Librem 5 phone
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Librem 5 phone

I like a lot of what I read about this phone but I think I found a deal breaker on their website https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

Matrix is an open ecosystem for interoperable encrypted communication, supporting a rapidly growing community of over 2 million users for VoIP and Slack-style messaging. Allowing you to easily communicate securely to any Internet connected device, including iOS, Android, Windows, OSX, or GNU+Linux machines. Having a native communication suite which allows for Calling, Text Messaging, Group Messaging, and Video Calling is the future of communication.
    . So does that mean that you can only call or text those "2 million users" that are actually on this matrix.org system?

Hence I suspect this means this matrix based phone system can't just call an ordinary Android/IPhone phone, the remote Android/Iphone would have to be setup to use VOIP?

If so then that's not going to cut it, is there something I'm not getting and a Librem phone would be able to all a plain old android phone/IPhone on a mainstream carrier like ATT, TMobile, etc via some kind of matrix to carrier proxy?

Evil_Bert is offline Retired Again - Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Librem 5 phone

Quote Originally Posted by marko
    So does that mean that you can only call or text those "2 million users" that are actually on this matrix.org system?
    No, it has a "cellular modem" for talk and text just like any other phone. I'm sure you'll be able to call anyone just like Android, iOS, bespoke feature phone or landline. The Matrix system operates as an internet-enabled application, i.e. it's an "app". It just happens to be able to natively use Matrix in its dialer and messaging apps.
    Marching to the beat of his own conundrum.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Bert
    No, it has a "cellular modem" for talk and text just like any other phone. I'm sure you'll be able to call anyone just like Android, iOS, bespoke feature phone or landline. The Matrix system operates as an internet-enabled application, i.e. it's an "app". It just happens to be able to natively use Matrix in its dialer and messaging apps.
    So then how would you make calls? Would you get a GSM account on one of those virtual network providers and use that for calls? I really doubt some provider like TMobile would support this Librem phone

Evil_Bert is offline Retired Again - Administrator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marko
    So then how would you make calls? Would you get a GSM account on one of those virtual network providers and use that for calls? I really doubt some provider like TMobile would support this Librem phone
    I don't know how it works in the USA, but elsewhere, with an "unlocked" phone, you get a SIM-only account with the carrier of your choice. It's pretty easy - that's what I have now.
    Marching to the beat of his own conundrum.