firewalld and epson all-in-one scanner support
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

firewalld and epson all-in-one scanner support

I hope and assume this forum is the appropriate one for this question.
    I've been unable to find support for my epson PIXMA TR8520 all-in-one printer (Their site seems to offer support for some, but not all TR8500 models). In particular, although I've been able to print remotely (over my home WIFI) I haven't been able to scan. Simple-scan and xsane always indicate that no scanners are available.

Two things come to mind. I recall (from my experience years ago) that hp printers had separate drivers for the wireless functions and scanner function as well as the printer driver. Each was installed separately. Although I've located a working printer driver (using it! Thank you, CUPS!) and a scanner driver (scangearmp2-3.50-1.x86_64.rpm, which I've installed), I see no evidence of a network driver existing anywhere. Am I correct that it's not necessary for a Cannon PIXMA?

So I also wonder if my firewall settings are preventing discovery of the scanner. My runtime configuration is set to "home" (which I grok is the most trusted), and I made sure that "sane" is checked (as trusted, right?). Under "services" sane is listed as using port 6566 and protocol TCP, but I'm only assuming this is correct for Cannon printer/scanners.

Other than that, I'm using an up-to-date F30 KDE setup on a Dell Latitude laptop, and I intend to soon invade my wife's space and try scanning using a wired connection, just to see if it works. Any other tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: firewalld and epson all-in-one scanner support

To temporarily shut down the firewall, Enter as root:

# systemctl stop firewalld

Now see if your scanner works, if so it's the firewall. If it still doesn't work you have other problems.
    With the firewall still disabled, turn off SElinux
    # setenforce 0
    Now try your scanner, if it now works you have SElinux problems. If it doesn't work with both firewalld and SElinux disabled, it almost has to be driver problems.

Then be sure to turn the firewall and SElinux back on
    # systemctl start firewalld
    # setenforce 1
    # sestatus Will report status of SElinux S/B "SELinux status: enabled: and "current mode: enforcing"
    # systemctl status firewalld Will report status of firewalld

OF course the best reset of firewalld and SELinux is a reboot.

Pudge
    I try to think, but nothin' happens!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully this will help you a little. I have a different scanner and also run CentOS. Epson had a download for my all-in-one (a 370), it was iscan. It installed a separate scanning app which showed up under Graphics in the main Gnome menu and worked beautifully. As I recall, it did take some poking around their site to find it.

I looked here for your with no results - perhaps you have other info on which you can search the site.
    https://epson.com/supportsearch?sear...pport_keyword=
    Change - the only constant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pudge - great suggestions (and a great plan of attack)! I did it, and now it looks like driver problems.
    Lightman, Yes - I still have that iscan driver from when I used an Epson while back. The Cannons aren't as well supported, apparently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the ironic part of troubleshooting. Most times the fastest way to determine the problem, is to eliminate what isn't the problem.

Pudge
    I try to think, but nothin' happens!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an HP all-in-one printer/scanner which is connected via ethernet to my local network. While printing works fine, the scan part is horribly broken.

The first problem, is that it requires an "hp plugin" proprietary binary thing that is downloaded via an hp script. The second problem, is that it can't just use an IP address of the printer/scanner to work, instead it requires support for mDNS/Bonjour/Avahi protocols, which is completely idiotic and unnecessary. Finally, scanner support is badly implemented in Linux, it "sort of" works on top of CUPS if you hack your /etc/cups/printers.conf.

Eventually, I found out that it is better to just use a USB stick, or to setup a remote Samba share on the printer. No need for mDNS/Bonjour/Avahi garbage or for the proprietary binary thing from HP.

I know I haven't offered much help, but I wanted to vent my frustration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah - I'm with you there, fed. In the Linux world, scanning (especially remotely) is the one thing that's gotten worse over the years. I suspect it's not just the fault of the linux developers.