[SOLVED] Can' t fresh install fedora 30 from external USB hard drive
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Can' t fresh install fedora 30 from external USB hard drive

I've created a live USB installation media on a partition on an external USB hard drive. I had no problem booting my PC to the USB hard drive and getting into a live fedora graphical environment(; I'm using the KDE spin). I then start the installer to install fedora to an internal drive(different from the external USB drive I booted from).

Now I get to selecting the "Installation Destination" in Anaconda installer. Of course the external USB drive isn't listed among the "Local Standard Disks" as expected. I then select an internal disk to install fedora to, as seen in this screenshot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20190503_013526.png 
Views:	286 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	30275

After I free some space on the selected destination drive and get back to the "INSTALLATION SUMMARY" screen, I have a red "Error checking storage configuration" error message under the "Installation Destination" icon, as seen here.

Name:	Screenshot_20190503_013927.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	30276

When I enter the "INSTALLATION DESTINATION" screen again, I have the same error message at the very bottom of the screen.

Name:	Screenshot_20190503_014117.png 
Views:	243 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	30277

When I click the "Click for details." link, I see the following dialog.

Name:	Screenshot_20190503_014245.png 
Views:	435 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	30278

/dev/sdb1 is the partition on my external USB drive that's holding the live installation image I've booted from. It's normal to be mounted since I'm running the installer from within the live media. It seems the installer sees this external drive as a destination for the installation(although I've obviously not selected it for such a purpose and it wasn't even listed in the local disks screen above). Of course trying to unmount the partition goes in vain as it's still being used.

I'm really confused as I have always used that exact method of installation for many previous releases of fedora without any problem. Has anyone faced the same problem?

Thanks for help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can' t fresh install fedora 30 from external USB hard drive

There appears to be a problem with the /dev/nvme drive if that is where you want to install to. There still appears only to be 1.3 MiB free. Where did you make space ?

Please use GParted to view the partition contents of /dev/nvme and post the output here.

Also I would not use automatic partitioning at all in this case. I would create all of the partitions such as /, swap, and possibly /boot in advance with GParted or some other tool and then simply mount them to the proper points during installation.
    Last edited by amiga; 3rd May 2019 at 02:48 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Related Question:

Anyone ever do the following: With a spare 10g partition, use it with dd to make that partition bootable via the command sudo dd if=file.iso of=/dev/sdbx where /dev/sdbx is that partition. In my case I am using a true partition, not one that would get overwritten during the installation process.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The screenshot I've taken might not show the space I've freed since it was taken before I cleared some space for the installation(through the "Reclaim Space" dialog). Regardless of this, I've no problem with the NVMe driver as it correctly reflects the amount of space I freed(after freeing it).

I've used automatic partitioning with many previous releases of fedora with that very installation method and I don't remember I had any problems at all at any time. Moreover I'm still wondering why it complains of the external USB drive(where the live installation media resides) although it isn't listed in the local disks. It seems the installer has implicitly selected the external USB drive for installation while giving me no chance to exclude it from the installation.

EDIT: Turns out the free space on the NVM drive won't be updated until I click "Begin Installation" in the "INSTALLATION SUMMARY" screen(which is when the space I freed is really reclaimed). However I can't click "Begin Installation" since the installer still sees a problem with my current storage configuration.
    Last edited by MSK61; 3rd May 2019 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my case I haven't put the installation sources on that partition via dd, but rather using a program called YUMI https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-m...t-usb-creator/. From fedora installation guide dd should also work(although I haven't tried it), since fedora iso images are hybrid images.

The real point is to get your PC to see this partition as a boot option(for example if it's on an external USB hard drive or a pendrive). If it's on an internal hard drive then you might want to fiddle with your bootloader configuration(grub, windows boot manager, ...etc.) to instruct it to list that partition as a boot option.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Related Question:

Anyone ever do the following: With a spare 10g partition, use it with dd to make that partition bootable via the command sudo dd if=file.iso of=/dev/sdbx where /dev/sdbx is that partition. In my case I am using a true partition, not one that would get overwritten during the installation process.
    It's not really related since it has nothing to do with nvme storage issues. please open your own thread rather than taking this one off topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The screenshot I've taken might not show the space I've freed since it was taken before I cleared some space for the installation(through the "Reclaim Space" dialog). Regardless of this, I've no problem with the NVMe driver as it correctly reflects the amount of space I freed(after freeing it).
    If this is true then why can't you use GParted to show this to us like I asked.

Please use GParted to view the partition contents of /dev/nvme and post the output here.
    I've used automatic partitioning with many previous releases of fedora with that very installation method and I don't remember I had any problems at all at any time.
    This may be so, however since you are having trouble now so why not try something new this time. Perhaps if you specify pre-created partitions on the NVMe explicitly it won't be confused. Even if you have found a bug in Anaconda this could be a workaround.
    Last edited by amiga; 3rd May 2019 at 04:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT: Turns out the free space on the NVM drive won't be updated until I click "Begin Installation" in the "INSTALLATION SUMMARY" screen(which is when the space I freed is really reclaimed). However I can't click "Begin Installation" since the installer still sees a problem with my current storage configuration.
    Did you ever try clicking the blue Refresh... link in the bottom right corner of the screen ? It appears just after the line stating that only 1.3 MiB is free on the 1 selected disk of 238.47 GiB capacity.

Also there is a button called "Modify Storage Layout" in the bottom right corner of the error dialog in the last screenshot. This would presumably show the current storage layout that is causing problems. Have you ever pressed this button ? Try it and post the results here.
    Last edited by amiga; 3rd May 2019 at 10:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you ever try clicking the blue Refresh... link in the bottom right corner of the screen ?
    Clicking this button takes me to this dialog.

Name:	Screenshot_20190504_015453.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	30281

Now pressing the "Rescan Disks" button starts the scan process that takes so long(but eventually completes). Nothing ever changes(in the displayed disks or available free space on each) after it completes.

Name:	Screenshot_20190504_020435.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	30283

Also there is a button called "Modify Storage Layout" in the bottom right corner of the error dialog in the last screenshot.
    Pressing this button just dismisses the dialog(which indicates that it's a misnomer by the way, but that's another issue). I then get back to the main "Installation Destination" screen(first screenshot in the original post).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if you have found a bug in Anaconda this could be a workaround.
    Just a few hours before I read your reply, I created an issue against anaconda here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a few hours before I read your reply, I created an issue against anaconda here.
    This isn't what I meant when I suggested you try custom partitioning as a workaround. Complaining to more people isn't necessarily going to solve the problem faster. You need to actively work on solving the problem yourself. Also the screenshots you posted on this site are the same ones you posted here which are out of date as they still show that there is only 1.3 MiB free on the NVMe drive. If you did successfully free up space on the NVMe drive as you claimed then the next time you ran Anaconda it should show more free space.

You still haven't posted GParted output to show the partition layout of the NVMe drive and to prove that you have enough space. As well you should redo the Anaconda screenshots to show the increased free space.

You may not understand this as you have never used custom partitioning but if you select this option you are sent to another screen that shows the layout of the destination drive which should explain much of what is happening.
    Last edited by amiga; 4th May 2019 at 06:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complaining to more people isn't necessarily going to solve the problem faster.
    I've posted this problem there because I think this's a real bug that has to be reported to anaconda developers.

Also the screenshots you posted on this site are the same ones you posted here which are out of date as they still show that there is only 1.3 MiB free on the NVMe drive. If you did successfully free up space on the NVMe drive as you claimed then the next time you ran Anaconda it should show more free space.
    The screenshots will always show 1.3 MiB free on the NVMe drive, no matter how many times I take them. The same applies every time I run anaconda; it'll always report the same free space, 1.3 MiB. The reason is when I free space in anaconda, it only stores my instructions for freeing space but doesn't immediately execute them. My instructions take effect only when I click "Begin Installation"; that's when anaconda really starts to apply my instructions for freeing space. Not a single time when I ran anaconda did it managed to free the space I reclaimed since it never gets to this stage in the installation(post-clicking "Begin Installation"); that's why the next time I run anaconda it sees the same free space as all previous runs did. The following couple of screenshots illustrate my point.

Name:	Screenshot_20190504_105624.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	30285

before freeing space, space to reclaim: 0 B

Name:	Screenshot_20190504_110558.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	30288

after reclaiming spaces(just specifying my instructions; anaconda hasn't executed any yet). space to reclaim: 106.11 GiB

Name:	Screenshot_20190504_111334.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	30289

You still haven't posted GParted output to show the partition layout of the NVMe drive and to prove that you have enough space.
    GParted(and actually any other partitioning tool) would show that I still have 1.3 MiB free space on my NVMe drive. All such tools report the current status of the drive and not the future state that will exist after anaconda executes its planned instructions. As I said anaconda never got to the stage where it would be able to free the space I claimed.

As well you should redo the Anaconda screenshots to show the increased free space.
    Redoing them would do no good; they'll always report the same free space.

You may not understand this as you have never used custom partitioning but if you select this option you are sent to another screen that shows the layout of the destination drive which should explain much of what is happening.
    I'm sparing custom partitioning as a last resort. I know I could have used this option(and many others indeed) to create partitions for the fedora installation upfront, but I wanted to investigate this scenario(that worked successfully many times before with prior versions of fedora) to see if someone has bumped to the same problems I'm running into, if I'm doing something wrong or if I need to make a missing step to resolve the situation.

IMHO if this problem related to NVM and reporting free space, the installer should have complained in its error messages of not enough space on the NVMe drive, not of a partition on some other completely different drive being currently mounted(/dev/sdb1 representing the partition holding the live installation media on the external USB hard drive). With such a symptom present, I'm afraid that even creating the partitions and mount points upfront would still elicit the same error message. I think we've digressed quite far from the main problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The screenshots will always show 1.3 MiB free on the NVMe drive, no matter how many times I take them. The same applies every time I run anaconda; it'll always report the same free space, 1.3 MiB. The reason is when I free space in anaconda, it only stores my instructions for freeing space but doesn't immediately execute them. My instructions take effect only when I click "Begin Installation"; that's when anaconda really starts to apply my instructions for freeing space. Not a single time when I ran anaconda did it managed to free the space I reclaimed since it never gets to this stage in the installation(post-clicking "Begin Installation"); that's why the next time I run anaconda it sees the same free space as all previous runs did. The following couple of screenshots illustrate my point.
    You don't need the install program Anaconda to free space at all. You can use GParted or any other partitioning tool to shrink partitions on the NVMe drive before starting the installer. Since your were using LVM for Fedora 29 it would be easiest to simply re-use this LVM PV. This is likely how most people would free up space for a new OS. They would shrink partitions before starting the installer.

You didn't give enough information in your first post. The three screenshots in your post #12 should have been in your first post as they show the layout of your NVMe drive. Also you never mentioned in your first post that you had already installed Fedora 29 before and had a dual-boot system. This is relevant as you were using LVM and Anaconda won't touch an LVM PV for safety reasons. You were trying to delete this.

You seem to have a 50 GB LVM PV that currently only stores Fedora 29. Since you don't need 40 GB for a Fedora / partition you could probably shrink this to half the size and create a second logical volume for the Fedora 30 /. You could re-use the existing swap partition inside the VG as well as the existing 1 GB /boot partition.

If you are capable of still booting into F29 then run the following commands and post the output:

Code:
    $ df -h
    $ sudo lvm
    > pvs
    > vgs
    > lvs
    exit

You don't seem interested in actually installing Fedora 30. You only seem interested in exposing a possible Anaconda bug as you see it. Just because Anaconda won't do what you want in Automatic mode does not mean there is a bug in it. Even if Anaconda doesn't allow you to free up space in auto mode you can do that with GParted or in your case lvm commands before starting the installer as many if not most people do.

GParted(and actually any other partitioning tool) would show that I still have 1.3 MiB free space on my NVMe drive. All such tools report the current status of the drive and not the future state that will exist after anaconda executes its planned instructions. As I said anaconda never got to the stage where it would be able to free the space I claimed.
    I am telling you to use other tools instead of Anaconda to create space before you start the installation process.
    Last edited by amiga; 4th May 2019 at 09:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is relevant as you were using LVM and Anaconda won't touch an LVM PV for safety reasons. You were trying to delete this.
    I don't know if you probably mean the latest version of Anaconda shipping with fedora 30 live CD, but let me assure you that Anaconda always happily executed my delete instructions with LVM volumes in many previous fedora live CD's.

Since you don't need 40 GB for a Fedora / partition you could probably shrink this to half the size and create a second logical volume for the Fedora 30 /.
    I don't care about that fedora 29 installation at all, so I don't mind wiping out fedora 29 completely and installing fedora 30 on top of its volumes. I can reuse the same volumes as mount points for fedora 30 partitions as you suggested earlier.

If you are capable of still booting into F29 then run the following commands and post the output:
    Yes, fedora 29 is still booting and that's one reason I don't want to delete its partitions with an external partitioning tool like GParted. If I did so and then the fedora 30 Anaconda installer wouldn't proceed for whatever reason(I already have one now) then I would lose my current fedora installation while not managing to install a new one, you see my dilemma?

Here's the output of the commands you asked for, although I don't think it'll be of any use for a reason I'm going to mention in a moment.
    Code:
    $ df -h
    Filesystem               Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    devtmpfs                 7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
    tmpfs                    7.8G  121M  7.7G   2% /dev/shm
    tmpfs                    7.8G  1.4M  7.8G   1% /run
    tmpfs                    7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/mapper/fedora-root   49G  7.9G   39G  17% /
    tmpfs                    7.8G   76K  7.8G   1% /tmp
    /dev/nvme0n1p6           976M  198M  712M  22% /boot
    /dev/mapper/fedora-home   47G  2.1G   42G   5% /home
    /dev/nvme0n1p1           256M   47M  210M  19% /boot/efi
    tmpfs                    1.6G   40K  1.6G   1% /run/user/1000
    /dev/sdb2                3.7T  933G  2.8T  26% /run/media/mel-afifi/My Passport
    /dev/sda2                932G   30G  903G   4% /run/media/mel-afifi/DATA
    $ sudo lvm
    lvm> pvs
      PV             VG     Fmt  Attr PSize    PFree
      /dev/nvme0n1p7 fedora lvm2 a--  <105.11g    0 
    lvm> vgs
      VG     #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize    VFree
      fedora   1   3   0 wz--n- <105.11g    0 
    lvm> lvs
      LV   VG     Attr       LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
      home fedora -wi-ao---- <47.27g                                                    
      root fedora -wi-ao----  50.00g                                                    
      swap fedora -wi-ao----   7.84g                                                    
    lvm> exit
      Exiting.
    Even if Anaconda doesn't allow you to free up space in auto mode you can do that with GParted or in your case lvm commands before starting the installer as many if not most people do.
    I'm afraid that even freeing up space outside Anaconda(before starting the installer) wouldn't help. Even if I wiped out all partitions on the NVMe drive and started with a fresh empty GPT, Anaconda would still fail to proceed since it would still see /dev/sdb1(the partition containing the installation media) mounted. The problem isn't in how much free space is available in the destination drive(NVMe); the problem is in the installation sources existing on an external USB HDD.

I've checked anaconda log file /tmp/anaconda.log created during installation(and attached here) and I've spotted the following log records:
    Code:
    06:27:04,743 DBG modules.storage.partitioning.automatic_partitioning: storage.disks: ['sdb', 'nvme0n1']
    06:27:04,743 DBG modules.storage.partitioning.automatic_partitioning: storage.partitioned: ['nvme0n1', 'sdb']
    These records show that sdb is always included in the list of drives to consider during automatic partitioning. As you said this might be a problem only with automatic partitioning, not with custom partitions created before starting the installer, but many lines later in the same log file I find these two records:
    Code:
    06:27:04,986 DBG ui.helpers: Run sanity check verify_mounted_partitions.
    06:27:04,986 DBG ui.helpers: Found sanity error: /dev/sdb1 is currently mounted and cannot be used for the installation. Please unmount it and retry.
    These kinds of checks may be performed even I select custom partitioning and prepare the partitions upfront. Anyway I'm going to reuse the same partitions in the current LVM and assign them to the mount points required by fedora 30 and see how it goes.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried custom partitioning and assign the same volumes in my current fedora 29 LVM setup to the mount points in the anticipated fedora 30 installation and the installer seemed happy with this configuration and didn' t complain of the external drive any more. So after all avoiding the automatic option seemed to avoid the problem.

Thanks for the long troubleshooting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast