[SOLVED] Can' t fresh install fedora 30 from external USB hard drive - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can' t fresh install fedora 30 from external USB hard drive

I tried custom partitioning and assign the same volumes in my current fedora 29 LVM setup to the mount points in the anticipated fedora 30 installation and the installer seemed happy with this configuration and didn' t complain of the external drive any more. So after all avoiding the automatic option seemed to avoid the problem.
    This is good to hear. You seemed to be held back by fear that anything new you tried would still result in the original error. It turned out that the bug was only with auto partitioning.

For posterity you had a 105 GB LVM volume with over 80 GB free. You had enough space for 2 or 3 other linux distributions inside along with keeping Fedora 29.

Code:
    /dev/mapper/fedora-root   49G  7.9G   39G  17% /
    /dev/mapper/fedora-home   47G  2.1G   42G   5% /home
    You could have used lvreduce to shrink either of these partitions for space to install Fedora 30 in parallel.

If I did so and then the fedora 30 Anaconda installer wouldn't proceed for whatever reason(I already have one now) then I would lose my current fedora installation while not managing to install a new one, you see my dilemma?
    There was no dilemma at all. I was talking about shrinking the very large and mostly empty logical volumes to create space for F30. You would still have been able to boot into F29 if the F30 installation failed.
    Last edited by amiga; 8th May 2019 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found a similar alternative method to what I've been trying to use. Instead of extracting the fedora installation iso contents directly to the partition on the external USB drive, I've tried the technique described here https://github.com/thias/glim. I just copied the iso file itself to the partition and then instructed grub to boot from the iso image; in specific that example https://github.com/thias/glim/blob/m...inc-fedora.cfg was pretty useful. After that I chose the automatic partitioning during the installation(without freeing space of fedora 29 installation or mounting the old partitions to mount points for the new fedora 30 installation) and the installer was happy.

I'm just mentioning this method as well as it might be useful to anyone having a problem with the first method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSK61
    I've created a live USB installation media on a partition on an external USB hard drive. I had no problem booting my PC to the USB hard drive and getting into a live fedora graphical environment(; I'm using the KDE spin). I then start the installer to install fedora to an internal drive(different from the external USB drive I booted from).

Now I get to selecting the "Installation Destination" in Anaconda installer. Of course the external USB drive isn't listed among the "Local Standard Disks" as expected. I then select an internal disk to install fedora to, as seen in this screenshot.
    Attachment 30275

After I free some space on the selected destination drive and get back to the "INSTALLATION SUMMARY" screen, I have a red "Error checking storage configuration" error message under the "Installation Destination" icon, as seen here.
    Attachment 30276

When I enter the "INSTALLATION DESTINATION" screen again, I have the same error message at the very bottom of the screen.
    Attachment 30277

When I click the "Click for details." link, I see the following dialog.
    Attachment 30278

/dev/sdb1 is the partition on my external USB drive that's holding the live installation image I've booted from. It's normal to be mounted since I'm running the installer from within the live media. It seems the installer sees this external drive as a destination for the installation(although I've obviously not selected it for such a purpose and it wasn't even listed in the local disks screen above). Of course trying to unmount the partition goes in vain as it's still being used.

I'm really confused as I have always used that exact method of installation for many previous releases of fedora without any problem. Has anyone faced the same problem?

Thanks for help.
    I encountered the same error during installation. In my case, making the USB bootable through Rufus, writing the image in DD mode (instead of ISO mode as I did earlier) no longer showed any errors. I was then able to install successfully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darthcookie
    I encountered the same error during installation. In my case, making the USB bootable through Rufus, writing the image in DD mode (instead of ISO mode as I did earlier) no longer showed any errors. I was then able to install successfully.
    I am guessing that you are using MBR, as on my HP spectre x360, I have UEFI and GPT disks set, Windows 10 and now I am trying to install Fedora 30 for fun and have same result of not being able to mount sda1. In my case not even with dd with Rufus is not working. Oh btw, I also have bitlocker on top which is usually broken by GRUB, unless I use rEFINd. I have read some previous "arrogant" answers where some individuals try to play smart suggesting that people should be able to put an effort, investing their time of finding a solution for a bug in the software. Well, for the start, then scratch that "user friendly" from RH documentation, as it is not. Average Joe do not wish to search for a solution, but to install God damn OS, and they will most likely steer towards Ubuntu. I am talking not as average Joe but as advanced very skilled systems, security and networks engineer, with current position as head of IT. So this is one thing. Another thing is that RH developers did scr*** things up as CentOS installation works flawlessly and RHEL as well. This proves their theory as false in FAQ where they say how solid Fedora is and we'll tested. For the same reason I ran always towards CentOS and Debian, as they are indeed solid rock, unlike test bed Fedora.

That's been said, this OS has bug, and if they want people to use it, they need to polish it until it is completely bug free... Or people will steer clear from this distro.

Brgds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dovla091
    I am guessing that you are using MBR, as on my HP spectre x360, I have UEFI and GPT disks set, Windows 10 and now I am trying to install Fedora 30 for fun and have same result of not being able to mount sda1. In my case not even with dd with Rufus is not working. Oh btw, I also have bitlocker on top which is usually broken by GRUB, unless I use rEFINd. I have read some previous "arrogant" answers where some individuals try to play smart suggesting that people should be able to put an effort, investing their time of finding a solution for a bug in the software. Well, for the start, then scratch that "user friendly" from RH documentation, as it is not. Average Joe do not wish to search for a solution, but to install God damn OS, and they will most likely steer towards Ubuntu. I am talking not as average Joe but as advanced very skilled systems, security and networks engineer, with current position as head of IT. So this is one thing. Another thing is that RH developers did scr*** things up as CentOS installation works flawlessly and RHEL as well. This proves their theory as false in FAQ where they say how solid Fedora is and we'll tested. For the same reason I ran always towards CentOS and Debian, as they are indeed solid rock, unlike test bed Fedora.

That's been said, this OS has bug, and if they want people to use it, they need to polish it until it is completely bug free... Or people will steer clear from this distro.

Brgds.
    Fedora is a test bed for RH so it's going to be unrealistic to expect it to be bug free. Especially since modern OS are so complex, it's not realistic to expect any to be bug free.

Since Fedora's target is not the mass market so it probably doesn't bother Redhat too much if the process is less than perfect or not many people use it. Although I'd say it's probably bad for Redhat in the long run. Since people who get used to using a particular distribution for their desktop would inevitably lean towards the same distro for work. It's just like I work with mainly CentOS/RHEL servers so wanted to have the same environment at home, just that C7/RH7 aren't new enough for the stuff I want to do, hence Fedora.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Submit existing of this bug.
    I installed 27 and 28 by the same way before, without bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by darthcookie
    Thank you, this solution helped. I used "write as ISO" before.

Quote Originally Posted by dovla091

Brgds.
    UEFI GPT Windows 10 Pro + Fedora 30, rEFInd. Without bitlocker. Also create USB key with Rufus.
    I also had messages in /tmp/anaconda.log like you described here.
    Code:
    06:27:04,986 DBG ui.helpers: Run sanity check verify_mounted_partitions.
    06:27:04,986 DBG ui.helpers: Found sanity error: /dev/sdb1 is currently mounted and cannot be used for the installation. Please unmount it and retry.
    But I had no anything similar to "nvme" mounted on /dev/ like amiga suggested:
    Quote Originally Posted by amiga
    There appears to be a problem with the /dev/nvme drive if that is where you want to install to. There still appears only to be 1.3 MiB free. Where did you make space ?

Please use GParted to view the partition contents of /dev/nvme and post the output here.

Also I would not use automatic partitioning at all in this case. I would create all of the partitions such as /, swap, and possibly /boot in advance with GParted or some other tool and then simply mount them to the proper points during installation.
    Did you try darthcookie's solution? It helped to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitresso
    Thank you, this solution helped. I used "write as ISO" before.
    You're welcome, glad it helped you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did, but after using Rufus with DD, my HP spectre x360 cannot boot from USB...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2