Can't install vlc because of broken dependecies - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can't install vlc because of broken dependecies

As @PabloTwo has also said you are giving bad advice. The problem in this thread appears to be that fedora-multimedia and rpmfusion are not compatible which is stated clearly in the fedora-multimedia repo documentation.

Do you honestly think the Fedora developers ship it in a default mode that is intentionally broken? Having multiple kernels on the system is not an issue and you shouldn't be telling people just to blindly remove them for unrelated problems. You should also be very careful giving out advice with sudo commands using an "*" in them such as the one with the extra space you first gave in this thread. You are well-meaning but giving incorrect advice.
    Last edited by hogweed; 2nd June 2019 at 08:49 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello hogweed.

First I will say I know that it is not personal about you OR anyone that reply to my Guide.
    Now I will say that to you in personal.
    About Fedora on the last 13 years that I Use Fedora and all Other Big Distro's.
    And with all my Guides and systems that I have Build During that time from Desktop to Multimedia systems.
    you can be sure about 2 things.

1 - The process that I point User to = work out from the box.
    2 - about kernels remove = save to the end User allot of fixing , and go googling for fixing.

You can like it OR not,But there Other ways to set up system then your way...and much better.
    About Fedora release OR other Distro release -any new Distro development will have issues with the release.
    and there is explanation to that part that includes difference architecture,chips...etc.
    so it can work perfect on one architecture But will not work the same way with other vendor.
    so to be careful is first to have the Knowledge about how you Build system,how repositories works,
    How bug fix work around issues for Old kernels and why not to keep Old kernels that had issues.
    How package manager sync with each Other,How one package manager call for sync and Other package manager will bring the Update for the system...end allot more that is working in the background.
    So before you have what to say about my way,my Advice...etc. Do you have that kind of Knowledge?

Do you honestly think the Fedora developers ship it in a default mode that is intentionally broken?
    From that part of your Question I can say that,for real that Knowledge that I was talking about is out from the window on your end part.
    and if you have look on my Guides than you will Understand the the first steps will be to cover the system,
    with codecs,repositories,Drivers,and update/Upgrades , etc.
    Do you have any idea how Update servers works like?
    Right....let me explain to you that part.

When you open terminal and call to system Update = there are 3 steps in that part.
    1 - your system call to the update server to ask for Update.
    2 - the server Update accept your system request,and ask for the log files to be update (Drivers.software.etc.)
    and send back to your system that.
    3 - after the logs accepted on the Update server = you get the Updates to your system.

NOW - there are the Updates that the system gets on the base of repositories,there are the Updates of the
    software repositories,and there are the Updates from the TEST update repositories.
    That will answer the Question about how fast you can solve issue with what ever software/codecs...etc.
    AND YES,that will be the right way to work with the system,and not to be on the looking for solution.
    This is HOW to Avoid the part of issues and to work in Advance to not fail into that option of looking for fix.

And yes about commands....you don't like them = don't Use them !
    But please....This is my playground do not lecture me about How to Guide Users.
    If that works to others and you do not like my way...do not use my Guidelines.
    So before you cortices My way of solving issue for Others....look if it works for them firs.

Last thing for you.
    Fedora do not ship the release ISO (system) with activated the non-free repositories!
    part of my fixing to the end User is to active those repos to have more Option to cover solutions in Advance.
    As part of Using software install and dependencies cover with the system,and like I have explain here,
    it will get the packages ready to be install without errors and missing packages.

Just to end that part - I did not say I'm just the wallpaper man.....Hope you got my drift to you.
    FFedora

fedoraforum.org-Wallpapers
    https://forums.fedoraforum.org/group.php?discussionid=304&do=discuss

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have nothing personal against your advice and I frequently also advise people to use rpmfusion but that is their choice. It also doesn't matter how much "tech-speak" you give in an answer if the advice is wrong in a particular case. And you don't solve random issues by removing old kernels which are not in use. If you can demonstrate a repeatable case where that happens then you should file a bug on bugzilla.

As Fedora ships kernels at a rapid pace it unfortunately happens from time to time that a new kernel actually breaks something and what's broken might not be obvious at first boot. Removing older kernels immediately will remove the option to boot back into the working kernel if you later discover a problem.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hogweed.

Like I have answer you to the Other post of VLC.
    Go with your way it's fine,But stay out of my way please.
    FFedora

fedoraforum.org-Wallpapers
    https://forums.fedoraforum.org/group.php?discussionid=304&do=discuss

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disabling fedora-multimedia repo worked!
    Thanks a lot, @PabloTwo !

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Bobjan's problem has been solved and this thread also has devolved into a quarrel between members, it's CLOSED! And to Ffedora and Hogweed, please refrain from arguing. It's likely to get you suspended.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2