Network speed - need tool to measure
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Network speed - need tool to measure

Hello - I am running all gig home network..transferring a 10GB folder from my F29 box across 3 switches to a Samba Server comes in at about 25MB/s --- I am looking to improve this speed, and would like to get recommendations on good LAN speed troubleshooting tool....

right now I am relying on Dolphin to make the calculations during file copy ...I also realize there are a lot of variables, including the older 5400 spinning HD etc ..
    * Bill Clark Windham, VT *

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Network speed - need tool to measure

iperf3 is the likely the best tool for this: https://iperf.fr/iperf-doc.php

you should be able to install with dnf, but optionally you can build the binary and run it that way.

if i had to guess, I would say samba is the one slowing things down, from my experience it just isn't very fast. Also keep in mind that gigabit is gigaBIT and not gigaBYTE. so an HDD that can read/write at 125 MB/sec can keep up with a 1Gb LAN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THX - I will get iperf3 going --- do you think NFS would be faster than samba ? ZFS (FREENAS) ?

In the meantime, I have replaced the Dell switch with a spare Netgear. switched NIC, and now getting between 45 - 65 MB/s file transfer speed which I guess is about half the theoretical maximum ..- which makes me a much happier camper ... moving ISOs around the network now is a reasonable activity..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this is an all Linux environment, nfs would be more suitable; if there are windows machines in the mix, nfs is not a good solution. I've never played with free nas.

One way to test if samba is the bottleneck is to simply transfer something over ssh from the desired node to the samba server. SCP or rsync will work fine for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rexrf
    If this is an all Linux environment, nfs would be more suitable; if there are windows machines in the mix, nfs is not a good solution. I've never played with free nas.

One way to test if samba is the bottleneck is to simply transfer something over ssh from the desired node to the samba server. SCP or rsync will work fine for this.
    BRILLIANT! Here is what I got: (my f29 box is "picard" - the server is 'samba"
    ---------------------------------------

[billyboy@picard Downloads]$ sudo scp *.ova root@samba:/srv/storage

root@samba's password:
    photon-hw11-3.0-26156e2.ova 100% 155MB 101.1MB/s 00:01
    Tiny Linux VM.ova 100% 12MB 95.3MB/s 00:00
    yVM.ova 100% 14MB 92.4MB/s 00:00

WOW -> 21st century results here ... Thank you so much -- and you were spot on about SAMBA ..
    ** Also note that the samba "box" is actually a debian-based samba container inside a proxmox host ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a hybrid of samba and nfs. I've found samba to be more convenient for systems that aren't static on the network as well as Windows.

It should be noted that samba is almost always a compromise, and should be avoided when possible. Newer versions of Windows can use nfs, but I don't know how well it preforms.

If you have a system with multiple network adapters, or have a spare lying around, you could do what I do and use a bonded connection to improve performance when multiple systems are hitting the share at once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cpt Gray Wolf - Thx for the advice ... I have been using samba for years to serve music to windows clients and also to a few Squeezebox devices.

FWIW - I also have a raspberry pi running samba to archive photos on an external HD..the raspberry pi is stuck in the 10/100 network speed, which is no surprise .. (SCP copying 5GB folder gets 9-11 MB/s)...

The Vortexbox/Squeezebox music server is running on Fedora Server, and the incremental backups are done via local usb device (about 700GB) ... I recently deployed a LXC fileserver container on my Proxmox host, and thought it might do well as a NAS for backups...Once I started looking under the hood, trying to do large backups across the network, I discovered this speed/transfer issue. Thx to the nice advice on this forum, I live to fight another day, enjoying transfer speeds between 90 and 105 MB/S using SCP and RSYNC ...and I avoid the urge to go out and get a shiny new Synology unit.. today's project will be creating cronjobs for the network backup..

Thx again,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kappclark
    Cpt Gray Wolf - Thx for the advice ... I have been using samba for years to serve music to windows clients and also to a few Squeezebox devices.

FWIW - I also have a raspberry pi running samba to archive photos on an external HD..the raspberry pi is stuck in the 10/100 network speed, which is no surprise .. (SCP copying 5GB folder gets 9-11 MB/s)...

The Vortexbox/Squeezebox music server is running on Fedora Server, and the incremental backups are done via local usb device (about 700GB) ... I recently deployed a LXC fileserver container on my Proxmox host, and thought it might do well as a NAS for backups...Once I started looking under the hood, trying to do large backups across the network, I discovered this speed/transfer issue. Thx to the nice advice on this forum, I live to fight another day, enjoying transfer speeds between 90 and 105 MB/S using SCP and RSYNC ...and I avoid the urge to go out and get a shiny new Synology unit.. today's project will be creating cronjobs for the network backup..

Thx again,
    The Linux Journal did an article about the bareos backup system in their most recent issue. I'd recommend looking into that, or something similar, if you want to do backups.

Scp and rsync are good, but complete backup solutions tend to have more features like automated integrity checks, error reporting, and data compression to save headaches and wasted space. The last thing you would want is to go to restore from backup only to find something has gone horribly wrong.

In spite of all the times I've had things do wrong I haven't learned my lesson yet, so I haven't bothered to set up any sort of backup solution. XD Although That may be something I look into soon. Definitely a "Do as I say, not as I do." sort of thing.