Install from running system
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Install from running system

Is it possible to install from a running system?

I have a F29 system, but instead of upgrading - i would like a fresh install on a "spare" partition.
    Can i run the installer from the currently running system - configure the "spare" partition and boot to it?

So:
    install to partition, reboot to F30

Rather than:
    write to USB, boot to USB, install to disk, reboot to F30

thanks
    c

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Install from running system

The ISO needs to be loaded to a spare partition that converting the ISO to it will again repartition. Once you do that, then you can boot that spare partition, which is the same software that you would find on a USB key.
    You are far better off just going the normal way, not to lose time, and effort and potentially overwrite your existing system.
    That is what I do.
    A few minutes (max 5) to create the USB.
    What I do is preconfigure my target system. You said it was a spare disk. Using gparted, I would do the following:
    make a gpt disk using device properties.
    1) allocate a 260meg fat32 which will become the uefi or /boot/efi partition
    2) allocate a 10gig (could be as low as 5gigs) boot partition ext4
    3) A 8 gig swap for swap
    4( a 8 gig swap for hibernate
    5) a 30gig / (can be as small as 20 gigs) as xfs (following RedHat's practice )
    6) a xxgig /home (xfs or ext4) .. You can later make links of every folder on this /home to the sda1 /home. If you are going to link to the other sda /home, then is this disk to be the master and the /sda the backup. Some ideas here for a follow up message
    LABEL the disks. I would use F30Boot, F30HOME,F30swap F30hibernate,F30efi so that the custom step below is easier to do.

When you use anaconda, ignore the 4) 2nd swap partition. Anaconda will use if for suspend/hibernate.

When you begin the installation, check on the bottom of the screen for disk selection. One link will be there to choose the boot disk.
    Thereafter choose custom install.
    There is a slow process that anaconda takes to analyze the 2 disks and to download it's list of repros. Can take a few minutes.
    Thereafter assign the 5 partitions and proceed.

I normally use the network install ISO. It is available on the same page as GET-Fedora.

Enjoy. Its an easy step by step task.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 11th May 2019 at 09:46 PM.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3) A 8 gig swap for swap
    4) a 8 gig swap for hibernate
    No need for that, hibernate can use the swap partition. So you only really need one swap partition (and even that's only if you want hiberate, three of my four system have no swap partitions at all the one that does only has it because I never took off the old swap partition from a long ago installation)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the original poster may mean something like what ArchLinux has, which is very handy. They have a script that will install to a pre-created partition from another running Linux system. Practically speaking, it may not have any real advantage, as I think most servers would only run one O/S so it would be more for single user laptops or desktops, and also, once the Arch system is installed, you'd have to boot to it, but still it's a handy way to quickly install.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...existing_Linux
    gives the process. I've done it a couple of times, and it's pretty trouble free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While it is true that you could ignore the swap for hibernate, my experience is that when Anaconda finds more than one swap partition, it will use the one from the other disk for hibernate. And if you happen to delete or reformat that partition, your boot process will wait for 90 seconds for that non existent swap to mounted.
    With today's desk capacity, a second swap partition may not be significant disk space consumption. Also, having it will keep Anaconda from assigning the swap on SDA for your system on SDB.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840