[SOLVED] fedora 30 radeon rx580 drivers
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question fedora 30 radeon rx580 drivers

I have searched all over and only found instructions for AMDGPU from http://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/rel...u-installation that don't tell you where to get the drivers and are a bit to complicated. I see Ubuntu and Centos in the download page, but not Fedora or Redhat. Can someone guide my to some noob friendley instructions?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: fedora 30 radeon rx580 drivers

Hello BugBug.

You do not have to go far about that to Other Distro's.
    Open dnfdragora Under search box - AMDGPU - and install the higher package version.

Just so you will know,AMD/Intel Under the same Vulcan package Group.
    So if you did not get the update for the "vendor" repositories =after you install that package,
    then Apply with (Y) to the questions in the terminal as ROOT User.

Code:
    sudo dnf install \*-firmware
    when you done reboot.
    and when you back to your Desktop,look in the software center - add-ons - Hardware Drivers.
    And see if you see your Drivers that you need to install OR issue solved.
    FFedora

fedoraforum.org-Wallpapers
    https://forums.fedoraforum.org/group.php?discussionid=304&do=discuss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried checking both the boxed and hitting the apply button, but after it loads it just uncheckes the box by itself. I rebooted anyway, and nothing. I did lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display' and see:
    VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] (rev e7)
    Subsystem: Tul Corporation / PowerColor Device 2378
    Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
    Kernel modules: amdgpu
    So maybe it worked?... but idk. I would also like some sort of management for the application card if possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I think the drivers are installed, but I don't know how to set things up like adjusting settings or doing split screen. I know about the native app, but nothing came with the drivers to manage anything within the card.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello BugBug.

The only package that I see on dnfdragora that can help,is that one.

There are few packages Under search of AMD - Catalyst,But I'm not sure to the right package to install.
    FFedora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 580 is not one of the Radeon Pro cards that the driver at that link supports. AMD markets a line of Pro cards for workstation, CAD, etc, use, just as Nvidia markets similar cards under the Quaddro label.

The best drivers for the 580 and other consumer cards from AMD are installed and used by default on a Fedora install, and on other distributions. The code is open sourced by AMD. To the best of my knowledge, the Pro drivers are based on the same code, potentially from an earlier release.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree The problem is that there are no Drivers Under Fedora.
    There are for Other Distro like redhat/centOS/Ubuntu/Debian but not Fedora.
    FFedora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'm not supposed to use the drivers in dnfdragora?

I used to have an Nvidia, but my Gigabite Geforce gtx1050 Windforce 2gb broke. I had a budget and the Radeon rx580 4gb was both higher performance and cheaper. https://www.game-debate.com/gpu/inde...rce%20OC%202GB

I do miss the Nvidia control panel though and don't see anything to manage this card.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The amdgpu drivers are open source drivers and are distributed by default with fedora. Your drivers are fine.

However, the open source drivers don't have a control panel, if you want to configure your display settings, you'll have to do it through X or Wayland. How you do that depends on what exactly you're trying to do. Some settings have GUIs some don't.

I wish someone would make an open source display panel that gave all the tools of the ones offered by Catalyst and Nvidia display drivers, but I have yet to see anything like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK cool
    So where do I get Catalyst drivers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately AMD doesn't support Fedora officially (may have something to do with it's rapid release cycle), so the Catalyst drivers aren't available for it. They do have an rpm package for RHEL/CentOS but if you install it on Fedora it will probably just brick your kernel.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that. At best it does nothing. At worst it bricks your kernel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw something about stripping out the kernel drivers from the package in a blog post, I'm guessing that they were trying avoid breaking the kernel... it didn't run according to the blog anyway. Well maybe I'll try out a different distro that is supported... at least until AMD releases drivers for Fedora... or I have to upgrade to another Nvidia card.

Thanks guys
    I'll mark as solved... for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a little fuzzy on this, but Fedora deals with current AMD cards via kernel modesetting. I.e., "moves this process from the X server's DDX drivers to the kernel". (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Featu...nelModesetting).

If memory serves, the "xorg-X11-drv-amdgpu" package in the repos moves things back to the X server.

AMD has no reason to release Fedora drivers for its Pro line of cards (which, again, the 580 isn't. Ditto, the 590, Vega 56, Vega 64, etc.) because it releases its driver code for all those cards as open source and it's incorporated in the kernel. Whatever distro you use, you get the best AMD driver it has by default.

As noted, however, what you don't get is anything to configure/tweak the card.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joncr
    I'm a little fuzzy on this, but Fedora deals with current AMD cards via kernel modesetting. I.e., "moves this process from the X server's DDX drivers to the kernel". (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Featu...nelModesetting).

If memory serves, the "xorg-X11-drv-amdgpu" package in the repos moves things back to the X server.

AMD has no reason to release Fedora drivers for its Pro line of cards (which, again, the 580 isn't. Ditto, the 590, Vega 56, Vega 64, etc.) because it releases its driver code for all those cards as open source and it's incorporated in the kernel. Whatever distro you use, you get the best AMD driver it has by default.

As noted, however, what you don't get is anything to configure/tweak the card.
    If they're using the default GNOME desktop it likely had the Wayland drivers installed by default. I believe the x11 driver are just the drivers that are packaged for Xorg instead. As far as I know both drivers are running as kernel mode modules that simple receive commands from the display sever, be it X or Wayland. That's usually how it works nowadays as it's more efficient than running a driver in userland, and also allow interfacing directly with the card through the driver if needed.

My point was just that AMDs proprietary driver package is the only one that ships with the Catalyst software for configuration. If someone wrote an open source package that wrapped all the xrandr/"whatever the Wayland equivalent to that is" commands needed to do all the things that Catalyst/Nvidia control panel into a simple, and easy to use driver agnostic GUI, that would make life so much easier. We wouldn't need to depend on proprietary control panel software anymore. We already have a universal interface thanks to the display servers, it's just waiting for someone to wrap it up in a bow and make it nice and pretty.