long boot time due to start job for uuid
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

long boot time due to start job for uuid

My boot time is being held up for 1-1/2 minutes while the message, "A start job is running for /dev/disk/by-uuid/(UUID string of letters and numbers). The problem is that there is no entry in my fstab or crypttab or that I can spot when looking at the disks with the gdisks utility that corresponds with the UUID specified in the message. After it times out, the boot process finishes and the system is working correctly. I don't see this UUID in the /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Edit: I found the command lsblk --fs and the UUID that is hanging is not in the list generated by that command.

How do I get rid of this UUID so that the boot times don't hang. Is there some place I should be looking that I don't know about?
    StephenH

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: long boot time due to start job for uuid

This is an easy fix when you know the problem. The swap file for suspend/hibernate was reformatted and has a new UUID.

The way to start is to identify a swap drive and to pick off a UUID= value. The rest is done in terminal mode.

sudo blkid [enter] | grep swap
    The following is my list from my computer:
    Code:
    /dev/sda2: LABEL="sda2hibernate" UUID="0dad6e79-4575-4d05-9d6f-c25469ed1ac1" TYPE="swap" PARTLABEL="sda2hybernate" PARTUUID="f9f408a7-0a47-47a0-ace0-7a9ba61402dd"
    /dev/sda6: LABEL="sda6swap" UUID="e6bbcf90-d9d8-48b0-a3dc-3e674a59d57d" TYPE="swap" PARTLABEL="F30Swap" PARTUUID="cbb40315-5554-41c5-a350-de5ef4372a55"
    /dev/sdb2: LABEL="sdb2swap" UUID="95f05924-2bdf-43f8-a994-eab9e8e30b96" TYPE="swap" PARTLABEL="SDB2swap" PARTUUID="21f5d906-b8a7-4ed0-b624-09115cdf7b31"
    /dev/sdc8: LABEL="sdc8Swap" UUID="51379b90-bf2a-46d1-87a3-dea7abd1de31" TYPE="swap" PARTLABEL="SDC8swap" PARTUUID="ff4c6634-474a-47d1-bdec-f897d74336bd"
    /dev/sdd4: LABEL="sdd4swap" UUID="9f5d3fb9-07be-4694-9d5c-978620dc4315" TYPE="swap" PARTLABEL="sdd4swap" PARTUUID="5e10cbd6-52b7-44ee-bca3-5eae344017b9"
    /dev/sde7: LABEL="sde7swap" UUID="ffa0517f-e97e-4191-8f14-e5fb082b2c78" TYPE="swap" PARTLABEL="SDE7Swap" PARTUUID="81e692fd-4175-4f3c-b44c-453c93204e39"
    /dev/sdf5: LABEL="sdf5Swap" UUID="7115a980-8d49-4e84-9511-66965be05b26" TYPE="swap" PARTLABEL="sdf5Swap" PARTUUID="9836a2fd-0bc0-4c6b-b16d-dbf9dc32faf5
    I run many different Distributions.
    if you have only one swap file then you can use it but I suggest if you have disk space, to create a second swap file of equal size to the one you have. In my case sda2 above is my swapfile set aside for suspend/hibernate.

edit the /etc/default/grub file and search for the line containing resume= and replace the resume=UUID=xxxxx
    Here is mine
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=UUID=0dad6e79-4575-4d05-9d6f-c25469ed1ac1 rhgb quiet"

Once you save that change, you need to run one command
    sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

With the above... problem is solved.
    The second swap file that you set aside for hibernate/suspend should not be within the file /etc/fstab. You rarely need more than one swap file (64gigs ram??) within /etc/fstab.

If your system is short of diskspace for a second swap, then use the one from the /etc/fstab
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the reply. My swap file is encrypted so the results of the blkid | grep swap are:
    /dev/mapper/luks-7dcb2ed2-2e0c-491b-bcc6-c01efa9ffa74: UUID="877f6ca7-adbf-4bed-a068-b5cbf1d6a07c" TYPE="swap"

/etc/default/grub shows this:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=/dev/mapper/luks-7dcb2ed2-2e0c-491b-bcc6-c01efa9ffa74 rd.luks.uuid=luks-2429af2a-1ad8-4c66-b5b3-c662d5cbb949 rd.luks.uuid=luks-7dcb2ed2-2e0c-491b-bcc6-c01efa9ffa74 rhgb quiet"

I don't even see an entry for uuid=66a98c2d-1a89-44a6-aa94-d7200ed07bde, which is what is showing up as the start job that hangs for 1.5 minutes.

When it does finally boot up, I can open gparted and see the swap partition but it is listed as inactive. The partition is sdb2 and the LUKS uuid and uuid are the same as the results for the blkid command.

In gparted, I can see that the luks container is open but the swap partition is listed as not active.

Edit: I see in gparted that there is a menu option for "New UUID." Would I be able to enter the uuid that is hanging in the boot process there? Edit: Ι answered my own question. I will generate a new random uuid, not allow me to enter one.
    Last edited by StephenH; 22nd July 2019 at 06:32 PM.
    StephenH

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Run "sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /tmp/grub.cfg" and look for the resume therein. This is what I get from my grub.cfg...
    sudo grep resume /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

set default_kernelopts="root=UUID=1a692b22-171f-4d13-811a-0236f058503a ro resume=UUID=0dad6e79-4575-4d05-9d6f-c25469ed1ac1 rhgb quiet "

What does your say? Can you comment out that line and add one with your
    ...... ro resume=UUID=877f6ca7-adbf-4bed-a068-b5cbf1d6a07c rhgb quiet "
    and then do sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I am not suspending or hibernating this computer, do I need the part for resume in the grub.cfg? This desktop stays on 24/7 and the only time it get shut down or rebooted is for kernel updates or if there is a power outage that is longer than my UPS can support.
    StephenH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StephenH
    If I am not suspending or hibernating this computer, do I need the part for resume in the grub.cfg? This desktop stays on 24/7 and the only time it get shut down or rebooted is for kernel updates or if there is a power outage that is longer than my UPS can support.
    Answer = NO
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you.
    This is the /etc/default/grub file:

GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
    GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
    GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
    GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=/dev/mapper/luks-7dcb2ed2-2e0c-491b-bcc6-c01efa9ffa74 rd.luks.uuid=luks-2429af2a-1ad8-4c66-b5b3-c662d5cbb949 rd.luks.uuid=luks-7dcb2ed2-2e0c-491b-bcc6-c01efa9ffa74 rhgb quiet"
    GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
    GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=true

Do I just substitute rd. for the "'resume=/dev/mapper/' . . . " part of the line or do I just eliminate the 'resume=' part? I don't want to do something that will leave me with an unbootable system.
    StephenH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jf you comment out the line, the resume=value will continue to be within the /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg.

I would comment out the line containing the resume value, from within the /etc/default/grub
    Then run sudo grub2-mkconfig .... (as above. to create a new grub.cfg file.
    For Fedora 30, one line in the grub.cfg file can be edited.
    Mine looks like the following:

set default_kernelopts="root=UUID=7a629c01-6eb2-4241-89f9-d7909097a4bf ro resume=UUID=0dad6e79-4575-4d05-9d6f-c25469ed1ac1 rhgb quiet"

Duplicate the line, comment out the original and then eliminate the part resume= until rhgb quiet" If that solves your problem, you are home free.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was concerned that I would end up with an unbootable system. I finally got up the courage to try your suggestion to eliminate the "resume= section. It did not work. I am still getting the same message and the same wait time with the same non-existent uuid. Is there something else I should check?
    StephenH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still no resolution for this issue. Where are the settings that call for these UUIDs during boot? The ones I see during the long wait do not appear in either my crypttab or fstab. I have tried to regenerate that grub.cfg with no change. I have tried dracut -f, also with no change. Where do I look to find out hat is calling for these non-existing UUIDs?
    StephenH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StephenH
    Still no resolution for this issue. Where are the settings that call for these UUIDs during boot? The ones I see during the long wait do not appear in either my crypttab or fstab. I have tried to regenerate that grub.cfg with no change. I have tried dracut -f, also with no change. Where do I look to find out hat is calling for these non-existing UUIDs?
    Check /boot/grub2/grubenv

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither of the two UUIDs that I see in the 90 second wait appear here either.
    StephenH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the persistence of the this issue is leading me to believe that maybe this stray UUID resides in the MBR. If that is the case then doing a grub-install to your boot device might clear it up. I get these wait jobs usually after large updates and they can occur on shut down as well as startup but they never persist.
    jbkt23
    Thinkpads Depends on era T23 - X2xx
    AMD & Intel Boxes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jbkt23
    Well the persistence of the this issue is leading me to believe that maybe this stray UUID resides in the MBR. If that is the case then doing a grub-install to your boot device might clear it up. I get these wait jobs usually after large updates and they can occur on shut down as well as startup but they never persist.
    Thank you. That might be what is happening since I can't find that UUID anywhere else. How does one go about doing the grub-install? The man page for grub-install has a lot of options and I did not find it very helpful. The last thing I want to do is to break my system trying to fix this issue. Also, the man page seems to be for grub, not grub2 since the description has that the target directory is usually /boot/grub, not /boot/grub2. I realize that the man pages may not be up to date, but want to be sure.
    Last edited by StephenH; 7th September 2019 at 02:47 PM.
    StephenH

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading back through your posts I don't know what rd.luks are. In the bios boot world the command would be:

grub2-install /dev/sdx

where sdx represents the boot device (sda, sdb) or disk that is listed in the bios to boot from. This gets more complicated when the system is UEFI based. I'm sure someone has a setup similar to yours and can walk you through the steps in a follow up post here.
    jbkt23
    Thinkpads Depends on era T23 - X2xx
    AMD & Intel Boxes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast