Containers for Gnome extensions
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Containers for Gnome extensions

I use Gnome mostly, followed by KDE, followed by Deepin. All three work on Fedora30 under a common LOGON with the kde,gnome,deepin merge together. I love it.

My concern is about gnome extensions. Prior to Gnome 3.28, my favourite extension was TaskBar@zpydr . It is a superior dash-to-doc, where the dash is left where it is, without loss of functionality, and a copy of the dash was made available. I also used caffeine, and some other extensions that are broken with Fedora 30. In otherwords, Gnome ignored the impacts to their extension writers, and these extensions are what made gnome popular.

Will I be able to package an extension as a container (flatpack/pancake) and most always have that extension version or extension function available to me?
    Currently 80% of the Gnome extensions for F30 Gnome 3.32 are non-functional. I don't want to lose the use of the extensions that made gnome a useful interface for my needs.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Containers for Gnome extensions

Will I be able to package an extension as a container (flatpack/pancake) and most always have that extension version or extension function available to me?
    I guess that the reason that extensions stop working is because the underlying Gnome API has been changed.
    Hence there is no point in keeping old extensions - they are never going to work again unless they are updated for the new API.

User error. Please replace user and try again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Containers for Gnome extensions

Quote Originally Posted by ocratato
    I guess that the reason that extensions stop working is because the underlying Gnome API has been changed.
    Hence there is no point in keeping old extensions - they are never going to work again unless they are updated for the new API.
    I fully understand that the apis have changed. Every gnome release knocked out some API function. Because the extensions that I favoured and used no longer function, I have moved to KDE. I may look at Gnome again in late June or July after it has been released and initial bugs shaken out. Hopefully extension authors will fix up their extensions (only 20% of extensions work with Gnome 3.32 )
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840