How to free up space on hard drive
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to free up space on hard drive

I'm trying to install F 30 beta and change the partition to all / and use my 120 gb ssd. Your installer is very confusing when trying to select custom and free up space. How is this done? Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to free up space on hard drive

After selecting language, next page shows "Installation summary", under "System" click on "Installation destination", on next page select the drive and at the bottom under "Storage configuration" you can select "Automatic, custom, or Advanced custom", select "custom" and "Done" at top left. You will now be at the "Custom Partitioning" where there is a drop down menu that says "LVM", click on that and select the type of partitioning, you could leave it at "LVM" and just hit the + at bottom left to add a mount point with desired size and select / as the mount point then enter size in MB or leave blank to use all, hit the "Add mount point" button, if installing in UEFI mode, you'll need to create an EFI partition first of around 300MB in size. On the next page you'll see the added partition in the main window and properties for it on the right, you can just leave everything and give the partition a name in the "Label" field. Hit the + button if you want to add any more partitions.

Now hit "Done" at top left and you'll get a summary of what will be done, for a single volume as root on a non-efi setup it should be similar to:

Create format partition table (MSDOS)
    Create device partition
    Create format physical volume (LVM)
    Create device lvmvg Fedora <----Volume group
    Create device lvmlv fedora-root <----Logical volume
    Create format ext4 fedora-root

Click "Done" or somewhere on that page and you'll be back at the "Installation summary" page, if Time, Network and Keyboard are good, click "Begin installation" at bottom right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried many times to repartition F29. Anaconda will not repartition drive to reinstall. Must have tried 10 times using your instructions. This is the most frustrating installer I've ever used! All I want to do is reinstall and re-partition to a single root / drive w/ ext4 . Maybe in the future they can redesign anaconda and make it easier to figure so we don't have to ask these questions on the forum.
    Last edited by vinoman; 15th April 2019 at 11:30 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

they already tried by adding blivet to anaconda which is supposed to be easier to use. clearly it isn't. I prefer to partition manually using either GParted or KDE Partition Manager before running anaconda. Then in anaconda I pick custom partitioning and just set the mount points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I tried to set the mount point / and add number of MB (111000) it wouldn't take. I wrote it a couple of ways with mb and without and still it wouldn't change the amount for the / partition!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

which is why I partition first in an external program. anaconda partitioning is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just installed Xfce spin on a new virtualbox vm yesterday, followed these steps:
    Booted new vm with fedora 29 live xfce
    From live system, Install to hard disk. Disk is unpartitioned at this point
    In the Storage section, verify the correct empty disk space is selected
    Choose custom partitioning.
    In the custom partitioning screen there is a message that "you haven't created any partitions" and click the link to create them automatically
    Then edit the resulting disk layout as required. Default for my system was a 1gb partition for /boot (as ext4), and a 2nd partition for the rest of the disk as LVM
    The installer created lvm volumes for root ( / ) and swap. You can edit this partitioning/lvm layout at this point if you desire
    Continue to finish the system installation.
    I've always had good luck aiming anaconda at unpartitioned disk space rather than any pre-partitioning with gparted or similar.

I do agree the installer screens are a pretty pathetic UI design, but the installer does OK once you get the hang of it.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vinoman
    Every time I tried to set the mount point / and add number of MB (111000) it wouldn't take. I wrote it a couple of ways with mb and without and still it wouldn't change the amount for the / partition!
    I've heard people complain about other Linux installers/Gparted not able to delete Fedora LVM partitions from a running Linux Live session. May need to use Gparted live or an external non-Linux program to get rid of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope in the future Anaconda will be able to re-partition a hard drive without having to use another program to delete/partition the hard drive in Fedora.
    I have F 30 beta on a new drive... that's why I was able to create one / partition in ext4. (the other ssd w/ F29 was wiped clean with parted magic and used for another distro)
    Will I be able to update the beta to final version May 7 by just running dnf update until the final version comes out?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vinoman
    Will I be able to update the beta to final version May 7 by just running dnf update until the final version comes out?
    yes

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrainBoy
    I've heard people complain about other Linux installers/Gparted not able to delete Fedora LVM partitions from a running Linux Live session. May need to use Gparted live or an external non-Linux program to get rid of them.
    It is possible if you force an unmount of all 'locked' LVM volumes. From experience this can be done through GParted and KDE Partition Editor allows it too.