fedora 28 & resolvconf
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fedora 28 & resolvconf

using openvpn and ovpn configs from provider. using also /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf.sh to help with dns leaks.

i noticed the update-resolv-conf.sh script looks for "resolvconf" but i don't have that on this fedora install and don't see any rpm's for it on fedora either.

do i need it or is fedora making use of some type of a systemd resolvconf or... ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: fedora 28 & resolvconf

resolvconf is used to initiate / interface with the avahi daemon. In Fedora, see avahi-daemon.service under systemd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for reply.

i do have avahi systemd service, /usr/lib/systemd/system/avahi-daemon.service. but i can't locate the resolvconf program on this machine. maybe networkmanager has it buit-in or something? nor could i find it via "dnf install resolvconf".

that's what i was wondering, if there is a program resolvconf for fedora28.

searching for help on net turned up an open src program, openresolv-3.9.0.tar.xz from roy.marples.name/projects/openresolv . if there isn't one, i guess i can try the openresolv program.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may explain things a bit better ...

In Fedora, the avahi daemon registers local IP addresses and static services The resolution of names to ip addresses is done with systemd-resolved. No program named resolvconf is used in Fedora.

Some basic background information if you are interested in pursuing the Fedora method ...

From man 8 avahi-daemon
    The Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon implements Apple's Zeroconf architecture (also known as "Rendezvous" or "Bonjour"). The daemon registers local IP addresses and static services using
    mDNS/DNS-SD and provides two IPC APIs for local programs to make use of the mDNS record cache the avahi-daemon maintains. First there is the so called "simple protocol" which is
    used exclusively by avahi-dnsconfd (a daemon which configures unicast DNS servers using server info published via mDNS) and nss-mdns (a libc NSS plugin, providing name resolution
    via mDNS). Finally there is the D-Bus interface which provides a rich object oriented interface to D-Bus enabled applications.

Upon startup avahi-daemon interprets its configuration file /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf and reads XML fragments from /etc/avahi/services/*.service which may define static DNS-SD
    services. If you enable publish-resolv-conf-dns-servers in avahi-daemon.conf the file /etc/resolv.conf will be read, too.
    From https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Sof...temd/resolved/
    systemd 229 and newer include a fully featured DNS resolver implementation in the systemd-resolved service. This is a small daemon that provides DNS and LLMNR based host name resolution and caching. Since it acts as DNSSEC validating stub resolver it is suitable for retrieving DNS certificate and SSH fingerprint resource records.

See systemd-resolved(8).service for more information.

systemd-resolved may be used via two interfaces: directly via its D-Bus interface (which is documented here), or via glibc NSS getaddrinfo(), in which case it provides forward and reverse hostname resolution. The former is useful to retrieve arbitrary DNS resource records or DNSSEC authentication information. It generally provides a more fine-grained control over the lookups made thatn the latter. In addition it provides calls to introspect and configure the DNS resolver.

This page contains an API reference only. If you are looking for a longer explanation how to use this API, please consult Writing Network Configuration Managers and Writing Resolver Clients.
    Writing Network Configuration Managers
    Writing Resolver Clients