hosts.allow and hosts.deny moved to .rpmsave, why?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question hosts.allow and hosts.deny moved to .rpmsave, why?

I just noticed that hosts.allow and hosts.deny were missing on my system; both renamed out out of the way to .rpmsave files. Does anyone know why this happened?

I mean, I know that RPM did it on upgrade of some package, and I assume it was the tcp_wrappers package. But, does anyone know why a recent update of that package included the instructions to remove these files? Where they deprecated? The man page doesn't say anything about that. Why would this be necessary?

I noticed this after upgrading to Fedora30, as I was reviewing /etc files. I am assuming this did not compromise my system, in the meantime, but I forgot to check the file timestamps, so I'm not quite sure how long I had been running without those limits, and I cannot be 100 % sure it happened with the system-upgrade process. But, according the dnf.log files, the last time tcp_wraper RPM was updated was during the system upgrade.

Also, 'rpmconf -a' did *not* catch these changes. I know that it does find and alert on other .rpmsave files, but it did not alert me to these files that were deleted without my knowledge. I'm assuming that is because these files are not officially owned by any package??? I guess that makes sense, but is certain to cause these errors as it does not conform to expected behavior.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Re: hosts.allow and hosts.deny moved to .rpmsave, why?

Well, this is clearly part of it:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chang...e_TCP_wrappers

Geeze, I usually read the release notes and I don't remember reading that. The worst part is that is says "use another access control" method, but I'm not aware of a way to control the firewall so easily. Hmm, I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone know how to get dynamic block lists into fedora desktop firewall? Hell, how do you use fail2ban without tcpd? I mean, saying tcpd is 20 years old is all well and good, but am not aware of an equivalent replacement. Is there one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: hosts.allow and hosts.deny moved to .rpmsave, why?

There was an obscure reference to eBPF in the deprecation annoucement, but the link was to the original RFP for this feature and it didn't make clear how to use it, in production, as a replacement for tcpd. I found this, however, and I think it is getting there.

http://0pointer.net/blog/ip-accounti...h-systemd.html