Problem with Fedora-KDE-Live-x86_64-30-1.2.iso
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with Fedora-KDE-Live-x86_64-30-1.2.iso

The current available live image of the KDE Plasma Desktop for Fedora 30 has a serious flaw. The version in question is available for download on May 13, 2019 as Fedora-KDE-Live-x86_64-30-1.2.iso.

On two of my computers that I upgraded using the approved dnf procedure from Fedora 28 to 29 and finally to 30, I encountered periodic freezes of the screen, mouse, and keyboard after the upgrade to 30. Finally, during the past week after the last Kernel upgrade both computers refuse to boot.

I wanted to examine files on both of these machines, so I used the Live Image mentioned in the first paragraph. When the desktop was loaded I attempted to change the Application Launcher. I right clicked on the Fedora icon in the lower left corner and selected the alternative that uses cascading menus. After switching to that option, I attempted to use the launcher and as the menu formed, the mouse, keyboard, and display all locked up. This happened as many times as I booted into the Live Image on these machines as well as on a third that does not have Linux installed.

Of course, I tried to use the desktop without changing the Application Launcher. Yes, I was able to use it to open file managers, the partition manager etc. and examine various files. During one test, the machine locked up after I accidentally clicked on the bar at the bottom of the screen.

I also tested the Live Image for Fedora 29 that is currently available and did not experience any problem. On both machines behavior was normal and selecting the Application Launcher with cascading menus did not cause any problem. Also, the standard Live Image for the Workstation for Fedora 30 functioned without any problem in a brief test. I do not recommend using the Live Image mentioned in the first paragraph for anything other than test purposes. Do not use it to install to a hard drive and do not use it to work with files already on the machine.

I'm quite sure that this will be my one and only post to this Forum. I am starting to evaluate alternatives to Fedora and to KDE Plasma.

Hope this is helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Problem with Fedora-KDE-Live-x86_64-30-1.2.iso

Hello HastySteve

You asked for help without waiting for feedback.

Have you tried kde with xorg? When you log in the gear icon will allow you to select other than Wayland. I will test install the version you took, and I will post a reply here about my success.
    My system is a recent desktop with AMD Ryzen 2700x. 16gigs of ram.
    I usually do a direct install with "Fedora-Everything-netinst-x86_64-30-1.2.iso". It pulls in all the most recent updates.
    If you decide definitely to switch distributions, then I would consider SUSE Tumbleweed or Manjaro 18.4 KDE Both mentioned are rolling releases. I run Tumbleweed and use the grub therein to boot pantheon on Fedora 30, Fedora Gnome and other Fedora interfaces. I have had zero problems.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello HastySteve

I am now responding from Fedora 30, KDE, and I have no problems whatsoever. I used the Fedora-Everything-netinst-x86_64-30-1.2.iso and chose KDE, and all kde packages.
    I am using the cascading menu option, though my favorite is Application Dashboard,
    In both cases, no crashes, no lockups, just regular KDE (Using defaults that Fedora provided).
    I am now proceding to rpmfusion to add that to my setup, but first

[leslie@F30KDE ~]$ uname -r
    5.0.14-300.fc30.x86_64
    [leslie@F30KDE ~]$
    Leslie in Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Isatenstein,

Thanks for the replies. My main concern in starting this thread is to notify people that the Live Image Fedora-KDE-Live-x86_64-30-1.2.iso contains code that causes several tested machines to lock up and could result in the loss of files etc.

I have been running Fedora and KDE on two machines, one an elderly Intel Core Duo with MBR bios and a new machine with AMD Threadripper and UEFI bios. I updated the Threadripper within a few days after Fedora 30 was released and everything went well and a few days later I updated the Core Duo. The Core Duo would freeze up at seemingly random intervals which was annoying but not critical. I expected things to work out after updates were applied and bugs eliminated. Instead, after an update about a week ago a new kernel was applied and after that both machines refused to boot. The Threadripper had not displayed any problems prior to that and currently when I try to boot into Fedora it immediately displays GRUB>. The Core Duo freezes at some point later in the process and looks like a more normal failure.

I booted into the Live Image in order to examine files, move a few items to NAS etc. That was when I discovered that I could reproduce the freeze up symptoms consistently by selecting the alternative application launcher. Live Images of Fedora 29 KDE and Fedora 30 Workstation (GNOME) both seem to be OK.

I cleared out a drive on a third machine that does not contain any Linux and tried to use the net install. I thought it would be one way of avoiding the bad code and only install updated files. On two trials over the weekend it failed part way through downloadiing files with a message that some file was not available and it was a "fatal error".

I value your opinion of Tumbleweed and Manjaro and will check them out.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may want to also verify that KDE is not using Wayland. I have issues if it is with xorg
    And I also use Tumbleweed. Its a fine distribution, very common in Europe, not on our continent.
    Leslie in Montreal