Fedora 30 Minimal Install
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedora 30 Minimal Install

Hello all,

I have few questions if you guys do not mind.

1. What is included in Minimal Install only?

2. Minimal Install + Standard?

3. Minimal Install + Standard + Administration Tools?

If you have a link with detailed information please le me know.

I want GNOME 3 desktop being able to watch movies, YouTube and Netflix as well as listen to music. Basically minimum needed video/sound codecs. In addition, I can instal Libreoffice from the add-ons. In addition need that Terminal.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fedora 30 Minimal Install

Once you put in Gnome3 it's far from minimal. Minimal install gives you a very basic system, no X environment, missing some (though not all) tools to set up wireless, and so on.
    I don't know of a good link, I'm afraid. Much of the Fedora documentation that I see assumes you want Gnome (as you do) and once you put in Gnome, it is going to add a lot of things as part of its environment.

Install of minmal environment is fairly quick if you want to experiment with a VM first.

Even though it's not what you ask for, here's a somewhat older link to a page of mine about minimal X in RedHat based systems, including Fedora.
    http://srobb.net/minimaldesktop.html

Note I talk about evdev and synaptics driver. This, on Fedora 30 can be replaced with libinput which will cover both keyboard and mouse, including scrolling, etc for a mouse.

But what is described there doesn't use Gnome and probably wouldn't allow you to watch Netflix. I think that firefox now requires pulseaudio to get sound, though Google chrome doesn't . Also, you would probably want to add the rpmfusion repos for multimedia stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smr54
    Once you put in Gnome3 it's far from minimal. Minimal install gives you a very basic system, no X environment, missing some (though not all) tools to set up wireless, and so on.
    I don't know of a good link, I'm afraid. Much of the Fedora documentation that I see assumes you want Gnome (as you do) and once you put in Gnome, it is going to add a lot of things as part of its environment.

Install of minmal environment is fairly quick if you want to experiment with a VM first.

Even though it's not what you ask for, here's a somewhat older link to a page of mine about minimal X in RedHat based systems, including Fedora.
    http://srobb.net/minimaldesktop.html

Note I talk about evdev and synaptics driver. This, on Fedora 30 can be replaced with libinput which will cover both keyboard and mouse, including scrolling, etc for a mouse.

But what is described there doesn't use Gnome and probably wouldn't allow you to watch Netflix. I think that firefox now requires pulseaudio to get sound, though Google chrome doesn't . Also, you would probably want to add the rpmfusion repos for multimedia stuff.
    Thank you very much. I just did Minimal Install with Standard that was about 400MB. Then I installed GNOME and that added another 450+MB. My total is 1.31 GB. The default Fedora Workstation is 1.31 GB (unless I am looking at the wrong info?!). So, might as well use default install because this seems to add LibreOffice, Firefox and few more apps. The only thing is that once I installed GNOME I had to set it to default as well as default gfx thing in order to be able to use it. Other than that I am not sure if I need to setup anything else other than installing things like Firefox and other apps?

One thing is that I do not want to come to the point were I did not setup something via Terminal because I did not know.

Another thing that I noticed is that after installing and even updating Fedora Workstation it gave me nvidia nanevu (whatever is called) error msg that did nothing. After adding proper nvidia drivers everything was fine. However, this issue was not present in my Minimal Install. This issue was present in regular ISO and NetInstal ISO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit: Removed the duplicate.
    Last edited by bling; 12th September 2019 at 12:57 AM.