What Gnome shell is missing
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Gnome shell is missing

I've been a gnome user for many years. With each update of "moving target" gnome, extensions written for the previous version are broken. For the developer, and me, the end-user, this situation has meant that an extension that works with 3.30 will not work with 3.31 and so forth, that one looks at Gnome and decides that it's time to move to an alternative interface.

Welcome Deepin and Pantheon and KDE and others interfaces.

What gnome needs as a extension interface is not the gnome-shell interface, but some intervening interface software that does the translation from the extension to the current version of gnome. Without this interface, extension development and gnome is going to be left by the wayside as other more friendly interfaces appear.

My other rant is the radio button to search for the infrequently usrd program that I know is installed.
    I have nine radio buttons on my gnome[ all] section for listing programs.

To improve the user experience, either convert the radio button to a lossange that is a bracketed 3 characters which will hold the first three letters of the first application corresponding to that radio button. I'm tired of doing a binary search of the radio buttons to find my infrequently used but necessary graphical application.
    If the radio button is kept as is, put the (xxx) info adjacent to the radio button.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 12th August 2019 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Fxxxxg android grammar modifier
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: What Gnome shell is missing

You are correct about the relationship between gnome and its extensions.
    I installed some extensions in the early days of gnome v3 and they fairly quickly stopped working after an update.
    I have better things to do with my time than repeat the same problem over and over to try to keep stuff working, hence I have given up on extensions, and basically use gnome classic "out-of-the-box".

The underlying cause is, I believe, the same one that causes a lot of software projects to fail or suffer huge cost over-runs.
    Their problem is that they do not define a stable set of interfaces between the modules as an early design step.
    The result is that the interfaces keep changing and everyone is forever chasing the changes made by everyone else.

User error. Please replace user and try again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In addition to the above, there isn't enough documentation for the developers. I tried to create my own extension and gave up once I realized how bad the situation is.

Eventually I gave up on gnome3 and its horrible interface and moved to Cinnamon, its gnome3 underneath but its modern and usable. But, the problem with nonexistent documentation still persists in Cinnamon as well (its based on gnome after all).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Major extensions are up to date, but yes, most of them will not work sooner or later.
    I have no problem with Gnome3's UI, from the available DEs, I found it to be the most coherent and usable one. The rest is either based on old stuff or Gnome 3 or is KDE. Problem is the word - DE.

Gnome3 became a bit of a burden to me. I don't know if it's age progressing or something, but I just felt the need to get to the basics.
    I don't need task manager, menu of any kind or GUI for almost anything, like mouse and keyboard settings, not even monitor settings. And definitely no idiotic title bar buttons. None of those are necessary for me. Just like pure openbox back in the days. Well, so I did that and it feels like the fresh air after the rain.
    It boots fast, does everything blazing fast and works. One xml file for settings and autostart with a simple list of commands and the beloved gmrun to launch general stuff, that's it. Well, I have some direct shortcuts to launch frequently used software too as well, so it's super quick.
    All the needed tools for managing keyboard, mouse, display etc. are cli based, just the way they should be.
    Being back in the good days feels nice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A distribution that I like the most is pantheon. It was part of t initial Fedora 30. It is clean, fast, and easy to use.

Second to it is KDE. I boot SUSE Tumbleweed in KDE mode. I also boot a Chinese KDE neon distribution titled BEE free

This version is very well configured. Check it out on YouTube.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The kindest thing I can say is may Gnome-shell rest in peace. It is bloated and yes, doesn't play well even with itself over time.
    When professors and janitors begin working for free you can have your free education.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiGuys
    The kindest thing I can say is may Gnome-shell rest in peace. It is bloated and yes, doesn't play well even with itself over time.
    Re your quote about Professors and Janitors. You must be American.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Re your quote about Professors and Janitors. You must be American.
    You better believe it!
    When professors and janitors begin working for free you can have your free education.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiGuys
    You better believe it!
    It is nothing bad to be an American, it is a very good thing. It is best to be a nice person, no matter the citizenship.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    It is nothing bad to be an American, it is a very good thing. It is best to be a nice person, no matter the citizenship.
    You're 2 for 2 Leslie! :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Leslie.

Hard to go wrong with f29/MATE/E16/Glass theme. It just keeps right on working.