Keyboard and mouse lag after Upgrade to 30
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Keyboard and mouse lag after Upgrade to 30

I upgraded from 28 to 29. No issues. Everything worked as expected.
    Upgraded from 29 to 30 and I can't get anything typed properly anymore as the keyboard acts like a drunken sailor! It will randomly repeat a character and then skip a character. This makes typing a password impossible! I tried changing from gdm to sddm to lightdm - no change. My mouse moves like a slug and my keyboard is maddening refusing to cooperate. I changed the Wayland setting in /etc/gdm/custom.conf to disable it but no fix...

Is there anything else I can do?

I doubt this has anything to do with my Home Dir since the system is basically unusable before I can even login!

If I SSH into the system it works just fine - just locally it sucks out loud! I have no special drivers for anything.... it's an integrated Intel Video card so nothing special.... usb keyboard/mouse so nothing there either.... just weird.....

I'm checking /var/log/messages but don't see anything worhwhile yet.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Keyboard and mouse lag after Upgrade to 30

I have an oddball motherboard and was having the same issue, iommu was disabled in the bios. Turning it on fixed the mouse problem, but killed usb3 in the process.
    I added 2 lines to grub, iommu=soft (fixed the mouse / keyboard issue) and pci=nomsi (brought usb3 back to life) I did leave the bios alone, iommu still disabled there.
    Try adding those 2 lines manually on a reboot to see if it works for you, if it does you can add them to grub.cfg and /etd/default/grub later on.
    Hope it works for you too.
    (it's a hobby, but I like it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: Keyboard and mouse lag after Upgrade to 30

Quote Originally Posted by DaleDonofrio
    I have an oddball motherboard and was having the same issue, iommu was disabled in the bios. Turning it on fixed the mouse problem, but killed usb3 in the process.
    I added 2 lines to grub, iommu=soft (fixed the mouse / keyboard issue) and pci=nomsi (brought usb3 back to life) I did leave the bios alone, iommu still disabled there.
    Try adding those 2 lines manually on a reboot to see if it works for you, if it does you can add them to grub.cfg and /etd/default/grub later on.
    Hope it works for you too.
    (it's a hobby, but I like it)
    THANK YOU!!! That completely fixed my issue! I added both lines and I guess I could play with which (if not both) fixed it but not really caring as I have my desktop back!

I have never ran into this one before - and I've been playing with Linux since before Red Hat.... it's a great hobby that turned into a nice career

Thanks again. I will put this into my "stuff to know" file for future reference!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the exact same issue but the proposed fix didn't work for me. I also don't understand how the proposed fix relates to the problem.

I also have nouveau=noaccel in grub.cfg (always had trouble with nouveau) but otherwise everything is pretty much "vanilla."

.: edit :.
    I fixed this without any of the above. I appended 3 to my grub command line so I could boot into terminal and then disabled Wayland in /etc/gdm/custom.conf

Restart and all fine.
    Last edited by dibstaru; 9th June 2019 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you access the files of your mouse doesn’t work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in my case I SSH'd into the system from another box.... I could make changes, reboot and try locally again and if it still acted weird I'd SSH in and try other settings....