to using the terminal 'su' to install applications.....Maybe?

Thanks again!

Steve
    Last edited by rega451; 23rd January 2005 at 10:06 PM.

But using yum to install software will help you install that dependencies needed by some packages and that is the biggest advantage of it. This is little how to for YUM.

rega451 Guest
    I agree, using yum can speed up the install process by setting up dependancies for you, but I like to have a hard copy of the RPM's just in case I have to reinstall the OS. This way I know it worked the first time with the dependancy packages I originally used. I save all the downloads to an MMC/SD card in case I have a really big problem. It's a little extra work, but I feel safer this way. Guess I'm just paranoid. Just a side note...I found the DAG repository http://dag.wieers.com to be a very reliable source for RPM's.

Steve