Stopping Erroneous Network Traffic Being Sent
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stopping Erroneous Network Traffic Being Sent

Hello,

I noticed when running Redhat\Fedora release 7.6 in a VM from my PC that it trys to Send an enormous amount of data to the Internet. While I need the system to reach out to the Internet from time-to-time to install packages and do updates, I dont need it to continuously be sending data out.

I recreated a VM to prove the case and I was able to duplicate it. The only options I use are to install GUI support and also the App Dev tools. It is not a web, DHCP, DNS or any other system that would need to continually send data\packets out. I did disabled crony and use NTP with it though.

This network behavior is only happening for data being sent. No issues with amount of data being received (with is really small).

I wonder if there are some non-critical things that are sending data that I can disable. What can you recommend?

Thanks,

Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Stopping Erroneous Network Traffic Being Sent

There is no such thing as Red Hat Fedora 7.6 but Red Hat Enterprise Linux (and CentOS) are currently at 7.6 so I'm guessing you are running one of these. I have a number of servers running CentOS 7.6 and none of them randomly send "enormous amounts of data to the Internet".

Are you sure you are not just seeing traffic between the VM and the host system?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree. I run many CentOS 7.6 VMs, and none of them are excessively communicating to the net. The only thing I could think of is that there is a repository that is trying to be downloaded to check for updates and this is being prevented from happening, but even so, the traffic out should be minimal. It would be useful to get some statistics on the amount of traffic and see where it is going. Wireshark is useful in a GUI, but there is also ifstat and iftop which can give some real time counts or a basic netstat to see what is connected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen myself get momentarily puzzled why I have so much outgoing traffic on a host before realizing it is on the virtual network circuit so is actually incoming traffic to the VM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All good suggestions - thanks all! You helped me narrow the scope. I found it and will share he show others that have this issue will have a solution.

It was my VMs (VirtualBox) NAT adapter. I need the NAT adapter when the VM trys to update a package or download a file. Outside that, the solution I found was to: Disable the VM NAT Interface when not in use.