Computer name changed during usage, can't change it back?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Computer name changed during usage, can't change it back?

So I recently installed Fedora 30 on my new laptop. I don't recall setting a system name or hostname or anything during installation (or perhaps I did?) but once everything was set up the hostname in the terminal prompt appeared as simply 'fedora' which I was happy enough with.

However, at some point over the last couple of weeks, the hostname somehow changed to 'Galaxy-Note9' (which is the model of my phone). I have probably plugged my phone in at some point (although I don't recall as my memory is terrible) and so I imagine this somehow managed to change the name of my laptop (though this does seem like an odd thing to happen).

I looked up how to change the name of my computer so I could fix it and everything I found pertained to changing the hostname. I used hostnamectl to return the hostname as shown in the prompt (and returned by the hostname command) to 'fedora'. At this point I considered the problem to be solved.

Today I have been SSHing into my raspberry pi, and I happened to notice that it said that the last login was from 'galaxy-note9.home'. Indeed when I check IP addresses on the network (with 'nmap -sP 192.168.1.*') the IP address of my laptop is labelled with 'Galaxy-Note9.home'.

How can I fully change the name of the system in all senses to remove this mislabelling? And also does anybody have any idea how this might have happened in the first place?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Computer name changed during usage, can't change it back?

Sometimes, your local router will assign names to DHCP addresses. It is possible that your DHCP remembers your MAC + IP address as associated with the old name galaxy-note9. In that case, the quickest way to solve this, is to reset the DHCP server on the router (maybe a simple reboot of the router will help). The next time you get a DHCP lease, you should have the new "fedora" hostname assigned.

I use a pfSense firewall/router and it has this feature in the DHCP server, but it also gives you the ability to "forget" old leases/entries.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go to gnome config, last option on bot, than aboult, there u change the hostname.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At a terminal you can type...
    sudo hostnamectl set-hostname mycomputername