3 things "broke" when upgrading from 29 to 30; dash-to-dock, terminal menus, app menu
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 things "broke" when upgrading from 29 to 30; dash-to-dock, terminal menus, app menu

There are three things which "broke" on my desktop after I upgraded from Fedora 29 to Fedora 30 yesterday.
    Some might be due to my ignorance.
    I do not know where in bugzilla to report the issues, e.g. fedora or gnome

1. Dash-to-dock extension: before the upgrade it worked perfectly, and displayed my favourite apps. After the upgrade, it only shows the nine-dot icon for "Show Applications". That does not work initially upon login, but does later. (I have not determined what causes it to start working.) The other apps' icons are not displayed, despite its settings in Tweaks indicating it should "Show favourite applications".

2. Terminal menu bar: It was displayed before upgrade, as a default. Now, I can set Terminal to display the menu bar each time I log in, but I can no longer set it as a default preference each time it starts.

3. Application Menus: I recall adjusting the menus in 28 and 29, but can not figure out how to do so in 30. My only guess is that the GUI method ceased functioning.
    Edit: I found an imperfect solution to editing the Application Menus later: install and use "alacarte".
    I also tried menulibre, but could not see any similarity between what menulibre displayed and the existing Apps Menus.

Any comments either educating me how to fix these or telling me precisely where I should report a bug would be helpful.
    Last edited by andrewf; 11th May 2019 at 11:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 3 things "broke" when upgrading from 29 to 30; dash-to-dock, terminal menus, app

Dash-to-dock and Applications Menu work for me under 30. You could try removing and reinstalling if no upgrades available and nothing else works. With some extensions I've had to click them off and on and/or upgrade them after F29=>F30.
    Last edited by hogweed; 14th May 2019 at 12:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 3 things "broke" when upgrading from 29 to 30; dash-to-dock, terminal menus, app

3. Application Menus: I recall adjusting the menus in 28 and 29, but can not figure out how to do so in 30. My only guess is that the GUI method ceased functioning.
    I run Gnome 3 desktop on my F30 workstation and I use the "Application Menu", Background Logo", and "Places Status Indicator" extensions as a standard setup. I am currently trying out "CPUfreq".

I setup as follows:
    1) Pick the "Gnome Software" app from Gnome App menu.
    2) Select the "Add-ons" Category on the opening screen
    3) Set the "Extensions Settings" switch to ON
    4) set your desired extension switches to ON ( I use Application Menu, Background Logo, and Places Status Indicator )

There are many other extensions listed, but pay close attention to the comments, many are no longer updated.

I usually use command line DNF for my installs and upgrade activity, as Gnome Software App has not been the most reliable for me. In the case of implementing Gnome Extensions, it seems to do a good job of getting everything in place and configured properly.
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB SataII/ Intel HD/ fc30.x86_64
    Tower: GigaByte (970A) / AMD FX 8320 3.5Ghz x8/ 16GB/ 9TB Sata III/ AMD 6770HD/ fc30.x86_64
    Bookshelf: Shuttle DS61 (H61)/ i3-3225 3.3Ghz x2/ 16GB/ 320GB Sata II/ Intel HD 4000/ fc29.x86_64
    Embedded: BeagleBone Blk / ARM AM3358 1 GHz x1/ 512MB/ 2GB eMMC/ PowerVR SGX530/ fc27.armv7hl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.
    For some reason, when I removed Dash-to-Dock, it started to working . . . without re-installing it.

Go figure!