Fedora 30 Upgrade Seemingly Stuck
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Fedora 30 Upgrade Seemingly Stuck

So my main rig was in the early stages of the upgrade reboot to Fedora 30, but it appears to be stuck after reaching the 'alsa-lib' package (in my case step 174/4889). It's been on this package for over 20 minutes now with no apparent signs of activity.
    Normally I can at least hear when logs are being written (loud HDDs), but right now it's giving me nothing.

At what point should I be concerned/start to panic, and what's the biggest thing I should definitely not do (aside from panic)?

Edit1:
    It's been over an hour now, and still nothing. I seriously wouldn't think it would take this long to upgrade the alsa libraries. I'm quickly losing hope for this. None of the other systems acted like this.

Edit2:
    Things have gotten significantly worse due to situations not related to Fedora, but now it seems to have hung at the cleanup stage for bzip2, at step 3799/4551.

And now after another try, we're just sitting at a blinking cursor after "Started Login Service".
    I don't know why this has gone so wrong. It did get through all the cleanup at least.

Now I'm stuck on 29, I can't start the normal terminal, only xterm, and it's saying "System not ready for upgrade".
    And now I want to cry.
    Last edited by CPT Gray Wolf; 6th May 2019 at 07:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fedora 30 Upgrade Seemingly Stuck

So how did this story end?

Did you re-install ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fedora 30 Upgrade Seemingly Stuck

Badly. I did end up reinstalling, but that was hardly the worst part.

I'll just show you the thread I posted on another forum.

Floopin' Heck! aka. Murphy's Law Kicks (My Face) In (PG/PC Edited):

Everything has officially gone wrong.

It all started when I decided to update my systems to the latest version of Fedora.

Everything went fine on my laptop and every server I tried, but when the time came to upgrade my main rig, Murphy's Law kicked in. Hard.

I've never had an upgrade go wrong, and especially not like this. Everything was fine, until the upgrade actually started, then a short time in, everything froze. I figured, "whatever I'll let it be for now", and passed out as I hadn't slept yet. However, when I woke up, it was still frozen. And thus began the downhill spiral.

I rebooted the system, hopping that it would magically start working again. No luck. In fact, I didn't even get a BIOS logo. I disconnected everything, and pulled the system out. I then proceeded to remove the second graphics card (an RX 480), and crossed my fingers. Still no luck. Just a black screen.

I started to get that "Heckn' heck..." sinking feeling as I proceeded to switch out my main card (a used $500 RX Vega 64) with the old secondary card. Luckily, this time the system booted. Unfortunately, that meant that my, now past its return date, $500 card, was causing my system to hang. I proceeded to take the card apart, and change the thermal compound. The only thing I really could do.

At this point though I notice that the upgrade had hung again, this time during cleanup. I proceeded to reboot and try the upgrade a third time, and pray that it would just finish. Unfortunately, it seems that I have angered my computer, and she wasn't done yet.

The system finished cleanup and then sat there, for several minutes, just doing nothing, saying that it was going to reboot. Finally I got fed up, and decided to press the power button, just to see what it would do. It did at least shut down, but the upgrade still failed. When I rebooted this time, I was still on the old version, but now it refused to return to the upgrade, saying that it wasn't ready.

Now I'm stuck with a broken upgrade, gnome-terminal won't even start (Have to use xterm), a probably screwed GPU that cost me way too much money, and I've wasted a bunch of my day off on this garbage.

So to my lovely, kind computer, please forgive me for whatever I did and just be merciful. I will be forever grateful.
    The original post had far more expletives.

It didn't get any better after that, and I had to reinstall. The GPU is still sitting off to the side, untested, as I'm not sure the thermal pads I have are thick enough for the gaps between the sink and the VRMs.

I was at least able to back everything up and restore my configs to the new install.