can run but not install
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can run but not install

every time i try to actually install it it freezes. it runs live but will not let me install it. i don't understand. i tried to reformat the drive with gnome disks because i figured remnants of whatever was on there before might be interfering but that freezes too. is there a more assertive way to just clean the drive and get it installed? i feel really stupid. it's just an old computer i got given. at one point i had the fedora 30 games setup running on it but dnf dragora wasn't working right so i tried to reinstall it but then corrupted everything. maybe i should just try a different distribution but i'm not really that able to just make bootable usb's any time i need to. i want to just get my next job and save for a better computer that i'm actually happy with and that there's a windows partition on for games but for some reason i can't seem to move forward in life without some kind of computer around. there's somewhere i'm going to volunteer for twenty four hours for one but right now i'm still just hopelessly trying to get this one to work. computers really should be more accessible. everyone should have one. borrowed ones from libraries and day service clinics aren't very much help. you can't even make bootable usb's on borrowed computers and where the hell are they in the middle of the night?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: can run but not install

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyCat
    every time i try to actually install it it freezes.
    By "it", do you mean a liveCD version of Fedora? Which version? At what step in the installation does the freeze occur?

i tried to reformat the drive with gnome disks
    The installation interface on the liveCD has a step where you define partitions. So it doesn't need partitions that already exist and are formatted. As I recall, if it sees partitions that exist on a drive, it doesn't treat them as available space for installing Fedora.

is there a more assertive way to just clean the drive and get it installed?
    The command line program fdisk can delete partitions. Be careful, it can destroy your windows partition.
    "Never let the task you are trying to accomplish distract you from the study of computers."