XFCE annoyances
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XFCE annoyances

Over Easter, I upgraded from OpenSuse to Fedora 29, with the XFCE desktop.

Annoyance 1. When you have a program running and you hover the mouse pointer over the indicator on the taskbar, a popup (tooltip) is displayed. How do you turn these things off please? On OpenSuse there was an option to disable popups in panel preferences, but this is missing on Fedora. I've tried various suggestions from the internet, involving changing .gtkrc-2.0, etc to no avail.

Annoyance 2. I have my screen saver set to lock the screen after 10 minutes and blank after 120 minutes. It blanks the screen after some minutes of inactivity on the keyboard and then the system refuses to wake up when I move the mouse or hit keys. OpenSuse used to wake up when I hit keys. The only way that I have found to wake Fedora when this happens, is to touch the power button, which wakes up to the login prompt, losing my session. How do I fix this please?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: XFCE annoyances

Xfce has never had an option to switch off tooltips. It can be done for individual launchers but not universal. Previously it could be done in .gtkrc-2.0 but as 29 has the GTK3 version of the panel you need a GTK3 solution. You might ask on the Xfce forum for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Annoyance 1 fixed. If anybody is interested, add the following to /etc/gtk/gtkrc and/or $HOME/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css I'm not sure which fixed it as I put it in both.
    tooltip { opacity: 0 }

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is "opacity; 0" the correct css to use for that? "opacity: 0" will still consume space (think of adblockers either hiding the ad leaving a white square or reclaiming the space from the ad), that may not be important as I assume the tooltips aren't moving any other elements around so it won't matter if the space is taken up or not. However, "opacity: 0" will still consume clicks which may get annoying, i.e: If you try and click something underneath an "opacity: 0" tooltip you'll either not be able to or you'll click something hidden on the tooltip. You probably want either "visibility: hidden" which still consumes space but does not consume clicks or "display: none" which consumes neither space nor clicks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't had any problems clicking with my fix. Hovering over the panel indicator doesn't bring up the annoying popup, but left clicking maximises the program, and right click brings up the menu which lets you kill it off, etc.

Annoyance 2: I've stopped the box going to sleep by disabling xfce4-power-manager on startup. xscreensaver is running, but doesn't kick in at all. Annoying but far less annoying than having the box go to sleep.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you using Wayland at all (even for GDM?), you can find out how to check here (post 4): https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showt...ver-won-t-lock

Once you've confirmed you're not using Wayland at all, then try "xscreensaver-command -activate" on the command line and see if you get any errors.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OH, and if you're workstation/laptop isn't physically secure, checkout the xscreensaver FAQ for some backdoors and how to secure them: https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#no-ctl-alt-bs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good place for information on how to configure XFCE is
    http://forum.xfce.org

That is where I pretty much ask all of my XFCE questions.