FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Display garbled after Upgrade FC28 to FC29

I upgraded a machine from FC28 to FC29. I get a clear login screen, but after I login, the display is garbled. It's as if a normal display has been cut into small blocks and the blocks are displayed misaligned. I can get to a console and use the command line. What are the best commands to fix the display?

Update:
    The page https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_t..._Xorg_problems looked helpful. The suggestions worked to determine that the machine is using X11 instead of Wayland. However the suggestion to use
    journalctl -e _COMM=gdm-x-session
    to determine the graphics driver found no entries. The machine has an AMD motherboard with built-in graphics, so I assume the problem has nothing to do with Nvidia.

The machine was working with a Samsung TV for a monitor and a DVI to HDMI cable. I replaced the TV with an old Gateway monitor using a VGA cable. With that hardware change, the problem went away. What did the upgrade do to make the TV stop working? The TV is the monitor that I want to use.
    Last edited by tashirosgt; 13th August 2019 at 08:22 PM.
    "Never let the task you are trying to accomplish distract you from the study of computers."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Display garbled after Upgrade FC28 to FC29

may u post an image?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Display garbled after Upgrade FC28 to FC29

Another update. I connected the TV to an FC30 machine with an HDMI cable and it works as a monitor.

Yet another update: I connected both the TV and the Gateway monitor to the FC29 machine. The display on the Gateway was garbled. The display on the TV was clear. I could tell that the Gateway was supposed to be displaying the left side of the desktop and the TV displayed the right side. I shut down the FC29 machine and removed the Gateway monitor. When I rebooted with only the TV as a monitor, its display was perfect. It showed the entire desktop.

I consider this problem resolved, but not solved. I'll call it solved if an explanation is found for this behavior.
    Last edited by tashirosgt; 17th August 2019 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Add info.
    "Never let the task you are trying to accomplish distract you from the study of computers."