[SOLVED] Ralink Technology, Corp. Adapter wireless MT7601U Would you help me find and install
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ralink Technology, Corp. Adapter wireless MT7601U Would you help me find and install

Ralink Technology, Corp. Adapter wireless MT7601U

Can someone help me find and install the right drivers for the device please?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Ralink Technology, Corp. Adapter wireless MT7601U Would you help me find and inst

Ralink were taken over by MediaTek and they have not released any module updates for a couple of years for your device.

if it's not working with current kernels, there aren't any current modules you can add for this device. support was supposedly added for it in kernel 4.2 but that said it may have been removed or dropped since. if your system has an internal wireless adaptor you need to try disabling that so the usb ralink is not blocked by interference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Ralink Technology, Corp. Adapter wireless MT7601U Would you help me find and inst

And an antenna to boost signal with even 5G (given my notebook has only 2.4) but that enjoys a good support with Fedora and possibly an easy installation what would you recommend??

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xzj8b3
    And an antenna to boost signal with even 5G (given my notebook has only 2.4) but that enjoys a good support with Fedora and possibly an easy installation what would you recommend??
    I make a point of not recommending USB devices since they are hit and miss with Linux. The vendors alternate between different makes of chipset so it's hard to tell what you are getting really until you actually plug the device in these days.

You can use this page as a reference but again, what is written there may be out of date as per your ralink device support status.

However, if it were me I'd carry on using the internal device since it actually works. Both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz WLAN have benefits, 2.4 GHz may be slower but it has better signal strength through walls and further away from the router.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Re: Ralink Technology, Corp. Adapter wireless MT7601U Would you help me find and inst

Quote Originally Posted by antikythera
    I make a point of not recommending USB devices since they are hit and miss with Linux. The vendors alternate between different makes of chipset so it's hard to tell what you are getting really until you actually plug the device in these days.

You can use this page as a reference but again, what is written there may be out of date as per your ralink device support status.

However, if it were me I'd carry on using the internal device since it actually works. Both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz WLAN have benefits, 2.4 GHz may be slower but it has better signal strength through walls and further away from the router.
    I know in the future I better decide to change routers and take one seriously that at that point I would really have the advantages!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there any terminal method to make the signal more stable with Fedora?