Idea about the forum
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East part of The Netherlands
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Idea about the forum

    Hi,

    What I have always hated on forums pages, not only on this one but on many forums, are the pop-ups which appear when you hover a thread, covering a large part of your screen so you can't read what is now underneath them.
    Is there a way to switch them off? For me they do more bad than good.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Que, Canada
    Posts
    5,946
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Idea about the forum

    Quote Originally Posted by DeMus
    Hi,

    What I have always hated on forums pages, not only on this one but on many forums, are the pop-ups which appear when you hover a thread, covering a large part of your screen so you can't read what is now underneath them.
    Is there a way to switch them off? For me they do more bad than good.
    Check your browser setting. The popups you mentioned do not occur to me. Popups are not a forum activated thing. I need to click on the link or other for a popup to occur.
    Leslie in Montreal

    Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Age
    73
    Posts
    23,715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Idea about the forum

    moved to Suggestions & Feedback.

    Can you describe the pop-ups & does this happen when you're logged in?
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651


    Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    925
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Idea about the forum

    I believe he means these things (sorry, it's starting to fade here, screenshot was too slow):

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popups.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	30299

    The code for these is CSS based. Assuming you're a Firefox user you could create a rule in UserContent.css to disable the threadinfo div class:


    Code:
    <li class="threadbit " id="thread_321329">
    	<div class="rating0 nonsticky">
    		<div class="threadinfo" title="Hi, 
     
    What I have always hated on forums pages, not only on this one but on many forums, are the pop-ups which appear when you hover a thread, covering a large part of your screen so you can't read what is now underneath them. 
    Is there a way to switch them off? For me they do more bad than good.">
    			<!--  status icon block -->
    			<a class="threadstatus" rel="vB::AJAX" ></a>
    
    			<!-- title / author block -->
    			<div class="inner">
    				<h3 class="threadtitle">

    You could probably do the same with certain plugins, noScript or Adblock plus maybe.

    Haydn.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East part of The Netherlands
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Idea about the forum

    I can't create s screenshot of the pop-up, as soon as I make one the pop-up disappears, so I made a picture with my phone and reduced it in size.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190507_171123.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	30300
    Don't look at the colors, I'm still working on nice themes and colors.

    What I meant in my first post is the large blue pop-up which appears when I hover the cursor over a thread title in the list. As you can see it is gigantic and covering a large part of the screen. When others don't have it I wonder what is wrong here. I always have, on every forum I visit, not only Fedora.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Age
    73
    Posts
    23,715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Idea about the forum

    Ah! I have a smaller version pop-up if I hover the TITLE of the thread which is fine in my Admin duties, since I can check out the post without going into the thread, then backing out after reviewing content. As info, now that I'm in THIS thread, if I hover the Title link, the pop-up becomes: "Reload this Page". And my pop-up is black, with white type.

    Honestly, not a clue where that originates, but I notice similar things happening on Facebook, where there's a link and hovering brings up an image of what the link is.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651


    Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East part of The Netherlands
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Idea about the forum

    Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH
    I believe he means these things (sorry, it's starting to fade here, screenshot was too slow):

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popups.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	30299

    The code for these is CSS based. Assuming you're a Firefox user you could create a rule in UserContent.css to disable the threadinfo div class:


    Code:
    <li class="threadbit " id="thread_321329">
    	<div class="rating0 nonsticky">
    		<div class="threadinfo" title="Hi, 
     
    What I have always hated on forums pages, not only on this one but on many forums, are the pop-ups which appear when you hover a thread, covering a large part of your screen so you can't read what is now underneath them. 
    Is there a way to switch them off? For me they do more bad than good.">
    			<!--  status icon block -->
    			<a class="threadstatus" rel="vB::AJAX" ></a>
    
    			<!-- title / author block -->
    			<div class="inner">
    				<h3 class="threadtitle">

    You could probably do the same with certain plugins, noScript or Adblock plus maybe.

    Haydn.
    No, I don't use Firefox. Have used Chrome and Chromium and now I am using Vivaldi and in every browser, and on every forum, it is the same. No idea where it comes from.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    925
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Idea about the forum

    Quote Originally Posted by DeMus
    No, I don't use Firefox. Have used Chrome and Chromium and now I am using Vivaldi and in every browser, and on every forum, it is the same. No idea where it comes from.
    Well it's the same html/css code for everyone as that's server side, it's essentially a onMouseOver with displays the threadinfo div I posted to above. How you tell your specific browser to not show divs named "threadinfo" on "fedoraforum.org" will be specific to your browser, I'm a Firefox user so I know for Firefox it's UserContent.css.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    East part of The Netherlands
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Idea about the forum

    Quote Originally Posted by HaydnH
    Well it's the same html/css code for everyone as that's server side, it's essentially a onMouseOver with displays the threadinfo div I posted to above. How you tell your specific browser to not show divs named "threadinfo" on "fedoraforum.org" will be specific to your browser, I'm a Firefox user so I know for Firefox it's UserContent.css.
    Does this mean, @HaydnH , that you had to code to make it stop, that you also had this before you did that? Then everyone who can not code has it. When I read the messages here on the forum it doesn't seem to be like that. But as I said, it is not only here, it's on every forum I open pages, with all browsers I have used in the past. When I have it, everyone has it, with the exception of a few lucky people who can code.
    My idea is to let the forum stop doing it. But it seems others benefit from it so that won't happen.

Similar Threads

  1. A new general forum in Forum...
    By LittleOne in forum Suggestions & Feedback
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28th October 2010, 02:34 PM
  2. New Forum Section Idea
    By Silpheed2K in forum Suggestions & Feedback
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21st June 2009, 02:39 PM
  3. An idea I might do
    By ReveurInfini in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th October 2007, 03:21 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th July 2005, 10:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •