Fedora 30 - slow boot after change of graphics card
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedora 30 - slow boot after change of graphics card

Dear community,

after I replaced my "old" graphics card (nVidia GeForce GTX 570 Phantom) with a "new" one (nVidia GeForce RTX 2060), my Fedora 30 is about 45 seconds slower at boot up than it was before.
    When I undo my change of the graphics card and start with the old nVidia GTX 570, the system boots up as fast as before (~ 13 sec.).
    So I guess the reason for the longer boot time is caused by the new graphics card. But the question is, what exactly slows down the boot up process by approximately 45 seconds.
    A view to the log-file via systemd-analyze blame shows that a service called systemd-udev-settle.service seems to be the reason. This service takes up to 45 sec. now (see attached log-files). With the old graphics card the service needs only about 1.2 sec. A difference of nearly 44 sec.

Here are some outputs with the new nVidia RTX 2060 graphics card installed.
    (1) dmesg, (2) systemd-analyze critical-chain, (3) inxi -Fxxx

(1) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190514_dmesg-Protokoll_Kernel-Ringmeldungen_mit_nVidia_RTX2060.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	223.8 KB 
ID:	30333 (2) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190514_systemd-analyze_critical_chain_mit_nVidia_RTX2060.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	30334 (3) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190514_inxi_Hardwareinfo.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	30335

To compare the difference between old nVidia GTX 570 and new nVidia RTX 2060 at boot up, I attached some further logs (systemd-analyze plot and dmesg).
    Meanwhile I updated the kernel from 5.0.13-300 to 5.0.14-300 but that didn't solve the problem. I use the actual graphics driver from the nVidia-website.
    I even tested to mask the systemd-udev-settle.service and the system starts as fast as before. But I also read that it's not a good idea to mask that service when using lvm. And I don't know what for that service is in detail. So disabling/masking that service seems not to be a good option, isn't it?

I would be very grateful if someone has an idea how I can speed up boot time so the system will start as fast as before.

Many thanks in advance!
    Michael
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fedora 30 - slow boot after change of graphics card

It is generally suggested to use the nVidia driver packaged by rpmfusion, which can automagically keep the driver working with kernel changes, and NOT the ".run" package from nVidia's site. Try using the rpmfusion one and see what happens.
    Running Fedora 30 64-bit on a HP EliteDesk 800 G1, 3.6GHz i7-4790 CPU (4 cores, 8 threads), 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD + 2TB HDD, EVGA GTX1050 TI SC 4GB GDDR5 video card. Vizio E221-A1 22" 1080p HDTV, using 1080P (1920x1080) over HDMI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I have the same experience, I can say that masking the systemd-udev-settle.service fixes it. I also tried to look for more info regarding the problem, but I came with more or less zero.
    E.g. 1050ti doesn't have the problem, as likely most of older gen cards. But Touring seems to be the culprit. I got 1660ti recently and the problem is the same. And it has nothing to do with Nvidia driver, be it Nvidia's installer or rpmfusion package, as it happens just with clean boot with no drivers installed at all. It's just the device that is causing it. In my case, the service takes about 45 seconds, but in the end it successfully finishes, so it doesn't fail, but the boot time prolonged for so long is not to my taste.
    Yes, LVM enabled setups are probably not a good idea to have the service masked, but I don't have a need for it and everything seems to be in perfect order after having it masked.

Sorry, no solution though. ;(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks @Maryyy and @CronoCloud ...

I would agree what Maryyy said it is very likely that the problem has nothing to do with the nVidia driver because after uninstalling the driver the system won't speed up and the boot time will be the same. The udev-settle.service takes still 45 sec.
    Another attempt this morning to start Fedora 30 from a live usb-stick with no nVidia driver loaded and only with "standard" nouveau driver leads to the same result.
    I find it very curious that it has to do with the hardware/device itself and that it's highly likely the Touring chipset which causes the delay during boot up. Thanks for the information cause I've been thinking about exchanging the nVidia RTX 2060 against a GTX 1660... but it looks like that wouldn't be a good idea either. So first of all I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this problem.
    But as a matter of fact, it seems that I have to change to a system with no LVM, so that I can mask the udev-settle.service. Otherwise I have to wait every time I turn on the computer and drink a cup of coffee before I can start working ... hmmm.... let's hope someone will find a solution in the near future...