Accessibility and security
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accessibility and security

Hi all,

i opperate a media server for my self and my folks, i use a mysql db and im looking to install phpmyadmin to administer the mysql database.

im really not a fan of installing software like Apache due to exposing my system to unnecessary risk and exposure.

is it worth the risks entailed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Accessibility and security

Why would you be opening yourself to unnecessary risk? I assume you have a firewall on your router which would prevent people outside you're network accessing port 80 on the server? Unless you have really tech savy folks and you're worried about them hacking the server?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Accessibility and security

As noted by HaydnH only do so if your firewall/router does not permit port traffic through to any web server such as apache you install, 80,8080,443 etc. I do run a home webserver for my personal use with port 80 and 443 open and my apache logs are full of requests for urls containing phpMyAdmin even though I do not have phpmyadmin; it is a popular target (even with no domain name and a random isp assigned ip-address it got hit a lot with those requests).
    But there is no issue with running phpmyadmin as long as your router/firewall does not allow any external network traffic through to your home network devices such as the media server.
    The only concern would be if once apache is installed you wanted to use it as a web server, such as your folks a few years down the track suddenly finding a really easy way of making all those family photos available to remote relatives and opening the port(s) at a later time whilst forgetting phpmyadmin is installed.

One irrelevant question would be why does the software on your media server cause disruption/conflicts within your mysql db ?. Your media server interface should be able to manage the content it is supposed to manage and should even have 'cleanup' plugins available. If you need to resort to, and start manually editing the mysql database contents outside of the media software that probably poses a greater risk of disruption of function to your media server than any hacker.

But as long as your router/firewall forbids all traffic destined for a web server from ever reaching your media server, there is no 'external' risk and exposure from using it.