FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backups in the modern world

Hi Guys,

I always see people, myself included, making sure people take backups before performing certain tasks. I was just thinking, ignoring business use, do they still make sense for personal computing? We live in a world with clouds , if my laptop died I don't think there's a single bit of data that I couldn't retrieve from the cloud somewhere. Google mail/calendar, all my code's in GIT, all my important documents are on google drive or in my email, my photo's are all spread through Photobucket, Facebook and Google. I still have about 100GB of MP3 music on a mirrored NAS drive which isn't backed up anywhere else, but having said that I usually use Spotify etc for regular listening or a higher quality source if listening on a decent sound system so wouldn't be overly upset if I lost that.

Thoughts?

Haydn.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Backups in the modern world

I suppose it depends on the value you put on your stuff and how much you trust the cloud.
    https://arstechnica.com/information-...o-one-noticed/

Due to some seriously brain dead decision making by our main telecoms provider I was without internet (or phone) for several months.
    It was actually one of my more productive periods.

User error. Please replace user and try again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ocratato
    I suppose it depends on the value you put on your stuff and how much you trust the cloud.
    https://arstechnica.com/information-...o-one-noticed/

Due to some seriously brain dead decision making by our main telecoms provider I was without internet (or phone) for several months.
    It was actually one of my more productive periods.
    I saw that about MySpace, my first reaction was that of being surprised they were still going! Events like that are rare though, and the probability of it happening in between your system going down re-syncing with the cloud seems negligible to me. If Google did the same thing then I'd imagine it would be game over for their commercial cloud business, so I imagine their backups and redundancy is far superior to an almost dead social network as the risks to the business are far higher.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess I am not 'in'to the modern world. All my data is stored locally and offsite. Nothing is 'stored' in the cloud. My email is down loaded to Thunderbird and not kept up 'in the cloud'. Don't use photobucket, or Facebook.... So backups are relevant to me! And I am a 'technical' person doing software development.... But don't trust the cloud/internet... Go figure....
    Last edited by rclark; 21st March 2019 at 08:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    And I am a 'technical' person doing software development....
    Do you use git or anything?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For most small projects no need. Yes for our bigger projects (energy management systems)... But right now it is 'local' mode only. We are thinking about eventually setting up a company git repository for everyones use.. But it would be in-house. Don't send anything outside the company. Nor do I send anything 'up' at home for my fun projects. In the previous company I worked for, we used svn. Again all internal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local backups still make sense. Floppy disks are your best bet.
    OS: Fedora 29 x86_64 | Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P | CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz | RAM: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 | Disk: 500GB SATA | Video: Intel HD Graphics 2000 128MB | Sound: Realtek ALC662 | Ethernet: Intel 82579LM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah .... 30+ years ago floppies did make sense -- so agree with you . Then CDs, then DVDs, then thumb drives, finally portable hard drives took over. Cheap easy snapshots of ones data in each generation of storage.... So still there is no need for the 'cloud' and letting someone else handle/browse/access your data at their leisure.... and of course, the kicker, to make sure you pay you bill to stay 'connected' to access it (what a racket).... BTW, I a couple months ago I finally got rid of some 400+ 3.5 floppies that were taking up space.... And yes, I do still have a USB 3.5 floppy drive and I kept a single box of brand new 1.44 floppies for ... who knows what .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    So still there is no need for the 'cloud' and letting someone else handle/browse/access your data at their leisure.... and of course, the kicker, to make sure you pay you bill to stay 'connected' to access it (what a racket)....
    Yep, total scam. It amazes me how much people are willing to trust others with their personal data. Actually paying those people is even more amazing.

BTW, I imagined you as a tape drive kinda guy. I still have an old SCSI Exabyte 8mm drive somewhere, along with the tapes. Good times.
    OS: Fedora 29 x86_64 | Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P | CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz | RAM: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 | Disk: 500GB SATA | Video: Intel HD Graphics 2000 128MB | Sound: Realtek ALC662 | Ethernet: Intel 82579LM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I forgot about the tapes. In college, my part time job was doing backups on a Prime computer system every Friday night. You know the big tape reels. Fun way to spend one's Friday night loading/unloading tapes (start about 22:00 hours, get home when sun starts to come up) ... Don't think I personally owned a tape machine although later we used them at a small company I worked for out of college ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Floppies? 9 inch reel tapes??? Oh, the young kids today...

All my data is on IBM punch cards!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jbuckley2004
    Floppies? 9 inch reel tapes??? Oh, the young kids today...

All my data is on IBM punch cards!!!
    The 9,000 Km card deck can be a trifle inconvenient though.
    I was re-organising my store room and found a bit of electronics I built many years ago for storing data onto audio cassettes. To back up my few terabytes of stuff was going to require several container loads of tapes. The worse problem was the centuries required to make a backup.

User error. Please replace user and try again

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah storage media density (plus access speed and reliability) has sure changed over the years. A single photo won't even fit on a 1.44M floppy... Now we mostly talk about Gigabytes of info, but Terabytes is becoming more common now.... I was 'lucky' in one sense... As a freshman, the college seniors was the last class to deal with the card readers and batch processing... First year of my career, there was only one deployed machine that used paper tape to load the plant control system software. I didn't have to deal with it. Yesss. But, burned and erased a lot of EProms those first years until Flash finally came along.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi HaydnH
    I git all my development stuff. I have been looking at using the git philosophy to create backup generations. In a way it is what timeshift program does. (I do not use timeshift)
    As for backing up locally, I have three external hard disks, One is not in this building. I backup on the 15th and last day in the month.
    My rotation. disk1 =>disk3( off premises), disk2 ===>disk1 and disk3 ==>disk2
    With that rotation, I get to visit my cousin every two weeks and If I need a full recovery, it's at most 2 weeks loss of data.
    I do this routine from years of business practice. Now it is habit that I do it to enjoy a coffee with cousins. (My sisters live 3 timezones away)
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I get to visit my cousin every two weeks
    disk 3 relocation - an excuse to visit Adam more often, I'm sure Aviva wouldn't complain either...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast