[SOLVED] 50 Gig is not enough for root
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50 Gig is not enough for root

A bit of info.
    I first installed Gnome and / was around 20 gigs, after I installed my apps. Then I added KDE and Deepin.That brought my total to 37 gigs.
    Over time, with dnf updates, and with /var/log and some logs in /var/lib/dnf, root got full.
    My goodness, 40 gigs consumed for a desktop computer!!
    I cleared out some log files, being careful. I recovered 2 gigs of space.
    Does someone have a script availabile that we could use to clear to empty, non critical logfiles?

In the interim, I also expanded root by 10gigs.

I am amazed at what the large and large number of logfiles which can be pruned to zero bytes.

My /boot, root and /home are separate partitions.
    Perhaps a rebuild with /var to another disk is a serious consideration.

My pruning logic is: if I can read the log file, zap it to zero.

Comments please.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 50 Gig is not enough for root

I run Stacer on both my own and the boss's PC. It clears out a lot of gunk but lets you review it first! I used to use Bleachbit but switched recently.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/05/...cleaner-ubuntu
    I used to miss my wife but then my aim improved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"My goodness, 40 gigs consumed for a desktop computer!!", well you did say around 17Gb was added by installing KDE and Deepin so three desktop environments not one.
    The 20Gb for Gnome only seems about right, I use 18Gb (15Gb after I noticed packagekit while looking at this and deleted what it cached) with a lot of additional packages installed which of course go into /.

Have you created any virtual machines ?, they by default live under /var/lib/libvirt/images and use a lot of space.

Packagekit uses a lot of disk space under /var/cache/PackageKit. If you use "dnf" to manage your packages which uses /var/cache/dnf directories than the PackageKit stuff is a waste of space, you can edit /etc/PackageKit/PackageKit.conf and uncoment the keepcache=false line to stop it storing any more rpm files (theoretically, not sure it actually works). You may need to then manually remove all the rpm files stored there (/var/cache/PackageKit/30/metadata/updates-30-x86_64/packages). Obviously if you have upgraded through a few releases you can delete anything older than the "30" release directory. The packagekit downloaded rpms are seperate from the dnf ones, specifically a "dnf clean all" won't touch them, using both you are doubling up.

Also if it is mainly log files that are using up a lot of your space there is a global default setting in /etc/logrotate.conf where you can change the number of weeks logfiles are retained, or if there is a specific set of logs causing an issue look at the files in /etc/logrotate.d where retention can be set at an application level.
    Although if you have a specific extremely large log file the first step would probably be to identify what application is filling it up and throttle messages at that application rather that treat deleting logs as a solution.

I believe it is also safe to clean up anything in /var/spool/abrt, although if you have a lot of files created there with recent timestamps it would pay to investigate what is creating those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My "root" directory reads out at about 12G. I do separate /home and /boot as OP describes. I also allocate a separate disk for my virtual machines and mount as "/var/lib/libvirt/images".
    Having said that I have freely loaded LibreOffice, GCC, and any other tools and utilities of interest. I think 50G is just the cost of all the extra "stuff" you are loading up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-07-11 23-22-53.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	30481
    Last edited by Kobuck; 12th July 2019 at 04:40 AM.
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB SataII/ Intel HD/ fc30.x86_64
    Tower: GigaByte (970A) / AMD FX 8320 3.5Ghz x8/ 16GB/ 9TB Sata III/ AMD 6770HD/ fc30.x86_64
    Bookshelf: Shuttle DS61 (H61)/ i3-3225 3.3Ghz x2/ 16GB/ 320GB Sata II/ Intel HD 4000/ fc29.x86_64
    Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc27.armv7hl

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing, "mkfs.ext4" when it makes a partition of ext4 reserves 5% for reserve blocks, years ago that made sense but with big disks now reserving 5% is a bit much. The reserve space is reserved for only root to use so root can have some space in emergencies if something fills up the disk. Before it was 5%, mkfs used to reserve 10%.

You can release the reserve blocks by running

sudo tune2fs -r 0 <partition name>

ex: sudo tune2fs -r 0 /dev/sda2

for partition 2 on the first device which would set the number of reserved blocks to 0, the block size is usually 4KB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about /tmp directory.? Did you checked /tmp size..whenever i met a insufficient space of harddisk, i have ever checked /tmp.

if you did'nt have a enough space, check /tmp to remove temporary files in /tmp..#rm -rf *(be careful of the contents of /tmp: in most cases, ok but...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if this heps, but I ran out on a VM, which was KDE Debian, so I ran KDE partition manager .. I was able to stitch unallocated space to the sda1 (and just in time ! )
    * Bill Clark Windham, VT *

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zethro67
    how about /tmp directory.? Did you checked /tmp size..whenever i met a insufficient space of harddisk, i have ever checked /tmp.

if you did'nt have a enough space, check /tmp to remove temporary files in /tmp..#rm -rf *(be careful of the contents of /tmp: in most cases, ok but...)
    Fedora 30 doens't default to using disk space for /tmp it uses tmpfs which is in RAM

df -hT /tmp
    Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    tmpfs tmpfs 7.8G 3.5M 7.8G 1% /tmp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My pure gnome system consumes around 12 gigs, with /var under / (/var is not a separate partition).
    I am not sure, but I was watching quite a few hours per day of courses with youtube. I wonder if youtube
    is leaving footprints somewhere in /var. If It is, then that may be the cause for a bloated root partition.
    Another concern is that I use xfs for root, following RH's use. It could be an issue with xfs needing a
    compress of some type. I did not try any xfs_repair or other until now. First I want to backup the xfs
    partition before trying xfs_repair.
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My "/" is also xfs with /var included in root. ( only "/var/lib/libvirt/images" is defined separately )
    If you haven't tried it, the Gnome "Disk Usage Analyzer" is an easy to use GUI app for navigating around your system to discover what is using disk space. Its the app producing the graphic in my earlier post.
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB SataII/ Intel HD/ fc30.x86_64
    Tower: GigaByte (970A) / AMD FX 8320 3.5Ghz x8/ 16GB/ 9TB Sata III/ AMD 6770HD/ fc30.x86_64
    Bookshelf: Shuttle DS61 (H61)/ i3-3225 3.3Ghz x2/ 16GB/ 320GB Sata II/ Intel HD 4000/ fc29.x86_64
    Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc27.armv7hl

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just visited the dnf stuff in /var and discovered reams of files from last month. I am not sure why dnf was not doing the housekeeping at that time.
    I wiped them and gained nearly 10gigs of free space. My system is now down to 19gigs (from a high of 40gigs)
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I posted the issue as solved, I did some additional exploring. The /var/tmp and /var/cache/dnf had *.solv* files dating back to the day I installed Fedora30. I wiped those clean and raised a RH bug report identifying the issues.
    I also have my root directory as an xfs file. The benefit of using xfs format for a partition is performance, the problem with using xfs is that the space consumption grows unless one can run xfs_repair to perform a "check/compress".

Currently, to run xfs_repair, you need to boot a different Linux system and run the repair against the alternative.

Before running xfs_repair, the / directory was at 40+gigs. After running xfs_repair, from a second system, the root is back down to 19 gigs.
    That is a big change.

Since I can't run xfs_repair unless it is executed from an unmounted partition any suggestions how to setup a run for same?
    Is it possible to setup a systemd command that would handle the launching of xfs_repair? Since I have more than one Fedora30 on my computer, I could launch the repair from the second system for the first one.
    Leslie in Montreal