Repeated crashing
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Repeated crashing

    I have a Fedora 30 installation running on x86_64. It crashes a lot, several times in an evening. The screen goes to white-out for a few seconds, then the logon screen comes up with all applications terminated. It used to say that Wayland crashed, but now it may be any of the applications. The crash is provoked by mouse action of clicking on a link or file function, usually, but it is any link or file function. Of course, the interruptions are devastating.

    I have tried to submit dumps though the GUI tool, but I am told the kernel is "tainted." The taint is "GW". This may have been caused by a Broadcom proprietary driver I installed 2 years ago. I am not using the Broadcom card anymore and have removed (I think) the the driver. I do not see it listed any more.

    I have tried reinstalling the kernel,
    $ dnf reinstall kernel

    It appears successful but it is still crashing and tainted. I suspect if I could solve the one, the other would be solved as well.

    I have researched the archives and the Linux archives, but the results are not helpful. These are my questions:

    1. How can I determine the taint in the kernel? (identity, module, whatever)
    2. How can I remove the taint?


    Grateful for any help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Age
    74
    Posts
    23,800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Repeated crashing

    Not sure if this will help, but I experienced the same thing every time I used Gimp or Kompozer and changing from Wayland to xorg seems to have completely solved my problem.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651


    Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Repeated crashing

    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Not sure if this will help, but I experienced the same thing every time I used Gimp or Kompozer and changing from Wayland to xorg seems to have completely solved my problem.
    Thanks. I have tried it and will see how it works on the next reboot. Update pending.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Repeated crashing

    Quote Originally Posted by mhdecoursey
    Thanks. I have tried it and will see how it works on the next reboot. Update pending.
    FIVE WHOLE DAYS WITHOUT A CRASH!!! My hero !!!

    Thanks muchly.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs down Re: Repeated crashing

    Quote Originally Posted by mhdecoursey
    FIVE WHOLE DAYS WITHOUT A CRASH!!! My hero !!!

    Thanks muchly.
    Two crashes last yesterday within an hour:
    xorg-x11-server quit unexpectedly
    The application encountered a problem and could not continue.
    /var/spool/abrt/ccpp-2019-07-22-13:14:21.295277-6990

    'Fraid not fixed yet. :-(

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Reboot
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Repeated crashing

    Crashes can be difficult.

    Are you sure its not hardware related? If you dual boot another OS or maybe try a live usb boot of some OS will it not have a problem for up to a week? I know this is a pain but it rules out/in hardware including BIOS/UEFI setting problems that you may or may not have made. You can even do this less painfully by just swapping in a different hard drive and swapping back if it still happens.

    If its with Fedora then you maybe should just do a clean install and minimum customization to see if that works as it is too painful to keep using the computer like that. If it still crashes after that then you know you can't escape it and must deal with it. Sometimes a clean install is simply the best option though. Other times you might need to write down or take a picture of them problem if you get some random time where the actual issue appears (and its not copy/paste type) and then file a bug report for Fedora and/or wait for someone to fix it (I've had to wait about 1 year or so for a fix before and you really don't want that here).
    Last edited by PowerSponge; 25th July 2019 at 02:31 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Repeated crashing

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerSponge
    Crashes can be difficult.

    Are you sure its not hardware related? If you dual boot another OS or maybe try a live usb boot of some OS will it not have a problem for up to a week? I know this is a pain but it rules out/in hardware including BIOS/UEFI setting problems that you may or may not have made. You can even do this less painfully by just swapping in a different hard drive and swapping back if it still happens.

    If its with Fedora then you maybe should just do a clean install and minimum customization to see if that works as it is too painful to keep using the computer like that. If it still crashes after that then you know you can't escape it and must deal with it. Sometimes a clean install is simply the best option though. Other times you might need to write down or take a picture of them problem if you get some random time where the actual issue appears (and its not copy/paste type) and then file a bug report for Fedora and/or wait for someone to fix it (I've had to wait about 1 year or so for a fix before and you really don't want that here).
    Core dumps are not accepted because of the GW kernel taint.

    I have a duel boot with Windows 10 partition. It does not crash like this. Mind you, I do not use the Windows much, and rarely tax it as I do with Fedora, so maybe you have a point there about hardware fault. I will undertake that as a week-long test.

    The hardware disc swap is a perfect second step. Grateful for that. I do a regular mirror of my user directory, so should lose nothing in the process.

    Salud!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Repeated crashing

    Quote Originally Posted by mhdecoursey
    Core dumps are not accepted because of the GW kernel taint.

    I have a duel boot with Windows 10 partition. It does not crash like this. Mind you, I do not use the Windows much, and rarely tax it as I do with Fedora, so maybe you have a point there about hardware fault. I will undertake that as a week-long test.

    The hardware disc swap is a perfect second step. Grateful for that. I do a regular mirror of my user directory, so should lose nothing in the process.

    Salud!
    OK, this weekend ran for hours on Windows 10 without crashing. Decided to go for broke. Just reinstalled Fedora 30 tonight. Did all the updates. Started Firefox, clicked + for a new tab, and the screen went black in a crash. Here is the Notice:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-07-29 22-25-51.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	30500

    The notice says the kernel is tainted GW, but I have not installed any proprietary software. And it means no one will look at the dump.

    Has anyone seen this before?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    bash shell
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Repeated crashing

    Its definitely "fishy" that you install a clean Fedora and ends up tainted without installing anything. Are you absolutely sure you didn't install any nvidia drivers or other binary driver/module?

    If you are sure you didn't install anything extra, then maybe you have a BIOS that installs something on its own. This is rather common on corporate laptops that come with a proprietary binary module that is forcefully installed. These binary modules are used to run code on Windows and Linux, for monitoring, geolocation and remote access (eg remote delete of stolen laptops). Maybe whatever binary module is injected into your kernel is incompatible with your kernel, thus it causes a hard crash.

    Computrace is one such example, used by several corporations and universities: http://techhelp.mcla.edu/index.php/Computrace_Software

    Worst case scenario and quite rare to be honest, is to have a rootkit virus installed in your UEFI BIOS that taints your kernel on boot. But that is quite far fetched and rare.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Repeated crashing

    I have confirmed the same crashes in the XWayland process using the live CD Fedora 30. It crashes on Firefox on various operations, sometimes printing to PDF but not always. Of course, there is no core dump from a live CD.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Repeated crashing

    Quote Originally Posted by mhdecoursey
    I have confirmed the same crashes in the XWayland process using the live CD Fedora 30. It crashes on Firefox on various operations, sometimes printing to PDF but not always. Of course, there is no core dump from a live CD.
    OK, the problem was the Fedora windows management setup, somehow, somewhere, down deep between the couch cushions. I have installed Mint and in FIVE days of continuous taxing use, no crashes. No OOPs, all gone. Almost 25 years I have used Fedora, and maybe I will again when I get another box of silicon. But for now, Fedora goes back on the shelf.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Reboot
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Repeated crashing

    At least something worked for you and you might as well stick with it until another difficult problem or Fedora live cd doesn't freeze anymore.

    Believe I've had tainted kernel errors that happen and go away with system updates though have never really cared all that much now that I think about it lol.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    7,662
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Repeated crashing

    "Taint" is meaningless as far as the crashing. That's just a licensing philosophy where the kernels dev have that statement dumped in the log when you use closed source kernel modules

Similar Threads

  1. Fedora 13 x64 LXDE crashing crashing crashing
    By joutlan in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31st May 2010, 07:44 AM
  2. Repeated crashing of Eclipse on Fedora 9
    By sujoykroy in forum Programming & Packaging
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th July 2008, 02:54 PM
  3. Repeated Reboot with FC5
    By tinkerghost in forum EOL (End Of Life) Versions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15th June 2006, 02:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •