Thinking of Putting Together a Self Hosting Fedora Device For My Home, Advice?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Thinking of Putting Together a Self Hosting Fedora Device For My Home, Advice?

Hi yall!

So I was taking a look at Nextcloud and I love the idea of having my own server at home to backup all my important data. How would I go about putting together a nice cheap device with Fedora on it to do this? I don't anything about servers whatsoever however I'd love to learn and put together this little project of mine. What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Thinking of Putting Together a Self Hosting Fedora Device For My Home, Advice?

Hello tbyerly253.

First - You have in dnfdragora all the packages to install to suspport.
    Just use in the search box for - "Nextcloud"

TIP.
    you have all the list of packages that you need to have,BUT...
    Look on the packages and install (2) and not (1) to have all the new packages in Advance.

Good Luck.
    FFedora

fedoraforum.org-Wallpapers
    https://forums.fedoraforum.org/group.php?discussionid=304&do=discuss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Thinking of Putting Together a Self Hosting Fedora Device For My Home, Advice?

Look for an older server, preferably not HP, that has dual ethernet ports. That way you can use bonding for greater redundancy and throughput.

I'd look for something that has plenty of room for you to expand it later is you need to. You shouldn't need something too powerful, so just see what looks like a good deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tbyerly253
    Hi yall!

So I was taking a look at Nextcloud and I love the idea of having my own server at home to backup all my important data. How would I go about putting together a nice cheap device with Fedora on it to do this? I don't anything about servers whatsoever however I'd love to learn and put together this little project of mine.
    Here is a Tutorial/Howto for a simple Fedora LAN server. I wrote. It serves Windows computers with SAMBA, Linux computers with SSH and Fuse, and has minidlna for a DLNA server.

I use the hardware mentioned in the tutorial for my home server, but recently I bought an Atomic Pi just to play around with. Some company was making robots of some sort and they went out of business. This company bought all their hardware stock at liquidation prices and are now selling the motherboards dirt cheap. I bought the motherboard and the "small adapter board" which provides a 5 VDC plug for an external power package. Add this 5v-6a-power-supply and you have everything to set up a simple Home Lan server for about $60 USD. Except for a USB 3 mass storage device. I installed Fedora Server as per the tutorial and it works great.

Here is a pic of my AtomicPi The Lexar 32GB USB thumb drive is my DATA drive for this experiment, but you can use bigger external USB SSD drives.
    I try to think, but nothin' happens!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried using an ODROID-XU4 as a server, but was just to slow (for what I was used to). I was trying to make a 'lunch box size' server to save some room in my home office. The XU4 has USB3.0 and 1G networking, but it just didn't cut it when transferring large files. I had a USB 3.0 3TB drive attached with 1.5T of data on it. I think it would work fine if you don't have TBs of data (you do have to think about backing up the data too). So, I am still using a mid-tower case with 'normal' components (an AMD Ryzen based system). You should also think about an LTS version of Linux rather than Fedora for the OS in my opinion. Fedora is fine for desktops that you plan on wiping every so often.
    Last edited by rclark; 11th June 2019 at 11:59 PM.