Disable Global Menu
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disable Global Menu

How in the hell do you disable the global menu for apps in the panel? Used to turn off the "Application Menu" item under "Top Bar" in Tweak Tool but doesn't seem to work anymore on 30.

Thanks.

Mike
    Last edited by jonnjonzzn; 11th July 2019 at 11:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Disable Global Menu

Just to be clear, there are two different things similarly named: "Applications menu" and "Application menu" (note the plural 's'). One is under Top Bar, the other is under Extensions.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I know we both abhore this rampant bum banditry I see everywhere in your country."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lylecorman
    Just to be clear, there are two different things similarly named: "Applications menu" and "Application menu" (note the plural 's'). One is under Top Bar, the other is under Extensions.
    Correct. I'm referring to individual applications' menus (Menu Bar) showing up in the panel. Or parts of them. I never have liked it and when you use 30"+ monitors with windows distributed all across the desktop it is most inconvenient. That being said I've noticed there's not much in the "global" menus that appear in panel so not that big of a deal but also begs the question.... what's the point? Again, I'll remind the wonderful Gnome devs not everything is small form factor these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2018/10...ication-menus/

This seems to hint they're removed from 3.32 however I can't even get rid of them! Perhaps I'm just special...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe just maybe you should look at how you are getting the top bar on several monitors in the first place. To me it seems by default , the top bar appears only on primary... I'm not that well up to date with GNOME, but yeah, I use 3.32
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I know we both abhore this rampant bum banditry I see everywhere in your country."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Global extensions
    ============
    Within /usr, gnome and Fedora provide extensions that are globally available. I am not on Fedora 30 right now, but you would visit gnome-shell/extensions under /usr/share or /usr/share/local
    You could remove the extension xxx by renaming it to xxx.bak

You may have to reboot.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, the plan is to remove the menu completely in 3.34. Problem is, now it's in such a state, that for some reason, some apps just can't access their preferences window e.g., because it's not visible in the app menu and at the same time, it's not present in the application window menu anywhere either.
    Strange thing is, it happens on some installations and not on others. E.g. in clean F30 install in VM the problem is not there, but it may appear later.
    The most funny thing regarding this is that if it happens, then running the particular app (like Meld) in e.g. Openbox fixes the problem, as the menu is there in the application window just fine..
    Most apps are not affected by this, but some, like the mentioned Meld are and again, only on some setups. I don't know what causes it in the first place and why.