[SOLVED] Deleting latest Kernal and assocated files
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deleting latest Kernal and assocated files

Fedora 30 64 bit workstation.
    I have been running Fedora 30 for some time an keeping it updated. The system has been working just fine . The latest kernal that was running was Kernel 5.1.17-300.fc30.x86_64. I then installed "draftsight" in accordance with the instructions given on the web page as I had a .dwg file I wanted to read and alter if possible. draft site opened butit would not read my file. Anyway I then had to reboot. On reboot the system crashed and went into rescue mode. From what I could see in the journal log it looked as if a dongle was being looked for. According to what I could find draftsight would crash the system if the dongle could not be found. It was my understand ing that the demo version did not require the dongle but it appears that this is nt the case. A see a number of people have had issues with draftsight crashing their system.

I then found I could boot boot the computer using the kerna;l 5.1.17-300 But I could boot the system using either of the older two kernels on the system.
    I deleted draftsight when booted into one of the older kernels but this did not clear the boot issue when using kernel 5.1.17-300.

Therefore how do I delete the latest kernel 5.1.17-300 and make one of the older kernels the default? Do I need to do anything with Grub? What about the kernel-core, kernel-devel, kernel headers, kernel-modules, kernal-modules-extra files? Any other files (firmware) I should delete? Are there other draftsight files I need to find and delete if so how?
    Then will the new kernel be updated again through dnf and will grub be updated automatically to use one of the older kernels?

I would be grateful if some one could talk me through this as I do not want to do a full reinstall of everything from scratch. it would take me hours and hours to do

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Deleting latest Kernal and assocated files

Firstly, it's been 3 days since you posted (weekends can be quiet here) so I would first try a dnf update and see if there's a new kernel since then. If not then...

I wouldn't delete the latest kernel, even if it doesn't work (which happens from time to time) you'll probably reinstall it the next time you do a dnf update. You can either just live with it and manually select the previous kernel when you boot until a new kernel comes out or you can change the default kernel using the grubby tool although then you need to change it back again once a newer kernel is released (they're quite frequent). For in on setting the default kernel using grubby tool, see the "Making Persistent Changes to a GRUB 2 Menu Using the grubby Tool" section of this link: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...2_Boot_Loader/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eg $ dnf remove kernel-5.1.17-300.fc30

Its not difficult and fine to do despite the other reply. You just have to minimize installing updates as you need to remove again each time you update. At the same time you want to keep up-to-date on security patches! So in the end it may not work well. From what I know there's really no other choice but this or its the only way I've ever found for Fedora. Fairly sure you won't get a better answer.

On top of that, if you do the previous reply with keeping kernels but changing the default, updates will also push the kernels down and if you get to 3 broken kernels then you're toast. Its a bad design they have here but its what we have and people complain about Windows problems lol.

It would be nice if they could allow a selectable favorite kernel that is kept for as long as you want it and can be default or not. That would cool but no can't have good things.

But you can of course try to block getting kernel updates. Personally, many things are fixed within a few so I've never bothered. The pain point is if you don't know when the problem started.
    Last edited by PowerSponge; 25th July 2019 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PowerSponge
    On top of that, if you do the previous reply with keeping kernels but changing the default, updates will also push the kernels down and if you get to 3 broken kernels then you're toast. Its a bad design they have here but its what we have and people complain about Windows problems lol.
    dnf update will not remove the running kernel so you'd be fine. Interestingly "dnf remove kernel" will remove all kernels including the running kernel where as yum would have protected it, to protect the running kernel from such a command you need to install dnf plugins. More info here: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1049310.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, it has or may have changed recently as this works for me now "$ dnf remove kernel-core-5.1.20-300.fc30.x86_64". This does remove only that kernel. Note, must reboot into another kernel first before removing. Then can reboot and will see that only that this one specific kernel was removed. In my case, I have the two kernels listed that still work for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually set up grub to boot version-1.
    Otherwise I have to set up an exclude list to advice dnf to skip over the kernel version that is being removed.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all. Sorry not get back before this but had to go away urgently. I can report that the issue is fixed. I did not delete anything up updated when I got back and the issue has been fixed. Found all replies ineresting and will keep it them in mind should I have a similar issue.

Thanks