AR9285 Wifi : Need to reboot ADSL box every day to get successful connection
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AR9285 Wifi : Need to reboot ADSL box every day to get successful connection

I've read many posts for a similar 4WAY_HANDSHAKE_TIMEOUT issue, but none seems to have the same root cause.

When I try to connect to my box from my laptop PC, I have dmesg saying "wlp2s0: associated", but 6 seconds later I get a "wlp2s0: deauthenticated from aa:c3:f1:83:b8:d0 (Reason: 15=4WAY_HANDSHAKE_TIMEOUT)". So this looks like other posts.

But the funny thing is that rebooting my ADSL box solves the problem for me, so the password stored in the NetworkManager applet and other settings are OK.
    Then I can reboot or power-cycle my PC many times and I get a successful connection after each boot.
    Then I power-off my PC, goes to sleep, and power on my PC the next day ... and the problem is back! Again I have to power cycle my box to fix the problem.

And when I boot my PC under Windows 7 I never get the problem, so I guess the hardware of my PC and the box (sofware + hardware) are OK.

My box is a Freebox HD (from the French "Free" internet provider). It is configured for WPAv1, CCMP/PSK (no TKIP). I've noticed that each time I reboot it, its MAC address is changing.
    My laptop PC is running Fedora 29 x86_64, but same problem at least down to Fedora 23 (tested with USB live image so a clean configuration).
    The wifi chip on this PC is a Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 (ath9k driver)

I've tried to debug this by running wpa_supplicant manually with debug enabled (-dd), and compared the output logs in the following three cases :
    1- after reboot of the box with a bad passphrase (connection failing as expected)
    2- after reboot of the box with a valid passphrase (connection OK)
    3- next day with a valid passphrase (connection failing unexpectedly)
    The first difference in the logs is that, once associated, the following lines are missing in the third case :
    Code:
    l2_packet_receive: src=da:cd:c6:b3:48:c4 len=99
    wlp2s0: RX EAPOL from da:cd:c6:b3:48:c4
    So it look like the PC should receive a packet to start authentication but it receives nothing and timeouts with the 4WAY_HANDSHAKE_TIMEOUT in dmesg

Any advice to debug this issue ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: AR9285 Wifi : Need to reboot ADSL box every day to get successful connection

It turns out that this problem between the ath9k driver and my AP (ADSL box) does not occur on another PC having a chip managed by the ath5k driver, nor with any other laptops/tablets I have.
    This seems not related to Fedora

I've open a bugzilla here : https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203545