[SOLVED] USB boot; HDD storage
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USB boot; HDD storage

Hey I'm kind of new to this stuff and I couldn't find anything about the subject soo.... yeah
    I've created a bootable SD card for Fedora 29, but the storage on the SD card(16gb) won't last long with the applications I need to install, and this leads to my question: is there a way to still boot from the SD card but move the storage to a partition on the internal hard drive of my laptop?

F.Y.I I didn't just install Fedora as I already have a main OS installed on the laptop for personal use and I don't want to accidentally corrupt it through a mistake I might make in an attempt at dual booting.
    Main OS - Personal use
    Fedora - Programming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: USB boot; HDD storage

If the Fedora installation on the SD is a default installation it should be a LVM setup. If this is the case, then it's rather easy to add a partition from another disk to the volume group. By typing command as root or sudo: fdisk -l, you should see LVM in the output as in the example below:
    Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sda1 2048 411647 409600 200M EFI System
    /dev/sda2 411648 2508799 2097152 1G Linux filesystem
    /dev/sda3 2508800 41940991 39432192 18.8G Linux LVM
    This tutorial shows how to create a partition on another disk and add it to the volume group, you don't need to create the partition with fdisk as in this tutorial, you can create it from within Windows, Gparted or whatever partition creation utility you choose, but it's ID (partition type) should be 8e.
    The tute starts with "Logical Volume Extending", then goes to "Reducing Logical Volume (LVM)", the later you can ignore of course.
    In his case he expands the root logical volume to encompass the newly added partition, his is labeled "/dev/vg_tecmint/LogVol01", if you have a default setup your root logical volume should be "/dev/fedora/root".
    Last edited by BrainBoy; 12th April 2019 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: USB boot; HDD storage

Quote Originally Posted by BrainBoy
    If the Fedora installation on the SD is a default installation it should be a LVM setup. If this is the case, then it's rather easy to add a partition from another disk to the volume group. By typing command as root or sudo: fdisk -l, you should see LVM in the output as in the example below:

This tutorial shows how to create a partition on another disk and add it to the volume group, you don't need to create the partition with fdisk as in this tutorial, you can create it from within Windows, Gparted or whatever partition creation utility you choose, but it's ID (partition type) should be 8e.
    The tute starts with "Logical Volume Extending", then goes to "Reducing Logical Volume (LVM)", the later you can ignore of course.
    In his case he expands the root logical volume to encompass the newly added partition, his is labeled "/dev/vg_tecmint/LogVol01", if you have a default setup your root logical volume should be "/dev/fedora/root".
    Thanks! It worked!