NFS - can't see shares
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NFS - can't see shares

Had to rebuild my system as hard drive died

I use NFS to mount my shares and now I can't see them remotely.

Exportfs shows them as mounted e.g.

/mnt/0195a597-b47e-46c5-88cc-9b22e357f11e/aaa
    192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

I can access them remotely (Kodi) by editing the sources.xml file but usually I can browse from Kodi and see my fedora machine and browse to the share I want to mount.

Why doesn't the machine show up? I don't even know what to post here to check my settings.

Note I haven't edited anything in nfs.conf or nfsmount.conf

Thanks for any pointers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: NFS - can't see shares

I faced the same problem and was able to reproduce it.
    I installed Fedora 28 into a VM and exported something as a test. Kodi is able to find and include the shares into its system.
    After upgrading to Fedora 29 it starts to behave like described.

So there must be something different between the way Kodi's libnfs and Fedora's NFS server work together here.
    I compared both settings but was not able to see a difference after the upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally, nfs protocol does not broadcast its shares, you have to tell the client where the server is, and only then will the server tell the client.

It may be some other protocol that kodi is using to get the server address, not the nfs, so troubleshooting nfs may not help. Could it be zeroconf/DLNA/bonjour/uPNP or whatever it's called that is no longer set in Fedora server anymore?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did you try to mount manually?
    1) Setup a mount point on you client machine, say create a directory such as /mnt/extshare
    2) Then from console as root user, mount the share using your IP address such as: mount 199.65.4.3:/data /mnt/extshare
    Substitute 199.65.4.3 for your the nfs server IP. Substitute /data for the share on the nfs server.

That should tell you something.

Then if it mounts ok, but you still can't see any data, did your user id change? I know I had that aggravation when x system created my id as 1001 but on host system is was 1000. My data is restricted to just a few users (not public).

If you can see all the data this way then the problem isn't with nfs, but may be with dns or whatever you use to identity machines by name.
    Last edited by rclark; 6th September 2019 at 11:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by osce0
    Generally, nfs protocol does not broadcast its shares, you have to tell the client where the server is, and only then will the server tell the client.

It may be some other protocol that kodi is using to get the server address, not the nfs, so troubleshooting nfs may not help. Could it be zeroconf/DLNA/bonjour/uPNP or whatever it's called that is no longer set in Fedora server anymore?
    Thank you for the hints.
    I was never aware of any kind of broadcasting the NFS service, so that was a surprise to me as well.
    Zeroconf is a different story and after explicitly configuring my NFS service in avahi, Kodi is able to find this share both in F28 and F29/30. But that's different menu action it Kodi, so I don't see that avahi is involved when looking for NFS shares. I can record the behavior if this is of any help, but here is a picture that shows there are different actions for both.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bildschirmfoto von 2019-09-07 17-35-13.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	30543

Of course I can live with Zeroconf, but I'm really interested in what has changed since the versions.
    I will try to get some answers from the Kodi people as well.

Edit: I verified with the F28 installation and I stopped the avahi service just to make sure it is not involved here. Kodi still finds the NFS shares on the F28 installation even if avahi is disabled and stopped.
    Further investigation led me to this interesting thread:
    https://github.com/sahlberg/libnfs/issues/232

So there is obviously something like an RDP broadcast. I checked with "rpcinfo -b 100005 2" on my network and indeed, only F28 based shares show up, but not from the machine which is already on F29/F30.
    How can I further check the RPC broadcast issue in F29/30?
    Last edited by mulder77; 7th September 2019 at 10:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@rclark , thanks for the hints. But it's not about accessing the data once the source has been defined, but finding available sources in the first place.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem. I never use it that way. I've always had to 'point' my clients to the nfs server share(s) to use via the mount command. Wasn't aware of alternate ways other than using samba (when I I have Windows Clients). Linux to Linux I've always just used nfs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more news. I was able to fix it temporarily on my system, following this information here: https://github.com/sahlberg/libnfs/issues/270

I downloaded the source RPM of rpcbind and modified the spec file to --enable-rmtcalls again. I bumped the version to 1.2.5-4 and upgraded my locally created package via dnf. Now NFS browsing works again.
    Is there a way to understand if rmtcalls have been disabled on purpose? The only thing I can see is that --enable-rmtcalls in 1.2.5 is not mentioned as enabled by default anymore (check with ./configure and check --enable-rmtcalls Enables Remote Calls [default=no]).
    In F28, rpcbind was still on version 0.2.4 and jumped directly to 1.2.5 as it seems. Maybe rpcbind can be configured safely to enable this option again with the next package. Whom to contact?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mulder77
    The only thing I can see is that --enable-rmtcalls in 1.2.5 is not mentioned as enabled by default anymore (check with ./configure and check --enable-rmtcalls Enables Remote Calls [default=no]).
    In F28, rpcbind was still on version 0.2.4 and jumped directly to 1.2.5 as it seems. Maybe rpcbind can be configured safely to enable this option again with the next package. Whom to contact?
    I didn't know rpcbind can broadcast nfs services.

There seems to be a related bug report for exactly this issue: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1630672
    Maybe post some suggestions there?

NB: Reading the bug report I can understand why they removed it: security reason for enterprise.
    Last edited by osce0; 11th September 2019 at 05:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I've seen this already. Maybe the mentioned run-time option fits both needs, security and compatibility.