No Grub Menu - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: No Grub Menu

When I display my drives, (hd0), (hdo,1) etc, the Linux root displays as ((lvm/fedora-root)
    This is how grub displays LVM Logical Volumes and not how Linux represents an LV. The root=/dev/mapper/fedora-root parameter is how Linux represents this block device. When you are invoking the Linux kernel you pass Linux parameters to it. All of the parameters (root=/dev/mapper/fedora-root ro rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root) are Linux parameters that are passed to the initramfs.

After reading your last post I changed the first 2 lines to:
    grub> set root=(hd0.1)
    It should be a comma ',' between the 0 and the 1. You have a period '.' I have noticed a lot of typos in your posts. If they are in your grub commands as well that is the simplest explanation as to why your kernels can't be found.

grub> set root=(lvm/fedora-root)
    You told me yourself that all of your boot files are in (hd0,1). To see for yourself run ls (lvm/fedora-root)/boot. It will be empty as it is just a mountpoint for the separate /boot partition.
    Last edited by amiga; 4th September 2019 at 12:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed a lot of typos in your posts. If they are in your grub commands as well that is the simplest explanation as to why your kernels can't be found.
    Posting to the forum is one thing, but entering the commands is another. I check every command twice before I enter it, and if it fails, I recall it and check it again. I've spent hours trying what was in that online guide, things you've suggested, and things I've found by Googling with no success. I don't know why it can't find the kernels, but I can assure you it's not because of typos or syntax errors on my part.
    I know things. It's what I do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've spent hours trying what was in that online guide
    It's time you found a better guide for your needs. One that deals with Fedora and lvm with a separate /boot partition. The guide you have been using was just the first one someone found. Unfortunately some of the guides on Fedora's own sites have errors.

I found this guide which deals with Centos (a RH family distro) on LVM with a separate /boot partition. This is exactly your situation. However it is missing some stuff such as kernel parameters ro rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap

http://dennisk.freeshell.org/cis238dl_grub.html

Since you know your /boot partition and files are on (hd0,1) you can try specifying the full path and not rely on setting root.

Code:
    grub> linux (hd0,1)/vmlinuz-5.2.9-200-fc30.x86_64 root=/dev/mapper/fedora-root ro rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap
    grub> initrd (hd0,1)/initramfs-5.2.9-200-fc30.x86_64.img
    grub> boot
    ls (hd0,1)/ should contain the kernel and initramfs as you previously stated. This is mentioned in the Centos guide. You can also use tab completion in the grub> shell so you don't have to re-type the kernel and initramfs filenames. If you just replace centos with fedora this is exactly what you should enter. You just have to add the kernel parameters below plus any others from your grub.cfg.

ro rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap

Code:
    5.3 Listing Files on the First Partition

Use ls to list the files on the /boot partition.

grub> ls (hd0,1)/

5.4 List Files on the Root Partition

Root is mounted as a LVM logical volume. Use this command to list the files.

grub> ls (lvm/centos-root)/

5.5 Rescue the System

Now that you know where to find the Linux kernel and the root partition you can run commands to boot the system. Tab completion makes it easy to find the correct kernel and matching initial ram filesystem. Use tab completion to find a matching kernel and initramfs.

grub> set root=(hd0,1)
    grub> linux /vmlinuz-<version>-<arch> root=/dev/mapper/centos-root
    grub> initrd /initramfs-<version>-<arch>.img
    grub> boot
    Last edited by amiga; 4th September 2019 at 10:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran the commands you posted, but again got 'file not found'. I ran it a second time and got 'disk (hd0,1) not found'. But, I then ran ls (hdo,1)/ and it showed me the contents of (hdo,1). I'm starting to suspect that my OS or at least some of the files may have been corrupted during the upgrade. In addition to grub not being able to find things I also cannot boot a live USB, a live DVD, or even a Fedora install image, but all of those images will boot on my laptop. I'm going to pursue the problem from that angle for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran the commands you posted, but again got 'file not found'. I ran it a second time and got 'disk (hd0,1) not found'. But, I then ran ls (hd0,1)/ and it showed me the contents of (hd0,1)
    Did you try the second approach of using the Tab key in the grub shell to complete filenames ? If the root or path is specified correctly you only need to enter the first few characters and then press Tab.

Edit: I just tried this when booting up my PC. I pressed 'c' to get a grub prompt. l used ls to find my boot directory. With grub> linux (boot_directory path) entered typing vmlinuz and pressing Tab results in all matching files in the directory displayed. Same for initrd. You can't mis-type a file if you let the shell complete the filenames. In your case entering grub> linux(hd0,1)/vmlinuz and pressing Tab should show all completions of vmlinuz-*.

I'm starting to suspect that my OS or at least some of the files may have been corrupted during the upgrade. In addition to grub not being able to find things I also cannot boot a live USB, a live DVD, or even a Fedora install image, but all of those images will boot on my laptop.
    This never made sense to me as live USB/DVD don't even touch the local disk when booting. You should be able to boot these even if you have no disk or unplug your disk. As a test you should open up your desktop, disconnect your SATA drive and then boot a live USB/DVD. If your firmware is set to boot from USB or DVD first before the hard drive it should make no difference if your SATA drive is plugged in or not.
    Last edited by amiga; 5th September 2019 at 10:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Amiga,

I had the same problem with booting after de f30-upgrade. The above guideline related to lvm helped me defining the proper path to the linux root..

Can you also guide me how to make the proper changes to the grub packages from within this f30-env (or should I first get back to a f29 build, I saw this in another guideline for recovery...) to get a proper functional grub-menu after an upcoming reboot? Thanks in advance, Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

solved it myzelf amiga:

in de new update f30 build I did:

edit /etc/default/grub by resetting the BLS thing off:
    RUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=false

and re-run:

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
    lsblk # find sdda is what i need for the diff kernels stored
    grub2-install /dev/sda

hopefully this is helping other fedora users as well, Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I discovered something interesting; grub will execute a command filled in by tab complete, even though the command is exactly what I've been typing. I guess grub prefers to do things it's own way.

Anyway I was getting excited when the commands appeared to be working, typed grub>boot and hit enter, and it actually started to boot. For about 15 seconds, then rebooted to grub>. The same commands on my laptop resulted in it booting, so something is obviously wrong with my desktop computer. Any attempt to boot anything results in an aborted boot and reboot. I'm going to check my RAM, mobo connectors, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I discovered something interesting; grub will execute a command filled in by tab complete, even though the command is exactly what I've been typing. I guess grub prefers to do things it's own way.
    This is good news. Why type in long filenames if you don't have to.

Anyway I was getting excited when the commands appeared to be working, typed grub>boot and hit enter, and it actually started to boot. For about 15 seconds, then rebooted to grub>.
    Did you add all of the kernel parameters I specified as well as extras from your old grub.cfg ?

There is the possibility that this could be a graphics issue. You could try booting into console (runlevel 3) mode by adding systemd.unit=multi-user to the kernel parameters.

Any attempt to boot anything results in an aborted boot and reboot.
    Did you try your old F29 kernels as well as the new fc30 ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, just to let a register for future users with this same problem, u need to use the chroot command and the live media u used to install, boot with the livemedia and open the terminal use the gnome-disk-utility the explore ur partitions and find out where is ur ramdisk image, will look like initramfs-5.2.11-200.fc30.x86_64.img o a /boo partition, u need to mount the root partiition and the /boot partition and use the chroot command, here is a guide,

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US..._appendix.html

this command will give u the control of ur installed system

use the $gnome-disks command to find ur root partition and than mount it on /mnt/sysimage

sudo gnome-disks

bind ur system to use:

mount --bind /proc /mnt/sysimage/proc
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/sysimage/dev
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sysimage/sys

also mount ur boot partition that have ur initram, u must mount it on
    mount /dev/sd(ur boot partition) /mnt/sysimage/boot

after all this done u can take the controu of ur sistem with the command

chroot /mnt/sysimage

than use the commands

depmod

dracut -f

and finale remake the grub just for sure, ATENTION TO USE THE RIGHT GRUB2-MKCINFIG FOR UR SISTEM AS I SAY!
    if ur system is efi than u use
    sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

if it is not efi use the command

sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, just to let a register for future users with this same problem, u need to use the chroot command and the live media u used to install, boot with the livemedia and open the terminal use the gnome-disk-utility
    You are assuming everyone uses the Gnome version that has the Gnome tools. Fedora has many spins. I use KDE myself.

then use the commands

depmod
    dracut -f
    You will need to specify the kernel version for both of these commands. It should match the kernel on the installed system you are attempting to rescue. If you don't specify anything it will use the kernel version of the live media.

Code:
    DRACUT(8)                                                                              dracut                                                                             DRACUT(8)

NAME
           dracut - low-level tool for generating an initramfs/initrd image

SYNOPSIS
           dracut [OPTION...] [<image> [<kernel version>]]

DESCRIPTION
           Create an initramfs <image> for the kernel with the version <kernel version>. If <kernel version> is omitted, then the version of the actual running kernel is used. If
           <image> is omitted or empty, then the default location /boot/initramfs-<kernel version>.img is used.

NAME
           depmod - Generate modules.dep and map files.

SYNOPSIS
           depmod [-b basedir] [-e] [-E Module.symvers] [-F System.map] [-n] [-v] [-A] [-P prefix] [-w] [version]
     If a version is provided, then that kernel version's module directory is used rather than the current kernel version (as returned by uname -r).
    Last edited by amiga; 7th September 2019 at 03:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally got the USB live image to boot on my desktop machine using the 'basic graphics' option under 'troubleshooting', although I'm not sure what's basic about it as the graphics look the same as when I boot it on my laptop.

But I had no luck with the instructions given by w3513y or the link provided. I kept getting errors, so I thought about it for a while. I had noticed you can mount any file system just by clicking on it, so I clicked on /boot. Then opened a terminal and made myself root (no pwd required), and launched gedit from the root terminal.

Code:
    [liveuser@ ~]$ su -
    [liveuser@root ~]# gedit
    Then I opened /etc/default/grub, and changed GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=true to GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=false and saved it.

Next I opened grub.cfg in gedit and saved it as grub.cfg.old. Then I opened grub.cfg.rpmnew (my old grub.cfg from before the upgrade), and saved it as grub.cfg. It asked if I wanted to overwite grub.cfg and I clicked yes. Then I rebooted, and saw a beautiful sight; a grub menu! (minus an entry for the new F30 kernel). I let it boot an F29 kernel, then reconfigured grub, and now have the new F30 kernel on the boot menu.

I still have the BLS grub.cfg (as grub.cfg.old) and my original grub.cfg (as grub.cfg.rpmnew) if needed. Bugzilla Redhat says you have to install package grubby-deprecated to prevent reverting back to BLS when kernels are updated, so I'll look into that.

Disclaimer: It worked for me, but your results may vary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is all good to hear.

I finally got the USB live image to boot on my desktop machine using the 'basic graphics' option under 'troubleshooting', although I'm not sure what's basic about it as the graphics look the same as when I boot it on my laptop.
    Have you noticed if it runs any slower although it may look the same ? From the documentation video issues happen when the video card does not work with the standard video driver such as nouveau. The "basic graphics' mode then uses a basic driver such as a vesa or framebuffer driver with no acceleration, all in software. You never mentioned what video card you have. Is it a recent NVidia ?

I still have the BLS grub.cfg (as grub.cfg.old) and my original grub.cfg (as grub.cfg.rpmnew) if needed. Bugzilla Redhat says you have to install package grubby-deprecated to prevent reverting back to BLS when kernels are updated, so I'll look into that.
    This would be the live in the past approach. You may not like this suggestion at this point but you could try manually switching to the new BLS config as i described in my first post, which was the first reply #2.

Code:
    $ type grub2-switch-to-blscfg
    grub2-switch-to-blscfg is /usr/sbin/grub2-switch-to-blscfg

NAME
           grub-switch-to-blscfg  Switch to using BLS config files.

SYNOPSIS
           grub-switch-to-blscfg [--grub-directory=DIR] [--config-file=FILE] [--grub-defaults=FILE]

DESCRIPTION
           grub-switch-to-blscfg reconfigures grub-mkconfig to use BLS-style config files, and then regenerates the GRUB configuration.

I am still running F29 with the old configuration. However before upgrading to F30 with the dnf system-upgrade I plan to manually run this script.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I installed grubby-deprecated, then a bunch of F30 updates, including a kernel, then crossed my fingers and rebooted. The grub menu appeared, and with the newest F30 kernel at the top of the list.

For obvious reasons I've been putting off upgrading my laptop to F30, but I read on Bugzilla Redhat that the grub problem when upgrading to F30 has been fixed. We shall see.

Amiga
    I didn't notice the graphics being any slower, but then I wasn't running any graphics intensive apps. My desktop has an Asus mobo with onboard graphics.

I'll try switching to bls in a day or two. Question: should I restore the bls grub.cfg before I run the command, or will the command generate a new grub.cfg anyway?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had marked this thread solved, but after trying the switch to blscfg and ending up at a grub prompt again, I changed it back to unsolved. The action did change the line in /etc/default/grub from =false to =true, and generated a new grub.cfg and renamed my grub.cfg to grub.cfg.bak. And there are 4 entries in /boot/loader/entries for it to read, but still boots to grub>. Sooo... I reverted everything back again and all is well, but I've come to the conclusion that BLS is still not ready for prime time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast