Alternatives to Audacity
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alternatives to Audacity

Back in the Windws days, I used an audio editing program called total recorder ... it allowed easy editing of MP3 files ... it does not seem to run in WINE ... so I have been trying Audacity, but find it very cumbersome...are there simpler mp3/audio file editors alternatives in Linux ?

Many thanks,
    * Bill Clark Windham, VT *

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Alternatives to Audacity

There is the command line program "sox" than can apply filters, split, combine, play and record if that is the sort of thing you are looking for.

Do "man sox" for the doco.

User error. Please replace user and try again

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kappclark
    I have been trying Audacity, but find it very cumbersome...are there simpler mp3/audio file editors alternatives in Linux ?
    Heh, usually people complain that Audacity is too simple and want something more powerful (with Ardour being the most common example). I think Audacity is pretty simple and easy to use, but perhaps you'd find Kdenlive simpler. Otherwise you could use command-line alternatives like FFmpeg, or sox (as ocratato mentioned).
    OS: Fedora 29 x86_64 | Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P | CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz | RAM: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 | Disk: 500GB SATA | Video: Intel HD Graphics 2000 128MB | Sound: Realtek ALC662 | Ethernet: Intel 82579LM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HA HA Rupert - -- I have used Audacity with success in the past, and it is a wonder at what it does ... My issue specifically is dealing with 2GB - 3GB audio files (a recorded stream off the Internet) -- seems Audacity will eventually load the file, but it takes 15 minutes (F29 - G3220 under the hood with 8GB) .. So I guess I am looking for a simple utility to split the large files into smaller ones (say 300MB each) -- I looked at SOX, and not sure it can do this .. other option is to run the recorder (VLC) for a shorter period ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK - So I have been spending some quality time with FFMPEG, and found this code which will generate a single file of the first 30 seconds of Audio -- would like this to go through a 10 hour file and pull out 10 3600 second files -- must be able to loop it somehow, bu not sure how:

This code worked, and gave me the first 30 secs. of Big.mp3:

ffmpeg -i Big.mp3 -acodec mp3 -t 00:00:30 -ss 00:00:00 split_audio_file.mp3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kappclark
    would like this to go through a 10 hour file and pull out 10 3600 second files -- must be able to loop it somehow, bu not sure how
    Try this:
    Code:
    for ((i=0; i < 10; i++)) {
       ffmpeg -loglevel quiet -i Big.mp3 -acodec mp3 -t 3600 -ss $((i*3600)) split_audio_file_$((i+1)).mp3
    }
    The 10 output files (split_audio_file_1.mp3, ... ,split_audio_file_10.mp3) will cover consecutive non-overlapping 3600 second pieces of the Big.mp3 input file.
    OS: Fedora 29 x86_64 | Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P | CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz | RAM: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 | Disk: 500GB SATA | Video: Intel HD Graphics 2000 128MB | Sound: Realtek ALC662 | Ethernet: Intel 82579LM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Kappclarck,

Audacity is an audio editor able to change the audio, and is not a good choice for your application, because it decodes and re-encodes the audio. This results in loss of quality and is the reason it takes so long to load and store a file. "mp3splt" is a program which splits mp3 files based on time or silence without loss. There is a gui for it, "mp3splt-gtk", which allows interactive split point setting, but I seems to be not maintained and I do not know how stable it is with such large files. At least it has problems with variable bit rate mp3. There is a Fedora 30 version on rpmfusion-free.

From the mp3splt man page:

Code:
    mp3splt  -t  10.00  album.mp3

This  is -t option. It will split album.mp3 in many files of 10 minutes
           each.

Kind regards,
    H.Janssen
    Alkmaar
    The Netherlands

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
    Try this:
    Code:
    for ((i=0; i < 10; i++)) {
       ffmpeg -loglevel quiet -i Big.mp3 -acodec mp3 -t 3600 -ss $((i*3600)) split_audio_file_$((i+1)).mp3
    }
    The 10 output files (split_audio_file_1.mp3, ... ,split_audio_file_10.mp3) will cover consecutive non-overlapping 3600 second pieces of the Big.mp3 input file.
    !! -- Once again, RupertPupkin has done it -- this elegant piece of code worked flawlessly -- I thank you sir. I now see 10 files carved from Mr BIG ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see you've got a superior solution, but for the record sox with the trim command can do the same thing, but the ffmpeg solution is what I would use here.
    Last edited by hiGuys; 13th August 2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: typo
    When professors and janitors begin working for free you can have your free education.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmsjam - downloaded the mp3splytprogram - pretty nice ... going to spend some quality time with it tonight ... lots of bells and whistles under the hood !

I see