wine frustration
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wine frustration

I feel about linux how I do about algebra. Has anyone else experienced trouble trying to install wine even when they look up exactly how to do it? Is there a really particularly good tutorial that assumes i'm stupid and explains it well enough for people who are not very good with linux yet? I want to be able to run some windows games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: wine frustration

I cannot help with wine, but I have been installing and configuring quite a few unfamiliar things lately.

The first thing to do when you find a web page that purports to be a tutorial for Linux it to check the date it was posted.
    If its more than a year or so old it is probably out of date, especially for Fedora.

User error. Please replace user and try again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, sometimes the trouble with tutorials is that the writer assumes the reader knows something they don't and doesn't explain well. Often the less experienced will write a better tutorial than the knowledgeable because they know the sort of questions you might have. That being said, I don't know any good tutorials for wine, though I see another use has a wine complaint as well with the somewhat non-helpful response, as these forums are these forums, that the OP simply shouldn't use MS programs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to...wine-on-fedora

Found this, at least it's specific to Fedora 30, is recent and seems pretty detailed.
    But note that they install a non-standard repo direct from winehq. I'd personally just install the official 'wine' and related packages from the Fedora repo, those are currently for Wine version 4.12.1 which is pretty up-to-date anyway.
    I think they used the direct winehq to get a bit more up-to-date.
    For the installing straight from the official Fedora repos, just do

Code:
    sudo dnf install wine

That will install the 'wine' package and the related "wine-*" packages and dependencies.

You'd then run "winecfg", this creates your default $HOME/.wine configuration directory and populates it. By default it makes a "~/.wine/drive_c" to use as your windows C: drive

"winefile" shows a Windows Explorer style file explorer, you can use that to launch your win apps once you have them set up.
    I've only used wine once recently to just run the Asus Bios file rename tool, I used "wineconsole" to run that tool since it's just a win32 command line only thing and it reformatted my BIOS update file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winecfg-panel.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	30498  
    Last edited by marko; 27th July 2019 at 09:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What game do you want to play? I use Lutris and Steam/Proton. I have played Magic the Gathering Arena (Windows version), CS:GO (Native), Borderlands 2 (Native and Windows version), Skyrim and SkyrimSE (Windows version), Darkest Dungeon (Native), etc... The only games that don't work are Windows games with antihack.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The simplest way with Fedora 30 really is the package from winehq. It's not fragmented with a ton of smaller wine packages and just works fine.
    Then yes, the Fedora package.
    And yes, building from source. It's actually rather simple, but it requires a lot of devel packages. You'll have to run configure a lot till you get them all. And no, you don't need them all, but you must know what can be omitted and what not. E.g. some isdn modem capability is not a problem for most people..
    You'll have to build it twice actually, because both 32 and 64bit parts must be present, otherwise it will be built for 32bit only by default and many later games are 64bit. And of course, you need both, 64 and 32bit devel rpms for that to work.
    I've been building wine on CentOS a lot, so for me it's sort of automatic stuff, but really, just get the winehq package and be done with it, it works.

As for the games working - many do, many with problems and many just don't. It also depends whether you use Nvidia blob or some Mesa based drivers and in what shape that partticular Intel and AMD driver is...Nvidia blob is still the winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a game I really want to run called vampyr. I wanted to just dual boot because I have a windows product key but for whatever reason my machine just won't run windows. It just gets blue screens of death. I'm gonna have nightmares about that little frowny face. The microsoft store told me it was a serious hardware problem and wanted fifty dollars just for a real diagnostic but if it's a hardware problem then why does my computer run perfectly fine on fedora 30? It hasn't crashed once on linux. Microsoft is a such a greedy corporation and I don't want to support them anymore but for some dumb reason they're the platform that all the good games are written for. I never had blue screens at all until I brought my machine into their store for a clean install of windows. More and more I feel like they try and extort people for money whether they've got it or not. Just that they charge money for an operating system at all or for its most robust word processor makes me sick. I chose fedora because it's a much cooler sounding name than any of the others had. I love fedoras. They're pretty great if you can pull them off and believe me I do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.protondb.com/app/427290
    You can play it through steam/proton. Enable steam play for all the titles on the steam settings and do a normal install from your game library.
    Easy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wine... I want to be able to run some windows games.
    I feel you pain. Although I am an experienced Linux person and not a gamer... Wine is just frustrating. Notepad++ loaded and works just fine.... So then, I tried to load Print Shop 23 (a program my wife really likes), so I don't have to keep around a Windows 7 Box just for this 'one' program. No go. Wouldn't install, couldn't get it to run.... Frustrating. OS is KUbuntu 19.04, but Fedora would be the same...
    Last edited by rclark; 3rd August 2019 at 09:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    Wine is just frustrating... So then, I tried to load Print Shop 23 ..No go.
    Many games run in wine without too much trouble, especially with Steam and proton, and Lutris. But when it comes to applications or educational softwares, it gets a little tiresome.

The problem is mostly because the applications are written with lots of obscure and even patent-encumbered (especially video playback) 3rd-party libraries that tend to have bugs that Windows gracefully allows (I heard they even patch Windows OS itself to make them behave with the bugs intact.) Games tend to limit to using small set of system libraries which wine does a good job mimicking, or written from scratch and mostly using standard C/C++ library, which is compatible enough with Linux libraries.

I've been tackling Windows games and applications when I desperately wanted to move 100% to Linux. In the end, I did move 100% once I found wine was able to play more than 70% of my games. I have also moved some of my games that had open source engine to run natively in Linux without wine. It does take some patience, but for me, it was worth the trouble.

I have PrintShop Deluxe 15 which has a bug in the way it handles GUI controls, and somehow wine will crash but Windows will not. I had to patch wine to work around the bug, and was able to make it work.

It really is messy in Windows applications, and you have to give credit to Microsoft for fooling the users into thinking everything simply works. I don't really expect Linux developers to match that kind of support, and I am happy with that, since everything is transparent in Linux. If the 3rd-party software were open-sourced, it would have been repaired right away rather than helping the bugs to stay alive for so long.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Windows really do allow some of those bugs to slip. I remember in the earlier days how Crisis didn't work in wine just because of that e.g., but there is more of course.
    The reason why Wine is today quite good for games especially is that people want mainly those to run and so developers try to fix those things with higher priority. And of course, the simpler the game in terms of used APIs, libs and general middleware, the better. Infamous GFWL stuff was pain too, but this can usually be done with using the fake xlive.dll etc etc.
    Also thanks to Valve (although their reasons for wine improvements are rather different of course) gaming in Wine is in a better shape than it was before. I don't use Proton, because I don't use Steam, but DXVK is often a the only way with which things really work. Especially if having the old DX9 renderer for particular game is no longer possible. Hehe, but sometimes there is a game that refuses to run just because of some problems with its old renderer (DX7,8 or 9 or even 3dfx's glide) that can be fixed by using dgVoodoo2 with its DX11 renderer and running it with DXVK. That's a minority of cases, but funny ones.

Anyway, as you pointed out, general software is a bit more of a problem. It may seem to work just fine, when one suddenly clicks this or that or open this or that menu item and booom. Fortunately, I don't need almost anything from this department, as all I need in this regard is Linux-native, which wasn't always the case before. There are specific efforts in Wine to have the most used productivity software running as well as possible, like Office stuff, but since I don't need any of this, I can't say how well it really runs or not.
    If there is some stuff I need and it doesn't work in wine normally, I can still get it to run in the W7 VM, but that doesn't happen often.

And yes, you're absolutely right, if all that software was OSS, no such problems would plague the general experience. But we will have to wait till the money concept goes out of 'business'.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know I'd actually 'buy' Print Shop for Linux if they ported it. It is one program that we've used and used for years, really ever since it came out. Open Office/Libre Office was an easy transition from Office and Word Perfect... Yes, I could install in my Windows 7 VM, but that adds all the Windows <-> Linux printer access, file access, networking headaches that I'd rather not deal with. Plus, I still wouldn't be Windows free and something more to maintain..... Its funny that there really isn't a reasonable equivalent on the Linux side as we find the application very useful and easy to use. We can't be the only family that finds Print Shop useful! To us, its been like the spreadsheet is to the business world.