Kernel 5 does not boot. How do I debug?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kernel 5 does not boot. How do I debug?

I have a Dell XPS-15 9570 with 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8750H. Ever since upgrading to kernel version 5, my laptop won't boot unless I select an earlier 4.?? kernel from the Grub menu. The display flashes strangely and I don't see the prompt for the partition encryption password unless I plug in an external monitor. When I add 'nomodeset' in grub, the flashing display problem goes away, but it still won't boot. I've kept the NVidia graphics disabled with nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau, so only the Intel graphics should be active.

I haven't had to debug boot problems before. I'd love to be able to file a bug, but I'm not sure where to begin.

Update: When I don't add 'nomodeset' in grub, but plug in an external monitor, I am able to see the disk encryption prompt on the external monitor while the laptop's built-in display blinks. After showing some progress in the boot flow on the eternal monitor, then the external monitor begins to blink also. When I check journalctl, I see many messages such as:

gsd-color[2071]: no xrandr-DP-1 device found: Failed to find output xrandr-DP-1
    gsd-color[2071]: no xrandr-DP-3 device found: Failed to find output xrandr-DP-3
    gsd-color[2071]: no xrandr-eDP-1 device found: Failed to find output xrandr-eDP-1
    gsd-color[2071]: no xrandr-eDP-1 device found: Failed to find output xrandr-eDP-1
    This message only appears a few times on the Kernel 4 boot, but repeats hundreds of times on the kernel 5 boot.

journalctl output here.
    Last edited by cquickstad; 2nd April 2019 at 01:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Kernel 5 does not boot. How do I debug?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've filed a bug here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi mate, I also have a problem with the latest kernel, so I had 4.*, then installed kernel 5.0.3 fine, I set up grub to have only 2 kernels. After I installed the 5.0.5 kernel, the 4.* kernel was removed and when I boot my laptop (same as yours - Dell XPS 15 9570), the only option to boot is kernel 5.0.3, along with my previously installed Windows 10 option (thankfully it is there). I'm worried that if I upgrade to the more recent kernel than 5.0.5, the only option to boot Fedora (kernel 5.0.3) will disappear and hence will make it unbootable. I know if I ignore updating software on Fedora it will attempt to install the updates during the restart automatically which is annoying so have to save my data somewhere now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by docmccoy
    Hi mate, I also have a problem with the latest kernel, so I had 4.*, then installed kernel 5.0.3 fine, I set up grub to have only 2 kernels. After I installed the 5.0.5 kernel, the 4.* kernel was removed and when I boot my laptop (same as yours - Dell XPS 15 9570), the only option to boot is kernel 5.0.3, along with my previously installed Windows 10 option (thankfully it is there). I'm worried that if I upgrade to the more recent kernel than 5.0.5, the only option to boot Fedora (kernel 5.0.3) will disappear and hence will make it unbootable
    Increase the "installonly_limit" in /etc/dnf/dnf.conf to a larger number like 5, that will let it store more kernels. You can make that as large as you like as long as /boot has the room for them
    Code:
    installonly_limit=5
    "room" means about 50MB per kernel, I have 3 kernels and my /boot is using 145MB. I usually set /boot to 2GB which is plenty for anything I can ever use (disk space is cheap and 2GB is nothing now)

If you like your current kernel, you can lock out future kernel updates by adding this
    Code:
    exclude=kernel*
    in the /etc/dnf/dnf.conf
    I know if I ignore updating software on Fedora it will attempt to install the updates during the restart automatically which is annoying so have to save my data somewhere now.
    I don't know of this, on my Fedora installs I only have it installing updates when I manually choose it. I switch to root with "sudo -i" then I use "dnf update" and I even have the chance to abort it with 'n' or accept with 'y'

I guess you're using Gnome and this is really occurring when you go into Gnome desktop, in that case there's usually a control there you would use to disable package updates. I always remove "PackageKit" package so maybe that's why I'm not bothered with this and I run KDE desktop.
    Last edited by marko; 6th April 2019 at 08:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is likely the root cause of the problem.
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109959

It looks like they are working on testing a fix that works for everyone.

The problem is in the display port link training code that Intel developers introduced. The new code stared training one link first, but some displays (such as the one built into my Dell) only support training with the maximum number of links. Because the links don't train, the graphical environment can't start and the boot fails.

Until the fix makes it into Fedora, we can keep loading kernel 4.20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And by "train" what happens is that they (the fascists at Intel) have decided, just like that, to include "Copyright Protection" to your display signal, so that soonish you won't be able to see what they don't want you to see.

"Computing" is fast approaching it's sad end.
    "monsters John ... monsters from the ID..."
    "ma vule teva maar gul nol naya"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you marko, yes updated the /etc/dnf/dnf.conf to help remedy and yes - using Gnome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cquickstad
    This is likely the root cause of the problem.
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109959

It looks like they are working on testing a fix that works for everyone.

The problem is in the display port link training code that Intel developers introduced. The new code stared training one link first, but some displays (such as the one built into my Dell) only support training with the maximum number of links. Because the links don't train, the graphical environment can't start and the boot fails.
    Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher
    Until the fix makes it into Fedora, we can keep loading kernel 4.20.
    why i can't load it ( i speak for kernel 4.20) ?
    Last edited by klimbo123; 12th April 2019 at 06:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kernel 5.0.6 was installed today even though I edited the /etc/dnf/dnf.conf to skip that... I can see the new kernel when I boot and it is working fine though. They have probably fixed the issue. When I did dnf update today I also noticed that new linux firmware (58 megabytes) was installed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixed in kernel 5.0.7-200.fc29.x86_64. It booted and I'm running it right now!