my 2700x experience on this Rainy Wednesday.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my 2700x experience on this Rainy Wednesday.

The 2700x is not the latest and greatest, but it combined with Fedora amaze me.
    I am currently running two downloads, Firefox to write here, and one dd function to create a bootable F31.
    I am also running some make files (compiling C code) and my last check with HTOP
    showed 2.3% cpu busy, with 4 gigs of my 16gigs of ram being exercised.

I am downloading to a spinning disk. My executing programs are loaded from a nvme SSD.

It appears that Linux allocated one cpu core per command line invoked task, with the exception of Firefox which has many tasks, mostly suspended, waiting to burst into action.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: my 2700x experience on this Rainy Wednesday.

Yep, plenty of power there.... I'd still be on my 2600 except I like to kick the wheels of the latest and greatest.... Now on the 3600 with 32GB to work with. Anyway enjoy. I've had no hiccups with mine and really never fully utilize it either. Nice to have it on tap though for those occasional times one might need it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    Yep, plenty of power there.... I'd still be on my 2600 except I like to kick the wheels of the latest and greatest.... Now on the 3600 with 32GB to work with. Anyway enjoy. I've had no hiccups with mine and really never fully utilize it either. Nice to have it on tap though for those occasional times one might need it!
    So, Mr Clark, It' s almost fair to say that your system can execute faster than an I/O interrupt.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry Leslie - I'm not up on the latest hardware (getting old, ya know). Is that an AMD Ryzen you're talking about?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it is. AMD Ryzen has went through three generations now (1xxx, 2xxx, and now 3xxx).

See here for list of AMD Ryzen CPUs

...your system can execute faster than an I/O interrupt
    Well, no, but will process it as fast as it sees it .

I see the Ryzen 2700x CPUs are on sale for $199 at Amazon (40% off what they used to go for).... Interesting.
    Last edited by rclark; 7th September 2019 at 02:03 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jbuckley2004
    I'm sorry Leslie - I'm not up on the latest hardware (getting old, ya know). Is that an AMD Ryzen you're talking about?
    That expression, faster than an I/O interrupt origniated with my wife, against a certain teenager of ours.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Linux Experience with amd2700x. Nice to have, some cores just never get worked on, unless you choose to run vmS

I think that in one years time, the 3600 family will be 40% less expensive than it is today. If I still need to be ahead of the crowd, then I will upgrade cpu, motherboard, and ram
    I am actually in the process of replacing 7200 spinners when I see a "good bargain".

I have an ASUS 470-pro motherboard and the first m.2 nvme is supposed to mount under the heatsink. But the screws holding the heatsink have been screwed in too tight. My jeweler sized philip screwdriver and my efforts to unscrew this decorative shield have been in vain. I read on the web that one individual drilled out the screws. I am not going to do that due to concern of iron dust and iron filings.
    I may just send the board back to ASUS and ask them to do it. The bios boot (on the MB) takes longer to startup than does Fedora.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 7th September 2019 at 05:18 PM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that in one years time, the 3600 family will be 40% less expensive than it is today.
    Yep. Next year I might be able to snag a 39xx chip for about the same price as my 3600 as I plan to stick with my Gigabyte x470 motherboard for some time as I am not taxing it at all and I am not 'missing' any must have features. Unless it 'breaks' of course. I don't know if the 4xxx series will be compatible with the AM4 socket whenever the next generation gets here, hence I may be 'upgrading' within the 3xxx family. I thought it was awesome just to have three generations of of Ryzen work on the same motherboard!! Cuts the cost of upgrading when all you need to do is drop in a new CPU after updating to latest BIOS....

Sorry to hear about your nvme standoff screw. They certainly don't need to be over tightened .

And yes, BIOS now is the 'hangup' for fast boot. But since I boot rarely, no big deal. Still would be cool to turn on the computer and from cold start be up, be running in a blink of the eye. You'd think as computers get faster, BIOS would also be faster, but it seems to just get slower .
    Last edited by rclark; 7th September 2019 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    Yep. Next year I might be able to snag a 39xx chip for about the same price as my 3600 as I plan to stick with my Gigabyte x470 motherboard for some time as I am not taxing it at all and I am not 'missing' any must have features. Unless it 'breaks' of course. I don't know if the 4xxx series will be compatible with the AM4 socket whenever the next generation gets here, hence I may be 'upgrading' within the 3xxx family. I thought it was awesome just to have three generations of of Ryzen work on the same motherboard!! Cuts the cost of upgrading when all you need to do is drop in a new CPU after updating to latest BIOS....

Sorry to hear about your nvme standoff screw. They certainly don't need to be over tightened .

And yes, BIOS now is the 'hangup' for fast boot. But since I boot rarely, no big deal. Still would be cool to turn on the computer and from cold start be up, be running in a blink of the eye. You'd think as computers get faster, BIOS would also be faster, but it seems to just get slower .
    If we can suspend Linux and when we awaken it, it starts up in 1 or 2 seconds, the question arises "Why can we not do that for the bios?" If the bios detects no hardware change, why could it not bypass all that checking for nothing that has changed.
    Leslie in Montreal