F31 Branched From Rawhide - Release Schedule
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F31 Branched From Rawhide - Release Schedule

According to the F31 Release Schedule, today's the day F31 was branched from Rawhide. From now on, posts related to F31 will go into the F31 Development Forum. Keep in mind that the release schedule is only tentative and likely to slip along the way. Check for updates.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: F31 Branched From Rawhide - Release Schedule

One month to go to get new surprises.

The recompile for F31 is underway. I just checked and the status report indicates "Started". When the update is complete, it will say one of "Incomplete" or "failed" or "Success". Incomplete means that some packages are not up-to-date. (Typically, Fedora Eclipse, groups pertaining to Audio file manipulation, and some others,)

2019-08-27
    Beta Release (Preferred Target)
    2019-09-24 Beta Release (Target #1)
    2019-10-08 Final Freeze (*)
    2019-10-22 Final Release (GA) (Preferred Target)
    2019-10-29 Final Release (GA) (Target #1)

More info found HERE
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 27th August 2019 at 02:41 AM. Reason: ()
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that I'm impatient or anything, but when will the branched F31 appear on the download sites? (Or am I just not seeing it?)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Until it is released, this site is the site to view
    For each potential F31 koji entry, check out its status
    do not bother if the status is DOOMED or STARTED as your installation attempt will fail.
    In fact, I got 0 out of 8 for other than DOOMED.

But I did visit Rawhide, and was mostly successful installing KDE with Fedora-Everything-netinst-x86_64-Rawhide-20190816.n.0.iso
    As you choose the software to accompany your choice, select a few, then click done. If the result is no redmessage about failed, continue adding topics (groups)
    I took all of KDE, LibreOffice, Development Stuff, and other choices. On reviewing grub.cfg, rawhide has a title of Fedora 32. OK, I am 6 months early. I will not rely on any of it any update to Rawhide in the next 6 months may destroy my "rawhide" copy.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 21st August 2019 at 08:11 PM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thread stuck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're getting close. The Fedora Project Release schedule Wiki page (referenced by Leslie, above) and the Fedora 31 schedule:all pagestill indicate next Tuesday is a go. But I'm a little confused about the results of yesterday's (Thurs. 10/17) go/no-go meeting, which seemed to indicate outstanding blockers (sorry - I lost the link to the discussion, which was rather informative and humorous at times) and a no-go decision, as well as another go/no-go meeting scheduled next Thursday. Also, the blocker-bug page shows me two blockers and two proposed blockers late Friday, 10/18.

Has the final decision for next week not been made? Have the pages not been updated? And what the heck does the status "POST" mean for a blocker-bug?

I think I lied above. I'm VERY confused!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am using F31 since it was branched from Rawhide. I did not experience harm or a need to reinstall. I use it on my desktop and on my laptop. I have rpmfusion and teamviewer installed, GCC ,and find Gnome 3.34 stable to use.

I also use Tumbleweed from SUSE, KDE 19.10 from Ubuntu and Centos 8 Stream.

On my desktop I am standardizing on Centos 8 Stream, because the Gnome extensions that I use, do not start or function stably with Gnome 3.34. I am staying away from using or recommending Gnome based interface distributions until the Gnome project recognizes that extensions must work from the time they were created, and continue to work for future Gnome versions. The extensions are written with Javascript to a specific Gnome release (eg 3.27... 3.34). My experience is that those extensions written to work for gnome 3.27, for the most, do not work with Fedora 31. Most do work with Centos 8 stream, including TaskBar.
    As the tools I use (GCC, LLVM, Javascript, shell), are current in the above distributions, what is underneath does not endear me to one distribution or another.
    I am also a creature of habit. My first interface to Desktop Linux was RedHat in 2004. I have stayed with Fedora since it was forked from RH and stay with Fedora, because of this forum and the camaraderie and shared knowledge/experience.

Fedora 31 is ripe to install.

Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestion (and encouragement), Leslie. Yeah - I may go ahead an install the beta this weekend, but I need to verify my backups are good first - I only have my one laptop to play with these days!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jbuckley2004
    Thanks for the suggestion (and encouragement), Leslie. Yeah - I may go ahead an install the beta this weekend, but I need to verify my backups are good first - I only have my one laptop to play with these days!
    My practice is to be well backed up nightly to one of three external drives. (I use the three in rotation). When a new version/release of Fedora is issued, I always do a clean reinstallation using a list of software I want to be "there". Why the fresh reinstallation? Along the way, I often test programs of interest and discard some. Not always can we safely uninstall "stuff" we tried and were not interested in keeping around.

As I mentioned, visit and choose from Index of /compose/branched/latest-Fedora-31/compose. Don't forget rpmfusion.org. And I almost always use the network install version (Everything) I almost never use Wayland interface, given my favorite gnome extensions fail with Wayland.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my case, I prefer to skip a release, so I'll go from F29 to F31. This method works better for me, since I always do a complete re-install and I don't want to do that twice a year, but I also prefer to not bother figuring out whats new.

I've also been using Fedora since the first days of RedHat Linux. I switched to firewalld + systemd with success and I managed to upgrade my CentOS servers without a problem.

I only had one single problem and that was Gnome3's user interface, which is terrible. I would have switched to another distro if it wasn't for the Fedora Spins. My preference is the Cinnamon spin.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I patched the Gnome extension TaskBar. It works to 90% with Fedora 31,30,Ubuntu,Tumbleweed..... It is the best dock type interface, aside from the Frippery extension. In fact, using the Frippery extension, I was able to fixup TaskBar to be useful.

When one manages TaskBar or another extension, Gnome does a close all and reopen all. TaskBar fails to reopen. But alt-f2 R, restarts the gnome-shell and taskbar is again alive.
    I am the Monkey see, Monkey try mode for gnome exensions. I understand what has to happen when we enable taskbar, but I can't seem to know how to trace extension execution.
    javascript console.log is ineffective.

My plea to others Is there a popup function within Gnome extension javascript software that does a popup. I did find a spawn application and I will try writing some stuff to disk in order to know where some api has been replaced with a newer version and interface. If you want my patched taskbar, I have a tar file with the entire extension therein.
    Taskbar is GPL3 licensed.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomorrow, Oct 22,2019, we will know if there is a go-nogo for F31. If there is a nogo, we will have to wait (im)patiently for it to be available on week later.
    Leslie in Montreal