2nd GPU causes lockup
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd GPU causes lockup

Hi All,

I've been running Fedora 30 for a while with a single 1080ti and haven't had any major problems. I recently got hold of a 2nd one with the intention of running them in SLI, but when I install it the system fails to boot with the display locked at the spinner. If I hit escape during boot to show boot messages, I can see them but as soon as X starts I get a black screen.
    In both cases, numlock/capslock are responsive and the machine will reboot cleanly if I switch to a text terminal (CTRL ALT F3) and hit CTRL ALT DEL, but I'm unable to see the terminal prompt.

What I've tried so far:
    Test each card separately - both work fine.
    Remove and reinstall NVIDIA Drivers - no change with 415.27 - 430.40
    Fallback to nouveau - locks up most of the time. 1/10 boots succeed, but unstable.

For some context my system config is:
    MSI X99SLI+
    i7-5930k
    Samsung 960 Pro M.2 PCIE boot drive
    2x NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB

With both cards installed I'm able to get into runlevel 3 okay, and I'm fine navigating around the terminal, but I'm at a loss on how to proceed.

Any ideas where I can begin troubleshooting this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2nd GPU causes lockup

I've had some issues with Nvidia. My recommendation would be to look at creating Xorg configuration files. You may need to set some different options due to your SLI. With nvidia driver installation comes the nvidia-xconfig program, which might work well to generate a new configuration, you can also try Xorg -configure to have Xorg generate a configuration file. You might also try to create your own drop-in configuration files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. It might also be worth looking at the xrandr utility and seeing what information you can gather from it. My issue was just getting a HiDPI and "normal" monitor working together properly, but I did go through all of these. Ensure for any xorg.conf file creation via the two utilities I mentioned at the beginning, that you are not at the graphical runlevel. You need to change that target, which should be done via systemctl set-default multi-user.target. I'm pretty sure that's the correct target.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2nd GPU causes lockup

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

At this point I'm just trying to get into a graphical environment with both cards installed, regardless of SLI. The nvidia driver regenerates xorg.conf during install so I'd assumed it would be fine, but I'll go through and check it.