Strange partition only give me 63gb of free space on 250gb
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange partition only give me 63gb of free space on 250gb

Hi there,

I am a new user of Fedora, I have installed the deepin desktop environment and is so awesome , nice to know you everybody

I am having a problem with the partitions on my laptop running in dual boot Windows10 and Fedora.

Previously I was using Deepin OS in dual boot with windows10, but due to China spying my information with that distro, I decided to install Fedora with the deepin graphic.

What I have done is basically to delete the Deepin Os partition installing Fedora on it. My HDD is 300gb, 50gb are used to run WIndows10 and the rest of the 250gb for Fedora. The problem is that Fedora automatically did an extended partition where only 63 gb of free space are able to use, and I don't understand why (I am not good with pc stuff) . Iff I go to gparted, it says that Fedora is using all the 250gb with an extended partition, but on the pc it only give me 63gb of free space.

So, what have I done of wrong? Can somebody explain me how to use all the 250gb of space?

Thanks you all

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Strange partition only give me 63gb of free space on 250gb

In a terminal window, could you type "df -h" as any user and as root (or with sudo) run "fdisk -l /dev/sda", you might need to changed sda to sdb or whatever but you'll see that from the df -h command.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I've got running "df-h" on the terminal
    Code:
    [tackskull@localhost-live ~]$ df -h
    Filesystem               Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    devtmpfs                 1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev
    tmpfs                    1.9G   32M  1.9G   2% /dev/shm
    tmpfs                    1.9G  1.5M  1.9G   1% /run
    tmpfs                    1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/mapper/fedora-root   69G  8.2G   57G  13% /
    tmpfs                    1.9G   16K  1.9G   1% /tmp
    /dev/mapper/fedora-home  170G  176M  161G   1% /home
    /dev/sda3                976M  158M  752M  18% /boot
    tmpfs                    381M   72K  381M   1% /run/user/1000
    /dev/sda2                 50G   42G  8.5G  83% /run/media/tackskull/30E4F0D4E4F09CF2

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, so you have 69G (with 57G free) in root (/) which is where most of the OS level stuff (libraries, applications etc) sits. You have a further 170G (of which 161G is free) under /home, which is where your user files would be stored. I think however you were looking at disk space you were possibly looking solely at the root partition? FYI, these filesystems are separated so that no matter what a user does to fill the /home partition, the OS still has space left to function under root (/).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically everything is ok? I have 57gb for programs on the root/ and my files are automatically stored on the /home, right? Am I understanding well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The default automatic installation of Fedora has some unpleasant characteristics, one of them is the way it partitions your harddrive (splits /home from / root). The situation is rather horrific, because it uses LVM volumes and that confuses people even more.

For example, you may end up using all your /home 161GB that you have available right now, while wasting 57GB free on the root partition. At that point, users end up having to learn all about LVM and how to resize this or that partition, when from the start they shouldn't need to do that.

My suggestion for desktop use, is to create a single primary / root partition (no LVM) that has everything (except /boot and /boot/efi). Todays systems have so much memory a swap partition is not needed.

A swap partition is something from the dinosaur ages, which died along with them (unless you have a system with 256MB of ram, but that is not very common these days on a desktop/laptop system).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fedup4ever
    My suggestion for desktop use, is to create a single primary / root partition (no LVM) that has everything (except /boot and /boot/efi). Todays systems have so much memory a swap partition is not needed.
    Having one large root partition and filling it can cause various effects such as not being able to start processes as they can't write to /var/run (or /run rather as its a symlink), system crashes etc. Personally I'd prefer a new user to have the mild inconvenience of a smaller /home but when it fills up still being able to launch their favourite gui based file manager to clear down some space rather than urgently trying to learn how to use rm on the command line. System crashes could also potentially corrupt files they were working on. I agree that 57GB seems excessive for root though.

Quote Originally Posted by fedup4ever
    A swap partition is something from the dinosaur ages, which died along with them (unless you have a system with 256MB of ram, but that is not very common these days on a desktop/laptop system).
    Unless you use hibernate to disk which requires swap at least the size of your ram. Personally I find laptops boot quick enough these days for me to just shut down, but hey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am being realistic, the most typical scenario is to hit the /home partition limit, rather than the whole disk limit. I believe the simplicity of one whole partition outweighs everything else.

I agree with you about the hibernate feature, I much prefer to shutdown or suspend to memory, than to waste 16GB of disk space (in my case with 16GB of ram).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you had discovered the network or everything versions, anaconda, the installation program would have accommodated you. You could have chosen for anaconda to us lvm or discreet partitioning. There is also a custom option where you could choose to reuse or create new sized partitions.

I wish that this second option is better publicised.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks you all guys, I did a new installation with just root/ and a /swap and now I have the entire memory for my fedora ( in the end I deleted windows 10 too).

See you around on the forum