Fresh install: Freezes immediately after login, can't do anything.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fresh install: Freezes immediately after login, can't do anything.

Hi everyone, I just got a new laptop with Windows 10 installed. I backed it up in a disk image, created a recovery drive, turned it off and installed Fedora 30 and wiped all of the other partitions. However, there seems to be a problem with my installation, once Anaconda finished installing, it said "complete", and then I clicked on "quit" in order to restart... as soon as I hit "quit" the system froze. I restarted the laptop, without the live USB since it had already installed, and I continued the configuration (username, password, google account, and all the questions the assistant ask you when you're setting up your new Fedora). After I finished it, it restarted abruptly... like the system had crashed somehow. I turned it off, and I saw GDM with my username displayed. Everything looked great, I proceeded to login, entered my password and hit return... and it froze again. And that's it.
    I've tried restarting several times but it always freezes after I type my password. I thought it might have been the graphic environment, or gnome. I restarted and on the GDM I pressed ctrl-alt-F2 to enter the console mode. I logged in with my newly created user, entered the password, and things started loading, however it stopped and it didn't continue the process, I attach an image of the screen (it's been there for 15 minutes already).

Link to a picture of the screen after I logged in using the command line.

Any ideas? My laptop is an MSI P65 RE Creator, 1TB, 32GB, nvidia 1060 max-q 6GB, motherboard as displayed on BIOS/UEFI MS-16Q3. I installed under UEFI mode and LVM system.

[UPDATE]
    I tried a different ISO download, verified its sha256sum, and burned it. But now the Live USB wouldn't work, I tried the same with an image of Fedora spin "Fedora 30 Design Suite" and the same occurred. I couldn't get into the live system nor Anaconda. But the live USB of Ubuntu 19.04 does work, it loads and presents the installation as normal, but it does seem to have some problems too since it froze a couple of times, but it hasn't frozen again. I really want to install Fedora though. This is what the screen showed when I tried to boot from a different, ISO-verified, live Fedora USB: https://ibb.co/6ZZQ1RL
    Last edited by Carles; 30th July 2019 at 02:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fresh install: Freezes immediately after login, can't do anything.

I would try something with an older kernel, just to rule out any incompatibility with newer kernels/modules.

Try installing CentOS: https://centos.org/download/

Its a mature and fairly safe Linux for almost all hardware, so that should give you a baseline to start from. If it works fine, then something is broken with newer kernels/distros, but if CentOS also has problems, then maybe the laptop has defective hardware? You could try memtest86+ for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows 10 was working well and so does Ubuntu. I installed Ubuntu 19.04, kernel 5.0.0, and haven't had any problems for the moment, so I think my hardware is just fine. I appreciate the suggestion about using CentOS, but I just think its packages are just a bit too outdated (kind of the reason why I stopped using Debian back in the day).

Anyway, I do not like/trust Canonical that much, nor what they do when they try to "unitify" Gnome. Is there a way to upgrade/downgrade kernel in Fedora 30 if I don't have any other kernel installed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe its possible to enable networking within the live installation, the installer should auto-download updated packages, thus your system will boot with the latest kernel. This should eliminate any problems that the original F30 kernel has with your system. Hopefully, the latest kernel will work without any problems.